When to book for May 2011 travel

Old Oct 16, 2010, 11:07 am
Original Poster

When to book for May 2011 travel

Ok, so I guess that I might be posting this in the wrong place. (sorry mods)

But I just have a very basic question about pricing and flight extensions. Can any of you frequent flyers (which I am NOT) tell me if it is generally cheapest to purchase tickets on the first day that the flights are extended or if it's best to wait a bit????

We need airfare for about 20 family members on Jetblue for May travel. Have been patiently waiting for the extension and now that it's upon us (Monday) I'm not sure - do I book on Monday at the first possible chance, or is that just dumb? (sorry to those of you who will inevitably think this is a stupid question)

TIA!
Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For 20 folks I'd definitely contact the group sales department first. There are often a number of benefits that can come from going that route.

That said, the fares are often not the cheapest 9 months out. I would certainly check the fares on Monday when the go live and see if they are reasonable. If they are, book them.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:44 am

Usually it is best to book with the group department. You make a deposit and don't have to give names or final payment until 30 days prior to trip (60 days if international). However one consideration is, if you book on jetblue.com they will honor lower far if the fare goes down between now and the time you travel and you call and request it. They refund the difference to a travel bank to be used on jetblue within the next 12 months. At present the group department is no longer doing that. The schedule extension is available now.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:59 am

Programs: starwood plat 5*elite svo, usair, delta, jetblue, southwest, nwa
summer flights are loaded but the prices are way tooooo high. not using jetblue this year. continental got my business to the bahamas this year. we saved $200 per person.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.