Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arriving at Airports

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Arriving at Airports

I am flying RT JFK to BOS this weekend. The website says 60 minutes in advance for JFK and 90 minutes in advance for BOS. My BOS flight is at 7:05, that means getting to the airport at 5:30AM and leaving from where I am staying at 5AM. ( and getting up.......

My question--do you really need 90 minutes at BOS. I am risking missing or not getting on the flight if I come later. I NEED to be on that flight and will, if need be get up at 4:15AM to get there on time...

Thanks

BTW I thought I had posted this last night--but it seems to have vanished--which I do not get!
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Are you checking bags?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
What is your comfort level?

Remember, they close the doors about ten minutes before departure. If you must be on the flight as you say, then get there early. You never know what is going on at the security lines on any given day.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Airlines Gold
Because of limited spacing, security in BOS can be long.... There's a warning for you.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 3:33 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Without checking bags, I'd say that an hour is probably enough time, but of course many things can effect the time it takes to get through. Just make sure you go to the correct Security line as Terminal C has more than one set of gates and you can't get to one from the other so if you cut it close and wait in the wrong line you might not make the flight.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Hmm, i am checking a bag!---you have all convinced me--I will be at the airport at 5:30AM ( I just have to be there--no one said I have to be AWAKE!!!

Thanks--and think of me at 4:15 dragging myself out of bed!
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: Delta Gold; Amtrak Select Plus
OK. So I fly BOS-JFK on the 6am flight on Monday mornings on most weeks. I never check a bag. I usually get through security in 10 minutes or less between 5-5:15. I have seen the lines run as long as 30 minutes on heavy travel days at around this time. Admittedly, a 7am flight is a more reasonable hour for a flight than 6 and therefore there are likely to be more travelers, but there are also more security lanes. (At 5am, there are only two security lanes).

Here are a few tips for security laning: I tend to go for the left lane because that metal detector has two x-ray machines running and thus has a higher rate of passenger flow through. However, the left lane is also where flight crew check in, so the Homeland Security person will ignore you to check flight crew. For some reason, if the lines are long, the middle and right lane tend to move faster--I don't know why. Generally, the right lane gets hung up because there isn't much space between the ID checker and security so the ID checker sometimes may work a bit more slowly. If you care about radiation issues, the middle line feeds you through to the full body image scanner.

After you get past the ID checker, you're free to pick whichever x-ray lane you want, though most people don't switch lanes. (i.e. even though you clear through the right lane, you can go to the far left metal detctor). Again, I usually go for the left lane.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:09 am
Original Poster

NYP-BOS, that is invaluable information and details. I am flying to NY on Tuesday AM ( day after Colombus Day) so it may be a heavier travel day. ( since the last flight on Monday was over 3x as expensive when I booked my $34 tickets)
I am also going to try and avoid the full body scanner--just not my thing!! I'd rather not be "undressed" --even by someone in another room!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.