BOS-EWR!!!

Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:02 pm

Programs: Continental One Pass
Originally Posted by rtalk25
This is great news.

Not only will this bring down BOS-EWR fares, but it makes it possible for those in NJ (esp. those coming from the south) to get to the west coast via B6. e.g. EWR-BOS-SEA.
Given the routine delays at EWR, you're better off driving to JFK if you want to go to the west coast on JetBlue rather than connecting at BOS.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Seat13c
They have served all three major and the smaller airports (EWR, LGA, JFK, SWF, and HPN) in the NYC area for years.
I meant from BOS, which I forgot to type.

All E190s going on this route or will the A320 make an appearance?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by N639DL
I meant from BOS, which I forgot to type.
Except that B6 doesn't fly BOS-LGA. Whoopsie.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by N830MH
Great ideas!!! Lets try to freeing up to acquired the more extra slots in EWR. I think there is something else. B6 could startup on transcons flight from EWR-LAX/SFO/LAS/PHX/LGB, too.
Maybe they are going to start trying to edge out CO... though it doesn't seem to make much sense with the new AA partnership. Perhaps this will connect to AA's international flights ex-BOS?
Old Sep 6, 2010, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by sbm12
No, does not have start service BOS-LGA yet. Because this is slots controlled in LGA. They won't let do that to bring more specific routes in NYC areas. Due to lots of the congested in NYC areas. Because it was too many aircraft are awaited for takeoff from LGA. This is not real specific time in LGA. There is problems the flight will cause delayed all of the times.

Originally Posted by TheDrIsAirborne
Maybe they are going to start trying to edge out CO... though it doesn't seem to make much sense with the new AA partnership. Perhaps this will connect to AA's international flights ex-BOS?
I believe that so. Let's find out soon enough. B6 will have to decide to start codeshare partnership with AA unless government will made to approvals.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by N830MH
No, does not have start service BOS-LGA yet. Because this is slots controlled in LGA. They won't let do that to bring more specific routes in NYC areas. Due to lots of the congested in NYC areas. Because it was too many aircraft are awaited for takeoff from LGA. This is not real specific time in LGA. There is problems the flight will cause delayed all of the times.
There are also a lot of seats that go between BOS and LGA. The more available inventory creates a smaller profit margin.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Regardless of whether the flights make money or not, BOS-EWR will help build loyalty to JetBlue for BOS-based O&D passengers (like BOS-DCA). I think it's a brilliant move.

BOS is a huge O&D market, of course, yet not a fortress hub for any airline. So there's a big hole for a "hometown" airline that will build loyalty in New England. Seems to me like JetBlue is trying to fill that void.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 9:11 pm

North Jersey really needs this

As someone who grew up in the Boston area and who has lived in North Jersey for most of the last 25 years, I assure you this is much needed. I know business people who have spent $800 RT with Continental to fly EWR-BOS for lack of a viable alternative. Here are you other choices:

1. Amtrak from Newark or Metropark - 5 to 6 hours at best and not reliable or cheap
2. Drive at least 2 hours to PHL to get a reasonable airfare
3. Spend 1.5 to 3 hours (depending on traffic) driving to LGA or JFK to get a semi-reasonable airfare
4. Drive yourself - 5 to 6 hours each way, if the traffic isn't too bad
5. Trek into Manhattan to catch the MegaBus, BoltBus or Chinatown bus

At $300 RT or less, there are tons of folks from both NJ and Boston who would love to fly EWR-BOS. Break the Continental monopoly on that route and the floodgates will open.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: AA PLT
CO does have reasonable fares on this route, as long as you book more than a few days in advance and you're staying at least 3 days (I see lots of $158 round-trip fares in October, for example). The expensive fares only show up when you book close-in tickets, or if you're trip is less than 3 days. I'm sure CO will match whatever fare rules B6 uses on this route, so that will probably be a good thing for consumers. But I'd also bet that CO will do its best to defend this route by adding extra seats. They could add lots of seats by simply replacing the 735s with 738s.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by rtalk25
This is great news.

Not only will this bring down BOS-EWR fares, but it makes it possible for those in NJ (esp. those coming from the south) to get to the west coast via B6. e.g. EWR-BOS-SEA.
You'd rather add 2+ hours to the trip and risk a misconnect in BOS vs. taking a CO non-stop?
Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 201flyer
1. Amtrak from Newark or Metropark - 5 to 6 hours at best and not reliable or cheap
Acela on NWK-BOS is scheduled at 4h5min - 4h15min.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by cjgibson
CO does have reasonable fares on this route, as long as you book more than a few days in advance and you're staying at least 3 days (I see lots of $158 round-trip fares in October, for example). The expensive fares only show up when you book close-in tickets, or if you're trip is less than 3 days. I'm sure CO will match whatever fare rules B6 uses on this route, so that will probably be a good thing for consumers. But I'd also bet that CO will do its best to defend this route by adding extra seats. They could add lots of seats by simply replacing the 735s with 738s.
I just checked. Any reservation booked less than a week in advance or for a trip of less than 3 days is $810 round-trip. That is quite a bump from $158. I looks like they are trying to milk the business traveler for every possible penny on this route.

But I agree with you that Continental will add a bunch of seats and match JetBlue's fares. In response I expect that traffic on this route will at least double and CO will get much of the growth. But JetBlue has enough loyalists (in Boston if not in Jersey) to do OK for itself.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by sbm12
Why did I think they do fly BOS-LGA.....

I think CO/UA is going to step up their current BOS-EWR service. Bring AVOD equipped 757s.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Why did I think they do fly BOS-LGA.....

I think CO/UA is going to step up their current BOS-EWR service. Bring AVOD equipped 757s.
Yeah, good ideas!!! Lets try to beef up to upgrading the equipment from ERJ to 757-300 aircraft. Let's try to get real cheaper the reasonable fares. Try to get a special price is $59 each-way or less. It will have more tougher competitive against another carriers out of NYC-BOS.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Why would you put AVOD on a flight that is only 40 minutes in the air?? Not a great prioritization of IFE gear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.