Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Interview for Airline Op Crew this Wednesday!!!!!

Old Nov 1, 2010, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

I am excited to say that a recruiter called me this weekend and set me up for a group interview this Wednesday. I was thrilled to receive the call because I applied for two positions (ground op + airline op crew) online. I almost forgot about applying it has been so long. The recruiter was very nice on the phone and we chatted for approx 10 minutes. She asked me a couple questions about my previous employer (what I loved and hated about them) ect. It was very relaxed and cordial and I was not expecting JetBlue to call me on a Saturday afternoon =).

Now, all I have been doing since then is researching about the company, finding how the interview process works and getting insight. Although I found a lot of answers throughout these forums and other websites, I am still interested in knowing a few things. Another prospective interviewer from another website made a list of questions that weren't answered and some of them are pertinent. Here goes:

1. If I am selected at the group interview to continue the process, does anyone know how long it takes to actually start training?

2. Although I will clear the mandatory TSA/FAA 10 year background check because my background is clean, does JetBlue care much about the status of consumer credit files? I have some late payments and chargeoffs as a result of the turmoil in the economy over the past year.

3. Answered

4. New hires will receive the required training by JetBlue. Does anyone know if FAA certifiation is a part of this course or if FAA certification is even required for the crew scheduling position or airline operations crew?

5. Answered

6. What kind of flying perks will I receive with JetBlue and when can I start taking advantage of them? Are you discouraged from using them and how often can I use them for myself?

7. What kind of advancement opportunities exist with JetBlue? If I perform well at my job for say two years, and wish to advance to a technology function or higher function in the same department, is there good consideration for internal associates wishing to move up or move on in the company?

I am most concerened with the background check as I have defaulted on my school loans due to unemployment. My credit score isn't something that I throw around proudly as it is less than great. Another thing is my license is suspended, how will this reflect on the decision.

Thank you all who will take the time to answer any of these questions and I look foward with great excitement to work for a company with values and foundations such as JetBlue!!!
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:13 pm

Programs: TrueBlue
I think your biggest problem might be the suspended license. I know some airport ops positions require it, but even the paperwork says it isn't all.

As for the credit: my credit is nowhere near perfect (actually isn't even near "decent", it's far closer to the "terrible" end of the spectrum) and I never heard a word about it.

Flight benefits (assuming it's the same/similar to what they offer the call center): you can fly as often as you'd like to anywhere JB flies as long as you're not missing work to do it, free of charge. (Minus international taxes. If you want to fly internationally, you're paying your own taxes.) Your parents, your children under the age of 18, and your spouse/domestic partner/significant other can fly free of charge as well. (Again, caveat about international.) You will be flying standby, so make sure you've got emergency ways to get home in case of things like IROP's or emergencies. JB has a lot of reciprocal agreements with assorted airlines that you can fly on as well. (I flew SLC to ATL r/t for $109, for example.) Granted, that's still going to be standby, so be prepared to get home full fare just in case. They can suspend your flight benefits if you end up missing work as a result of not making it home on time.

Granted, I'm in the res center, not airport ops, but time from my group interview to actual hire date was almost a year. To be fair, they'd done a temporary hiring freeze, and I was in the first class post freeze, but don't necessarily expect that you'll have a paycheck in 3 weeks. They did let me know about a month, maybe a month and a half, ahead of time so I could give my (then) employer adequate notice and make plans.

Advancement opportunities do exist, they'll (almost always) post jobs internally first, and then post externally after they don't fill internally. Volunteering for extra opportunities or temporary opportunities really does help you promote, as it would in any company. One thing to watch is your attendance, that's one of the major barriers I've ever seen to someone's promoting. Again, speaking as (former) res, not airport ops, but here they let you apply for higher positions as soon as you want, they don't make you wait two years or anything like that.

If you want any other information, feel free to PM me. =)

Lia
Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by striziz88
1. If I am selected at the group interview to continue the process, does anyone know how long it takes to actually start training?
In my experience, the longest part of the process is waiting for the interview. Once that's done, things will probably move swiftly once you're selected.

2. Although I will clear the mandatory TSA/FAA 10 year background check because my background is clean, does JetBlue care much about the status of consumer credit files? I have some late payments and chargeoffs as a result of the turmoil in the economy over the past year.
Again only in my experience, I think you'll be alright. Like Lia, I've never heard a word about my credit history, despite it being "less than perfect." ;-)

4. New hires will receive the required training by JetBlue. Does anyone know if FAA certifiation is a part of this course or if FAA certification is even required for the crew scheduling position or airline operations crew?
Initial AO crewmembers don't receive FAA certification, so to speak. You can later go through additional training to become a Ground Security Coordinator, Complaint Resolution Official, or any number of courses offered by B6.

6. What kind of flying perks will I receive with JetBlue and when can I start taking advantage of them? Are you discouraged from using them and how often can I use them for myself?
As soon as you are badged, you can begin using your travel perks. You'll fill out an eligibility card for family members; once that's sent to the travel department, they can begin using their benefits. Agreements with other airlines are plentiful, and if you're in AO, you'll likely have additional station agreements with carriers at your airport. Some other airlines require you to be employed for 6 months before flying on them; some don't. Lia's explanation is pretty good.

You can fly as often as you like, anywhere in the JetBlue network. I have never seen or heard of anyone being discouraged from using their travel benefits -- though you're still responsible for reporting as assigned to work. "I got stuck in X" is a bad reason for not showing.

7. What kind of advancement opportunities exist with JetBlue? If I perform well at my job for say two years, and wish to advance to a technology function or higher function in the same department, is there good consideration for internal associates wishing to move up or move on in the company?
Like Lia said, almost all openings within the company are posted internally first, to existing crewmembers. There are plenty of opportunities to advance, and it's always good to take on additional roles and responsibilities if they're available.

Another thing is my license is suspended, how will this reflect on the decision.
That's a good question, and I don't know the answer. For AO crew, one of the requirements on the application is

* Depending upon location, may need to possess and maintain a valid
Driver License and a driving record from the state of your primary
residence that meets JetBlue Airways insurance standards
So, depending on your location and duties, you may need a license. If you've disclosed this information already and were still selected to interview, you may be alright, but the only way to really know is to ask the recruiter.

Thank you all who will take the time to answer any of these questions and I look foward with great excitement to work for a company with values and foundations such as JetBlue!!!
I'm not exaggerating when I say that JetBlue is one of the greatest companies I've ever worked for. The atmosphere and culture here really is much different than you'll find most other places.

Best of luck to you!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

^^ Thank you both for the answers.

My interview was today and I feel pretty good about it. It was a good and bad thing to have an interview panel/roundtable style. It was bad because some people were extremely nervous and fumbled every word, had long drawn out stories but it was good because I excel at public speaking, so I was really a stand out.

Hope to hear from JB soon!!
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Just a little update. I received the call from HQ to go for the second part of the interview process. This will include physical exam and they said to bring two forms of I.D. =)
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:38 am

You will probably have to attend a class at your airport that explains FAA/TSA rules for displaying your official airport identification and challenging persons in secured areas that are not wearing an ID badge.

If your job description will involve any driving on the AOA then you'll have to attend another class explaining FAA regs dealing with that.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
. Another thing is my license is suspended, how will this reflect on the decision.
In order to drive on the AOA you must have a valid drivers license. Most likely a deal breaker.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.