Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Spirit on Strike and the effect on Jetblue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spirit on Strike and the effect on Jetblue

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by sbm12
Well, CO and WN fly different aircraft so those pilots wouldn't necessarily be qualified. B6 and DL have Airbii that the pilots could head over to but they start at the bottom of the seniority list so they're taking a pay cut - often significant - to make the leap. The system is one that was structured by both management and the pilots. They cannot reasonably blame the other for the structure of the employment contracts. They can fight over the numbers and benefits but the structure is what they agreed upon and jumping between carriers is a very hard move to make.
I threw out all those carries just for the sake of throwing out carriers (Pilots can always retrain or be already trained couple different).

Just out of curiousity, how bad can it be making the jump if they are so underpaid that they are demanding a 30% raise?

Last edited by Seat13c; Jun 13, 2010 at 2:02 pm
Old Jun 13, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Switching to B6

Originally Posted by Seat13c
I threw out all those carries just for the sake of throwing out carriers (Pilots can always retrain or be already trained couple different).

Just out of curiousity, how bad can it be making the jump if they are so underpaid that they are demanding a 30% raise?
If the pilots switched to B6 they would start at the bottom of the pay scale. I also don't think there are many pilot jobs available.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
It is not the structure of the original contract that is to blame, it is the fact that many work groups at many US airlines have to spend 3+ years after the contract has expired to work out a new one.
I disagree, at least with respect to the point I was making about why the pilots don't just switch to another carrier.

In my industry I can move to a new company with 10 years experience and my pay will reflect that, even though those 10 years came from another employer. In the airline industry I'd have 0 years on the pay and seniority scale. Such a scheme makes it financially burdensome to make the switch. The airlines like this because it helps them to protect the investments they are making in their crews in terms of training, etc. The pilots like it because they know that once they are in and past the first couple years they're going to have limited competition for seniority in terms of choosing the shifts/routes they work.

If management told the union that there was $1Bn for salaries and that the union got to split it up however they want I would guess that the end result would be similar, with the more senior guys getting paid more per hour of flight than the newer guys. Sure, the union would rather have $1.3Bn to split up but I'm not so sure that the means of how it is split would change much.

If the seniority on the pay scale was based on total experience rather than specific airline experience the salary scale would likely slide down a bit but pilots would be more mobile. Hard to say if that's a good or bad thing. I suppose it depends on your point of view.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Seat13c
Old Jun 13, 2010, 5:32 pm

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
B6 salaries

What is really interesting is that the B6 pilots make more than the CO & UA pilots (who fly 737's or a320's) . AA MD80/737 pilots do make more then the B6 pilots (as well as the UA/CO pilots) .
Old Jun 13, 2010, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Spirit is just the tip of the iceberg. Many of the legacy carriers will be in the same position. Employees lost their pensions and up to half of their salaries during the bankruptcies, oil price rise, aftermath of 9/11. The endless downward spiral of wages can not continue forever. The current airline structure in the US has failed miserably as a profit generating business. It remains to be seen which airlines can pay a livable wage, offer the services and frequencies that passengers want, and still make a profit. It may mean we have less airlines and higher fares in the future which is not necessarily a bad thing.
It doesn't seem like we need fewer airlines "in the future." The future is now, baby! Have you seen the fares this summer? The airlines are MINTING money right now. I am certain that, if this continues (and unless we get another calamity out of the blue, it's likely to continue), employee wages will start rising in the industry because the airlines will no longer be broke.

Of course, this is still a cyclical business, so I'm sure bad times are somewhere ahead of us (although it's hard to see "where" at the moment).

The big difference, of course, is that the gov't is very unlikely to let a major (or a big major) airline strike. You ain't gonna see DL shut down. Jetblue is probably the biggest airline the gov't would let go on strike. Call it "too big to strike."
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:27 am
Suspended

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /images/stories/airlines/pay_spirit2007.gif on this server.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /images/stories/airlines/pay_spirit2007.gif on this server.
I guess they didn't like me embedding the image but not linking to their site.

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/a...cc/spirit.html
http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/a...c/jetblue.html
Old Jun 14, 2010, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Looking at the hourly rate tables, I do not see much difference between Spirit and B6. Sure, pilots at B6 earn about 10% more than pilots at Spirit but not 30%.
The big difference is the steepness of the curve: at B6, entry salaries are higher but level off faster, whereas at Spirit entry salaries are low but climb faster.

Example: 1st year Spirit = $71, 11th year Spirit = $141. 1 st year B6 = $138, 11th year B6 = $157.

These tables also show me that I should never become a pilot
And I feel sorry for the FOs, who seem to be severely underpaid.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jun 14, 2010 at 4:41 pm
Old Jun 14, 2010, 5:35 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Except that there are mechanisms in place which prevent pilots at Spirit from moving up the ladder at a "normal" pace.

At any rate, as this is a discussion about the effect on jetBlue, it is obvious from the sold out status of most flights on routes where Spirit and jetBlue compete, jetBlue is definitely benefiting this week.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:13 pm

The Spirit pilots are 100% resolved to see a fair contract. They are the lowest paid in their industry segment and fly into some of the most dangerous airports.

It's not so easy to just go work somewhere else. The average Spirit Captain has 20 years of experience and between 15,000-20,000 hours. The average FO has 10 years of experience and between 8,000-12,000 hours. To get up and go somewhere else (if they were hiring) would mean starting all over at the lowest pay and lowest seniority. They won't do that. They all have plan B established. If the company locks them out and replaces them (which would take a very long time) they are prepared to move on. Good talent never has a problem landing a good job. Spirit is just forgetting to value its good talent.

Also impacted are the rest of the employees--all of whom are standing behind this strike.

Stock prices for JetBlue were speculating about this today. Investors were chomping at the bit hoping for people's livlihoods to be destroyed--nice.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HRDiva
To get up and go somewhere else (if they were hiring) would mean starting all over at the lowest pay and lowest seniority. They won't do that.
But whose fault is that?

Oh yeah, the ALPA.

Someone should tell the pilots that the only reason they don't have the option to take their experience to another airline is because their union puts them in a position where their only option to get better pay is to have a union work stoppage. I mean, what if the most experienced pilots at Spirit could get better wages by simply - get this - going to another airline and getting more pay?

Here's an idea: All the pilots at all the airlines can their unions, and then can compete on their merits to work for the airline with the best pay.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Trueblue, Skymiles, AAdvantage
The Spirit pilots are 100% resolved to see a fair contract. They are the lowest paid in their industry segment and fly into some of the most dangerous airports.

What do you mean by dangerous? Hard to land? Or is there high crime in the area? I would think if it was that bad, Spirit would pull out?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 6:46 am

You have two statements right next to each other that make no sense:
To get up and go somewhere else (if they were hiring) would mean starting all over at the lowest pay and lowest seniority. They won't do that.
and
...they are prepared to move on. Good talent never has a problem landing a good job.
So which is it?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:16 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Example: 1st year Spirit = $71, 11th year Spirit = $141. 1 st year B6 = $138, 11th year B6 = $157.
To go from 11 years in with Spirit to 1st year at B6 is only a $3 per hour drop. When you're making $140+/- hour, that's hardly a big drop in pay. However, it would be a lot better to go from say 4 years with Spirit to first year with B6

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.