Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All you can jet is back

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2010, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I've never flown JetBlue, but it sounds fun to fly around like a lunatic for 30 days.

What would be a general ballpark value for TrueBlue points, the way people say AA miles are worth about 1.5 - 2 cents each?

Thanks.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Aug 17, 2010 at 1:45 pm
Old Aug 17, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Originally Posted by sbm12
You might not be interested, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

UA has a targeted offer available TODAY that is similar to AYCJ. It is more expensive and limited to flights to/from a single city, but it also earns normal miles on all flights versus a flat rate for the pass. They even have a version that books in to F seats. It is very real, not a hypothetical.
Details on the targeted offer on UA?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA gold, UA Premier, HH Gold, *wood gold, PC gold
I just started a thread in the Community Buzz forum HERE to arrange meet-ups if anyone is interested.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, UA Silver, kettle everywhere else
I'm very interested in the UA offer also, but can't find it on their site...

However, heard from someone at B6 that with the new partnership, you can elect to receive AA miles instead of B6? Trying to confirm but that would be a huge incentive!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: CO/DL
Amazing deal, I didn't know they did this every year. Now if only I had the time...
Old Aug 17, 2010, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I've never flown JetBlue, but it sounds fun to fly around like a lunatic for 30 days.

What would be a general ballpark value for TrueBlue points, the way people say AA miles are worth about 1.5 - 2 cents each?

Thanks.
They are worth between .8 and 1.3 cents each. Don't do this for the points. It isn't worth it for that alone. But it is if you want the travel, too.

Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
Details on the targeted offer on UA?
Originally Posted by SceneStealer7
I'm very interested in the UA offer also, but can't find it on their site...
This isn't the UA forum.

(And I'm too lazy to go over there and find the thread).

Originally Posted by SceneStealer7
However, heard from someone at B6 that with the new partnership, you can elect to receive AA miles instead of B6? Trying to confirm but that would be a huge incentive!
No, that is not possible for this and it will not be possible in general except for a very specific subset of interline routes/flights.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 3:43 pm

Thanks for posting! I just came to do the same!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:57 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Anyone who had the pass last time know if you can build your own connections? I'm in MSY and they only offer fares for east coast cities. Or if you do build a non-standard connection and misconnect, would they then hit you for cancellation fees on the second segment?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan, United Mileage Plus, Chase Rewards
Travelergcp, yes, you can build your own connections. At least, I was able to do so last year multiple times. I am guessing that if you want to do it this year, just book one flight at a time under the pass, under different confirmation codes. I missed a non-standard connection last year (or, more precisely, I knew that if I got on the flight, I would miss the next connection) and they simply rebooked me for free.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:57 pm

I've got to extract myself from a few commitments before I purchase the pass. That will be done by 8am tomorrow EST. Anyone remember how quickly this promo sold out last year?

Acker
Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:02 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks MI007 for the info.

I'm in for the pass, plus comping one for my +1. It more than pays for itself just based on the travel I have planned already.

I'm not sure how they can make money on something like this. I just priced a 3 day advance purchase RT MSY-JFK and it was $517. Maybe the passes are purchased by mostly leisure travelers who would be at 7 or 14 day advance fares anyway.

Will it be online booking for the pass or do you have to call?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Travelergcp
Thanks MI007 for the info.

I'm in for the pass, plus comping one for my +1. It more than pays for itself just based on the travel I have planned already.

I'm not sure how they can make money on something like this. I just priced a 3 day advance purchase RT MSY-JFK and it was $517. Maybe the passes are purchased by mostly leisure travelers who would be at 7 or 14 day advance fares anyway.

Will it be online booking for the pass or do you have to call?
It is difficult to say if they make money or not from this promotion, but the main premise is to give seats that otherwise will go empty on their flights. It is done during September, a very low travel season. As long as each seat booked by an AYCJ passenger does not displacing a revenue passenger, they should be fine. It is also paid by money they will otherwise use for big marketing campaigns.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:23 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by acker
I've got to extract myself from a few commitments before I purchase the pass. That will be done by 8am tomorrow EST. Anyone remember how quickly this promo sold out last year?

Acker
IIRC it sold out 2 days early. We sent out a news flash warning of the accelerated purchase deadline (see the sticky thread).

Edited to add:

Yes, it was 2 days early.

Last edited by nsx; Aug 17, 2010 at 8:52 pm
Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:43 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
I'm arriving back in the US after 8 months away, homeless and unemployed, on sept 2....this could be perfect for me

International flights would be especially nice. I'm trying to understand how much the fees would be...I found this page explaining taxes and fees:
http://www.jetblue.com/about/legal/taxes.asp

For travel between the United States and international locations:

Passenger Facility Charges of up to $9.00 each way.
September 11 Security Fees of $2.50 per U.S. enplanement up to a maximum of $5.00 each way.
Federal Segment Tax of $3.70 per domestic segment. A segment is a takeoff and landing.
International arrival/departure tax of $16.10 for each arrival and departure in the U.S.
APHIS User Fee of up to $5.00.
Immigration User Fee of up to $7.00.
Customs User Fee of up to $5.50.
Non-U.S. government taxes of up to $94.00 each way.

VAT of up to 16% of the base fare depending on international destination. Non-US Value Added Taxes based on itinerary are as follows:

Country of Originating travel, VAT
Barbados 15% of base fare
Colombia 16% of Base Fare
Mexico 2.75% of Base Fare
Dominican Republic 16% of Base Fare
Costa Rica 5% of Base Fare
Saint Lucia 7.5% of Base Fare
1) How is the "base fare" of a flight on the pass calculated? Will it be 0, or is some kind of fare value assumed for VAT purposes?

2) Does anyone know where I could find a country by country list of arrival and departure taxes (the "up to $94" tax)? I tried booking a sample flight but the taxes and fees were not itemized...
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:08 am

Programs: United 1k (finally!), Hyatt Diamond
Wow. This is an amazing deal. If only I wasn't travelling constantly already in September, I'd use this to jet around the country!

Nice to see 6B push these promos hard :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.