Wiki Posts
Search

B6350 [BUR-JFK diversions]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2010, 11:06 am
Original Poster

B6350 [BUR-JFK diversions]

Hello Everyone
I've been a member of this site for a since 2006, but I mostly just read the boards here.
I have a question about something I've noticed the last few days about flight 350 (BUR-JFK). I've noticed that the flight was diverted twice that I'm aware of, one morning it was diverted to LAS and the next day DEN, then today the flight was delayed in leaving BUR (schedule for 7:10, left at 9:24).
Just curious what's going on with this flight.

I've been on this flight in the past and we never had to make any stops for any reason.

Thanks for the information
Old Dec 1, 2010, 11:57 am

Programs: Trueblue, Skymiles, AAdvantage
This flight is making a fuel stop, the A320 sometimes has trouble making it cross country when the winds are not favorable. Add in the fact that Burbank has a shorter runway so they really can't carry a full load of fuel. In the winter especially you will see a few fuel stops.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brigri
This flight is making a fuel stop, the A320 sometimes has trouble making it cross country when the winds are not favorable. Add in the fact that Burbank has a shorter runway so they really can't carry a full load of fuel. In the winter especially you will see a few fuel stops.
Thanks for the information. I know about the runways at Burbank as I've flown out of there before. I can understand having to make a stop for fuel, but you would thing the A320 can fly a longer distance then Las Vegas or Denver before having to stop for fuel.

I have flown this flight to JFK a few times (late September) and have returned to BUR (don't remember the flight number, but it was late September as well) and we never had to stop for fuel. But of course it wasn't winter either.

Anyway, thanks again for the information.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
I don't think it's that the A320 can't get further than DEN or LAS, it's just that B6 has stations there, and probably have favorable fuel contracts - as opposed to stopping else where they don't have a presence. If you think about it, those are really the stations that are the furthest east on the BUR-JFK route (of course, there's ORD, but they'd probably have a hard time with landing slots and all that...and BUF I guess, but there probably wouldn't be enough fuel to get there if they couldn't get to JFK).
Old Dec 1, 2010, 2:40 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
The OP is referring to eastbound tech stops. This only occurs due to the runway at BUR. Westbound tech stops are a different story, as those usually occur in the middle of winter when strong headwinds battle the range of the A320.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

As I said before, I took this flight twice in the middle of September (once in 2006 and the second in 2007) we were able to make it to JFK without landing for fuel, and on my return trip to Burbank on an early morning flight from JFK (also in mid-September) we make it to Burbank non-stop.

That's why I posted the question about the flights stopping in Las Vegas and Denver over the last few days.

I guess in the winter months the A320 sometimes can't make transcon flights without stopping for fuel.

Does this happen often, or does it depend on the weather along the route?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MikeEMT609
As I said before, I took this flight twice in the middle of September (once in 2006 and the second in 2007) we were able to make it to JFK without landing for fuel, and on my return trip to Burbank on an early morning flight from JFK (also in mid-September) we make it to Burbank non-stop.

That's why I posted the question about the flights stopping in Las Vegas and Denver over the last few days.

I guess in the winter months the A320 sometimes can't make transcon flights without stopping for fuel.

Does this happen often, or does it depend on the weather along the route?
99.95% of the time the flight makes it just fine. I've flown the route both east and west at least 20 times in the past few years (in fall, winter, spring, and summer) and have never had to stop. It really depends on weather along the route. They probably pick the airport with the cheapest fuel along the way to stop at.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 8:30 am

If winds force the use of the shorter runway an A320 is unable to take on a fuel load sufficient to make the flight to JFK without significant limitations in terms of passengers. LAS, SLC, and DEN are common fuel stops because JetBlue has operations there so they have fuel contracts and also maintenance personnel if a mechanical issue develops. Looking at the flight paths of various BUR-JFK flights LAS and DEN are both pretty close to the plan and while SLC is a little further north than the normal plans, JetBlue has a large operation there and if it looks like the weather will be better if they go slightly more north over the midwest then SLC may be more ideal
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seanherron
99.95% of the time the flight makes it just fine. I've flown the route both east and west at least 20 times in the past few years (in fall, winter, spring, and summer) and have never had to stop. It really depends on weather along the route. They probably pick the airport with the cheapest fuel along the way to stop at.
Agreed! In the 30+ times I've flown JFK-BUR I've only had to make a westbound tech stop once (LAS) and once going east (SLC.) Even with tech stops, we only arrived maybe 45 - 1 hour late.

If B6 padded their schedules as heavily as United does, you could make the tech stop and still arrive 'early' to your final destination. haha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.