Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

2 traveling & 1 regular seat left to select. All the others are EML.

Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

I just booked a vacation package with my girlfriend on Expedia & will be flying JFK-CUN. When I went to the B6 site to select seats for my flights I had no problem on the departure leg but I discovered on the return that there was only 1 regular seat at no extra cost left in row 25 plus all 36 of the EML seats were available at $50 a pop.

When I called the phone agent said she said B6 doesn't oversell their flights and we will most likely we will get the EML seats at no extra charge.

What does B6 really do when two people are booked on one itinerary and have this type of seat selection?
Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:54 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
When you get to the airport, if you don't already have a seat assignment, you will be assigned one. If there are no more regular seats left, you'll get an EML seat free of charge. However, you run the risk that someone buys up to an EML seat and you get their seat, and there's obviously no guarantee that you'll be sitting together.

You can either pick one and leave the other up to chance, or leave both up to chance (hoping that someone else selects the last remaining non-EML seat) - it's up to you.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Having never flown on B6 before I was skeptical of the phone agent's claim that they never overbook their flights. Is that true?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 8:14 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
Having never flown on B6 before I was skeptical of the phone agent's claim that they never overbook their flights. Is that true?
That's been claimed here on FT before anyway, and I don't recall ever seeing a thread to dispute it.

I would just stay with no seat assignments for now. I don't know if you can OCLI to CUN, but if so, I would see what they offer there. If it doesn't let you assign a seat at that point, I would get the airport earlier than usual to help assure two seats together. I've never had this situation on B6, but this is how I typically handle getting E+ on UA without status.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The company does not, as a matter of habit, overbook their flights. They had 5 bumps in Q4 09 out of 5MM+ enplanements.

The numbers do not lie.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If there are 2 EML seats available next to each other when I arrive at CUN to checkin and there is still one of the regular seats remaining in the regular seating area will they force 2 people traveling together on the same record to sit separately?

Conversely, if another non EML seat opens up are we then forced to sit apart?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 5:01 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by sbm12
The company does not, as a matter of habit, overbook their flights. They had 5 bumps in Q4 09 out of 5MM+ enplanements.

The numbers do not lie.
Wow. That is pretty impressive. I doubt any other airline can make that claim.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lougord99
Wow. That is pretty impressive. I doubt any other airline can make that claim.
Yup...It was an interesting change when they switched from not selling refundable tickets to doing so. Without the chance of a refund there wasn't much need to oversell. With the chance of a refund the carrier's exposure is a bit higher. Still, seems to be working out OK for them.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: TrueBlue
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
That is true. I won't say accidents never happen, but we don't ever intentionally oversell.

It's one of the reasons other airlines like going standby on us!

ETA: If you get to the airport without seats, they will first try upselling other people into the EML seats. If someone in 23B and someone in 17E decide they don't like their center seats enough, and they pay to move forward, they WILL put you and your girlfriend in those two seats... you elected not to pay for the upgrade, and you're still on the plane!

If you think you can move during flight, they will charge you on the airplane for moving to the EML seats as well.

If there are no other seats, they will put you in EML free of charge.

It is a gamble.

Last edited by LiaJB; Aug 27, 2010 at 3:22 pm Reason: Clarification.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.