Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Tell me the prices are going to drop (BOS-FLL) on empty planes for mid January

Tell me the prices are going to drop (BOS-FLL) on empty planes for mid January

Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: US silver, DL exGM, UA ex1K (now GM), B6, WN, AA
Basically, check every TUESDAY morning. The local habit is to have outrageous sales on a one-day or three-day basis, usually starting on Tuesday. The scope of sales is totally unpredictable, and not every sale will cover your desired flights, but you basically have to check on it every Tuesday. Now...when it does drop by $100, I'm not sure if you'll have earned minimum wage for all your checking...but you will have a decent bargain!
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
I did check, on Tuesday. And on Monday, and on Sunday, and Saturday, etc, going back to the day I started this thread.

The price drops were on Wednesday.

YMMV
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
And then dropped some more on Saturday, so we've got credit.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:05 pm
NLS

Originally Posted by afsinfo
Basically, check every TUESDAY morning. The local habit is to have outrageous sales on a one-day or three-day basis, usually starting on Tuesday. The scope of sales is totally unpredictable, and not every sale will cover your desired flights, but you basically have to check on it every Tuesday. Now...when it does drop by $100, I'm not sure if you'll have earned minimum wage for all your checking...but you will have a decent bargain!
Or you can monitor the flights you want via Yapta and they'll do the checking for you (and also let you know if you are entitled to a post-booking refund)
Old Dec 2, 2010, 8:35 am
Original Poster

And a big ($95/each) drop yesterday.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

WSJ reporting that "High-Fare Holiday Bet Sours for JetBlue"
http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2010...s-for-jetblue/

Relates more to Xmas holidays, but gives some insight into B6's overall pricing strategy. Which doesn't really make a heck of a lot of sense if they're willing to price protect people on fare declines.

Excerpts:
You may recall a Middle Seat column on Sept. 23 showing how discount airlines were adopting an aggressive holiday pricing strategy, sticking to high prices on a bet that all seats would sell. It was a surprising gamble considering the weak economy.

For jetBlue Airways, it didn’t work out as well as they hoped. On Wednesday, jetBlue’s chief financial officer, Ed Barnes, told the Hudson Securities Airline Conference that the airline thought it would sell more high-priced tickets than it did, but instead had to cut prices closer to holidays.

“We had planned on the peaks being slightly stronger than maybe what the peaks are turning out to be,” Mr. Barnes said.
I'm seeing NY-FLL for as low as ~$400 r/t around Xmas/New Year's. Last year I booked a 7-day NYE cruise and ended up having to pay nearly $900 r/t each for airfare, booked the first week of December. Fares never went down and flights slowly filled up over the course of the month...
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:08 am
NLS

And BOS/FLL is now down to an insanely low $59 for many non-holiday flights in Dec and Jan due to a need to match Spirit's fares on that route...

Originally Posted by ijgordon
WSJ reporting that "High-Fare Holiday Bet Sours for JetBlue"
http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2010...s-for-jetblue/

Relates more to Xmas holidays, but gives some insight into B6's overall pricing strategy. Which doesn't really make a heck of a lot of sense if they're willing to price protect people on fare declines.

Excerpts:

I'm seeing NY-FLL for as low as ~$400 r/t around Xmas/New Year's. Last year I booked a 7-day NYE cruise and ended up having to pay nearly $900 r/t each for airfare, booked the first week of December. Fares never went down and flights slowly filled up over the course of the month...
Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NLS
And BOS/FLL is now down to an insanely low $59 for many non-holiday flights in Dec and Jan due to a need to match Spirit's fares on that route...
I have seen $64 to TPA. Don't understand how either B6 or Spirit can stay in business with these fares. Oil is pushing $90 and soon might be above $100.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Ended up with 4 drops, total fare of $225/person or so. Of course we don't get the taxes back, so it would have been better if we could have booked like that the first time. And now it's over $400/person again. Already used my credit for a quick RSW trip last week, she'll be going to LAX in the spring on the rest of the $$.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 6:19 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
TAXES?

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Ended up with 4 drops, total fare of $225/person or so. Of course we don't get the taxes back, so it would have been better if we could have booked like that the first time. And now it's over $400/person again. Already used my credit for a quick RSW trip last week, she'll be going to LAX in the spring on the rest of the $$.
The difference in tax is included in your credit
Old Dec 22, 2010, 4:16 pm
Suspended

BOS-TPA

Let's have another "High-Fare Holiday Bet": BOS-TPA, $489 ow, 2/18 or 2/19

Let the waiting-game begin
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:20 pm
NLS

Originally Posted by dieuwer2

I'm getting barraged with Yapta alert notifications for a flight I booked some tiem ago for Friday (NYC to FLL) -- the price has plummeted 48 hours before the flight!
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:32 pm
Suspended

I have 73 alerts set up with Yapta
Old Dec 27, 2010, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dieuwer2

Bigger holiday weekend, and Spring Training sessions have begun. I'd say prices will drop, but not significantly.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Bigger holiday weekend, and Spring Training sessions have begun. I'd say prices will drop, but not significantly.
True, but with unemployment at 10%+ people cannot afford expensive vacations. Consequently, loads are still very low. Prices can drop a lot from these levels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.