Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Tell me the prices are going to drop (BOS-FLL) on empty planes for mid January

Tell me the prices are going to drop (BOS-FLL) on empty planes for mid January

Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Should prices drop (BOS-FLL) on empty planes for mid Jan (still hoping for info)

Been watching mid January for Boston to Fort Lauderdale, and the prices have done nothing but go up. Was $159, then $179, then $196 (or so), now it's $200 one way, and over $250 coming back (gotta do non-stop, I don't trust JFK during winter for a changeover).

I know about school vacation, etc, but figured we'd see a drop some time over the past 8 weeks that we've been checking (logging in nearly every day), but no luck. So decided tonight just to book it and cut our losses. Get in there to see the flights are over 80% empty! So closed the browser tab, and came over here to see if anyone has any advice/history, etc.

If the planes remain this empty, will they eventually reduce the price? And if so, how soon will they start doing so? I can handle it going up a bit more, but it's close to ridiculous already!

Thanks!

Last edited by Out of my Element; Nov 3, 2010 at 6:43 am Reason: updating question
Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:46 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Book now

I do not understand why you did not book. If the price drops Jetblue will give you credit. just call them
Old Oct 30, 2010, 4:22 pm

Programs: Trueblue, Skymiles, AAdvantage
You are price-protected for any drops. Is the trip around MLK weekend? That might be a reason the prices are higher.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
We hardly ever fly JetBlue, so I was unaware of the credit, thanks very much for that info!

How long does the credit last for? I've lost SW credits in the past.

(and yes, the down flight is MLK weekend, but the return (following weekend) is the expensive-r flight!)

Edit: Also, we didn't book already as we expected (hoped?) someone else would come through with lower prices.

Last edited by Out of my Element; Oct 31, 2010 at 8:09 am
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
time limit

credit = one year from date of credit
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:41 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
My general rule of thumb has been to book airfare when you see a fare you can live with. Now even @ $159 each way I'd say that's slightly on the high side, but don't forget if you fly someone else n/s you might wind up paying for checked bags and that might add a minimum of $50 to a r/t flight (and if you're on Spirit they charge for everything short of "seat belt rental" and that's only because they haven't figured a way to get around FAA rules regarding the need for seatbelts.

I actually recently purchased a JetBlue ticket for May travel from Boston to Aruba, significantly more than on other airlines but significantly more convenient as it's a non-stop flight. Will keep checking fares in case they go down and I can get a credit.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djs
My general rule of thumb has been to book airfare when you see a fare you can live with. Now even @ $159 each way I'd say that's slightly on the high side, but don't forget if you fly someone else n/s you might wind up paying for checked bags and that might add a minimum of $50 to a r/t flight (and if you're on Spirit they charge for everything short of "seat belt rental" and that's only because they haven't figured a way to get around FAA rules regarding the need for seatbelts.
I live by those rules as well. Alternative is SW, so no bag fees. Spirit isn't ever in the conversation.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
So decided tonight just to book it and cut our losses. Get in there to see the flights are over 80% empty!
Did you really expect to find flights full 10 weeks before departure?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by audio-nut
Did you really expect to find flights full 10 weeks before departure?
For a Boston to Florida, holiday week? I expected them fuller than 20% full.

Which is why I asked the question: If the planes don't fill up at the current fares, when might they start to drop? I do not anticipate flying on JetBlue again in 2011, so a credit is most likely to expire before I can use it.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:51 am

For a Boston to Florida, holiday week? I expected them fuller than 20% full.

Which is why I asked the question: If the planes don't fill up at the current fares, when might they start to drop? I do not anticipate flying on JetBlue again in 2011, so a credit is most likely to expire before I can use it.
I guess I didn't realize there is a holiday week in January.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 9:45 am
Original Poster

I guess I didn't realize there is a holiday week in January.
Yep, MLK day. Planes are still 80% plus empty, and the prices keep inching up. I'm going to wait until we're within 60 days to see if that triggers something pricewise.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:28 pm

Yep, MLK day. Planes are still 80% plus empty, and the prices keep inching up. I'm going to wait until we're within 60 days to see if that triggers something pricewise.
A 3 day weekend is not exactly a "holiday week".

What do you think automatically happens 60 days out?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 8:34 am
Original Poster

A 3 day weekend is not exactly a "holiday week".

What do you think automatically happens 60 days out?
I don't think anything automatically happens at 60 days out.

As a long time traveler, I BELIEVE that at some point in time, JetBlue has to start dropping the prices, in order to avoid flying empty plans. Since no one here has been able to give me any guidance in how they usually operate under these circumstances, I made a wild guess at a date around which I'm probably going to have to book something, for peace of mind.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:16 pm
NLS

I don't think anything automatically happens at 60 days out.

As a long time traveler, I BELIEVE that at some point in time, JetBlue has to start dropping the prices, in order to avoid flying empty plans. Since no one here has been able to give me any guidance in how they usually operate under these circumstances, I made a wild guess at a date around which I'm probably going to have to book something, for peace of mind.
In my (very finite) experience there's no way when to predict when or if price drops will happen. In the last 24 hours I've had significant (in one case over $100 for a one way) price drops for tickets I've purchased -- one is for next week and one is for the end of the month. They seem to be specific to the exact day I'm traveling and aren't seen on any of the surrounding dates.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

And the answer is: 60 days (at least in this case)

Price out dropped this AM fairly decently (nearly $100), price coming back dropped a bit less this afternoon.

Flight down is still 85% empty. Flight back is 70% empty. I expect additional drops, but we grabbed it to be safe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.