Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue IFC deploys emergency slide

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue IFC deploys emergency slide

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Overentitled travelers because of status are actually easier to deal with than unruly pax that rarely or never fly before. At least the former know the rules and the later have no idea or simply don't care.
Ha! There's no such thing as an "overentitled passenger". Really. People pay (or overpay) for the level of service they receive.

Perhaps there's "underentitled" passengers and "regular" passengers. But there's no true luxury service on any US domestic flight anymore.

Obviously what the FA did was wrong and he should have to pay for the slide, etc and perhaps face criminal charges.

But the pax who got up and hit him on the head with a suitcase before the seatbelt light went off and the plane was at the gate should be arrested and charged with assault. People like that ruin the flying experience for both passengers and crew.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, spg, Delta skymiles, marriott rewards
Further evidence that the customer is NOT always right. Where is the arrest warrant for the passenger? I don't condone the FA's actions, but the passenger started the mess apparently. Publicize the criminal who started this mess. Let's see his or her facebook page.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by lesso2

bwahahahaha
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:16 pm

Programs: Membership has its benefits, or so I am told.
I am still smiling about this...I am sorry he has been arrested, but I hope the FA union sticks up for him...He was only doing what hundreds probably wish they could do....
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:22 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
This has to be the funniest way to get fired from a job. So, just one question... Will the airline take the money for the beers out of his paycheck?

Originally Posted by tashi
I am surprised that the unruly pax was not arrested for instigating the incident.
Originally Posted by travelingtireman
Further evidence that the customer is NOT always right. Where is the arrest warrant for the passenger? I don't condone the FA's actions, but the passenger started the mess apparently. Publicize the criminal who started this mess. Let's see his or her facebook page.
Absolutely! He should have been hauled in as well. He could have been charged with failure to comply with crew member's instructions as well as battery (for the pulling the suit case out and hitting Mr Slater in the head).

Originally Posted by burgerwars
What could the police really charge him with? Trespass? I doubt it. He works for the airline and has access to the airport. Where's the trespass? Criminal mischief? Did he have criminal intent? I don't think so. He was just p*ssed off. I don't even think the airline can charge him for replacing/resetting the emergency slide. It was part of his job to operate it. Using wrong judgement for when it may be operated I feel wouldn't be enough for the airline to prevail in any court of law to get him to pay.

But I do feel he would have a very hard time in finding another airline to hire him, but anything is possible.
It can considered trespassing if he goes a route from the plane to the parking lot that is not permitted for employees to take. Just b/c he's a airline crew members does not mean he should have entire access to the entire airport. Not to mention destruction of property in addition to the charges he already got picked up on.

Although, my guess he'll just do probation and pay some fines.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I hope the Union and people stand up for him. I know I would. As a beer fan he has my vote for keeping his job.

Looks like I picked the wrong day to quick drinking
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL DM
bravo!
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:47 pm

Programs: Skymiles (Platinum)
Originally Posted by Tucker501
I'm upset because they revealed the name of the FA, but nobody is revealing the name of the passenger. Why? because everybody would like to call him a mother &*%$#.

Mr. Slater, you're my hero!
One of the news articles referred to the passenger as "her". Don't know if this is true. Any FTers on the flight?

Last edited by wanderenvy; Aug 10, 2010 at 3:22 am
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TWA A380
What if you had a small business and had an employee who doesn't know how to deal with employees? He then activates the emergency slide. These slides are not $100 or $1000. They are very costly to replace.
As it just so happens, I run a small business where a significant component of the process is dealing with less-than-ideal customers. Although I don't have any emergency exit slides, I have over the past couple of years had a couple people reach a level of frustration with the customer that ultimately results in a poor decision that costs me a a not insignificant chunk of change.

More of then than not, I give the person some admonishment, some training, and then laugh about it with others, with some envy that, being the owner of the business, I don't have the luxury of occasionally being able to give the customers what they deserve.

It took Jet Blue 20 minutes to call the cops. There were probably a group of people sitting together trying to weigh their responsibility to report it against their recognition that some of their passengers really are dicks along with envy that they didn't have the balls to do it.

I honestly don't think this will play poorly for Jet Blue at all. Most potential customers are either frequent passengers who have dealt with other poor passengers, or are themselves people who have to deal with customers in their own job and will sympathize with the FA. And frankly, Jet Blue couldn't buy this kinda publicity for the price of an emergency chute.

I would never counsel anyone to display similar behavior, but I none-the-less applaud the performance. Hopefully the FA gets a fine and a suspension but ultimately their job back. I can only imagine the number of other "real Americans" who work day in and day out fantasizing about doing something similar but just are not able to pull the trigger.

Here's to you, JetBlue Commuter Jet Emergency Slide Evacuator, you're a Real Man of Genius (esp. if he grabbed two budweiser.)

Last edited by raehl311; Aug 10, 2010 at 1:06 am
Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by raehl311
Here's to you, JetBlue Commuter Jet Emergency Slide Evacuator, you're a Real Man of Genius (esp. if he grabbed two budweiser.)
That is a work of genius.

I'll applaud the man, he did what every individual who deals with annoying people all day desire but don't have the cajones to do. Not a great career move, but style galore.

Wish there were emergency slide on some of the tuk tuks I deal with daily.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:47 am

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ge=28#comments

However, I think he should have just announced over the PA system, “Ladies and gentlemen in the unlikely event we should need to evacuate the aircraft, feel free to stampede over this gentleman on your way to the nearest usable exit.”
I doubt that would be sufficient...
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
Now that's what I call In Flight Entertainment.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by armattheus
I hope the Union and people stand up for him. I know I would. As a beer fan he has my vote for keeping his job.
JetBlue's not union. In any event, this guy caused a plane to be taken out of service and a dent to JB's reputation. He deserves to be fired IMO.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:47 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
The NY Times reports that Slater was "charged with felony counts of criminal mischief and reckless endangerment." Whether NY can get a conviction on those charges, we'll have to wait and see. Or perhaps Slater will plead to a lesser offense.

Seems to me there was a Valujet/Airtran pilot who was stuck in a 20+ taxiway queue at ATL on a hot summer day, had "an epiphany" about his career, took the aircraft back to the gate, and then walked off. Anyone remember the details?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.