Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue IFC deploys emergency slide

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue IFC deploys emergency slide

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
^^^^
Originally Posted by homeboy4
For legal reasons it probably can't happen, but it would be soooooo cool if three or four other airlines, publicly offered him a job.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:03 pm

Going outside, INAL. As I understand it, failure to comply with crew member instructions is a civil issue, not criminal.

Complicating this that airlines are reluctant to intervene and pursue a case. It costs money, and besides, the airplane made it to the gate, etc.

If it is a punch in the nose, then the individual crew member must file and pursue charges, and the airline will typically not get involved even though it is criminal - assault. The crew member figures that it is not worth the trouble and they don't want to spend their own time and pesos to travel back to the city where the plane landed.

So the system makes it difficult to bring justice to bear on these jerk passengers.

I recall being in a meeting at an un-named airline where there had been a spike in violent acts against flight attendants. Al, in charge of internal audit and special projects, announced that the CEO had decided that the airline would now pursue criminal charges and support the flight attendants and provide legal support.

So it would be good if more carriers would support their crew members instead of looking the other way.

My two cents....
Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Should the passenger be banned?

I wonder if B6 will ban the passenger involved in this incident. If she was creating a hazard to other people while disobeying the FA it might be worth it .
(Although I suspect they will not do anything ) . I agree that the FA needed to be arrested (I imagine his action caused other flights to be delayed)) but I agree that a plea bargain is likely (I do think the bail is to high) .
Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Smile On-going Poll ... 82+% of folks believe that the FA is a HERO ...

Of 1724 respondents ... at 3.40pm EST Aug 10, 2010 ...
1420 = 82.3% believe that the FA (SS) is a HERO ... and all charges should be dropped. ^
304 = 17.6% believe he should be fired.

http://www.startribune.com/polls/100...&pid=100342889
Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: I miss NW, TW
What the FA did was funny but he is the wrong party.

No FA should deploy an escape slide because of anger. If they are there for safety as they like to claim, then they should treat all safety equipment with care. With pilots, you wouldn't tolerate it if they were mad and decided to smash the wing tip on the terminal windows (last gate at the end).

The FA should never call a passenger a motherf... as reported in the news. The news reported that it started with motherf and was 12 letters long. A level headed FA whose primary mission is safety would calmly instruct the passenger to be seated, even quoting regulations, if necessary.

Nonetheless, grabbing two beers and sliding down the slide is funny!

As far as the poll, he should be fired AND be a folk hero!

What if a houseguest of yours got mad at you and poured cement down your toilet? Would he be a folk hero then?
Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by dd1612
1420 = 82.3% believe that the FA (SS) is a HERO ... and all charges should be dropped. ^

Further proof that public opinion should not be used to guide law making.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Cattle Class
his actions reminds me of some of the scenes in "me myself and irene", outrageous revenge but makes you lol.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Chris Elliott is reading more into the Airliners.net posts than is there. The "$1,000 fine if I get off the plane. Your carry on drama ain’t worth that to me." is in response to someone suggesting that FAs should gate check bags on the jetway. The OpSpecs for B6 do not consider the jetway an extension of the aircraft, so they cannot do that.
Same with BA, legal minimum crew number MUST be onboard the aircraft it's self, not on the jetty/bridge. Hence why we can't do things like run up the jetty to get news papers etc...

This Chris Elliot certainly seems to be the master of selective cut and paste!
Old Aug 10, 2010, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
The New York Daily News article has many details that are missing from the other accounts of this tale.

Here are a few:

Cops found him in bed with his boyfriend when they arrived to arrest him at a beachfront home in the Rockaways with a porch overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, sources said.

He boasted to skeptical cops that he really did escape by chute with his carry-on luggage.

"Oh, yes, I did! I threw them down first and I went down after," he told cops, sources said.

He was grinning as police walked him in handcuffs to a squad car. "He left with a big smile on his face," said neighbor Curt Karkowski.
We don't know if any of these are true yet, but if so they all make me like the guy even more. ^
Old Aug 10, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS

This guy was wrong but I swear I've got to agree with the 82.3%.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
I thought 2 beers and popping the chute was cool... but wait:YES!!!! What a great last day on the job!!!
Old Aug 10, 2010, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by TWA884
This from the New York Times:

Mr. Slater’s court-appointed lawyer, Howard Turman, said that Mr. Slater’s activation of the slide was not reckless. He said Mr. Slater followed the proper procedure for activating the slide, checking out the window first to make sure no one was on the tarmac who could be struck by it.

Mr. Turman, of the Legal Aid Society, offered an account of the flight, JetBlue 1052 from Pittsburgh, that he said justified Mr. Slater’s actions. He told reporters that on the ground in Pittsburgh, a female passenger had been verbally and physically abusive to Mr. Slater when he intervened as she squabbled with a male passenger over access to the overhead luggage compartment.

“The woman initially at Pittsburgh slammed the overhead into his head,” Mr. Turman said of Mr. Slater.

A passenger on the flight, Greg Kanczes, said that he saw a large, fresh-looking gash on Mr. Slater’s forehead at the beginning of the flight. “It was about an inch-and-half long, and it was a big red mark or cut,” Mr. Kanczes said by phone Tuesday. “There was no bandage.”
The "not reckless" claim is missing a vital component. The guy never identified an emergency that required activation of the slide. I would think that should come a few steps ahead of making sure that it didn't hurt anyone.

The guy has panache, but that doesn't make him any less of a jerk for his behavior. Walk off the plane and never come back. Even take the beer with you. But causing several thousand dollars in damages to company property is just plain stupid and wholly unjustified.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by schwarm
As I read the first paragraph in this post, I thought I was going to give a big "+1." My opinion, however, diverges 180 degrees from that point on.

I, too, am involved with a business in which there is a significant component of dealing with difficult "customers." The difference is, that, in my business, "customer safety" is a huge component. Employees have not only a responsibility for maintaining composure in the interest of business development but also in the interest of keeping things safe and maximizing outcomes.

My impression is that FAs, as a job category, value the safety aspect of their positions highly. That is, they are not simply flying waiters. In this light, this FA's actions are not defensible. He is, at least in part, responsible for peoples' lives.

Anyone who is applauding this guy's theatrical exit is demeaning the importance of FAs. Any FAs who are applauding what he did deserve to be considered flying waiters.
Well said! +1.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:06 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by kerflumexed
Going outside, INAL. As I understand it, failure to comply with crew member instructions is a civil issue, not criminal.
United States Code Title 49 § 46504:

An individual on an aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States who, by assaulting or intimidating a flight crew member or flight attendant of the aircraft, interferes with the performance of the duties of the member or attendant or lessens the ability of the member or attendant to perform those duties, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be fined under title 18, imprisoned for not more than 20 years, or both. However, if a dangerous weapon is used in assaulting or intimidating the member or attendant, the individual shall be imprisoned for any term of years or for life.
United States Attorney Criminal Resource Manual 1411:

One who assaults, threatens, or intimidates a flight crew member or attendant while aboard an aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States, and thereby interferes with the performance of that crew member's duties or lessens the ability of that crew member to perform his/her duties is punishable under this subsection. See United States v. Meeker, 527 F.2d 12 (9th Cir. 1975). A violation of 49 U.S.C. § 46504 is a general intent crime; it does not require any specific intent to intimidate or to interfere with the flight crew member or attendant.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold

Well, the bar for "hero" qualifications certainly has been lowered.

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
This guy was wrong but I swear I've got to agree with the 82.3%.
A hero? A pathetic flight attendant gets beat up by an old lady and he runs away? This is your definition of a hero? Back in the day he he would be called a coward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.