Wiki Posts
Search

Help me flip a coin on seating

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Help me flip a coin on seating

Flying Jetblue tomorrow and always book EML seats. At the time of booking, there were no aisles available (only middles). The exit row had window seats open and the middles are empty at the current time, so that is what I booked.

Went to check in and an EML aisle in row 4 has become available; both other seats in that row are full. So - my current exit window may be the better option since the middle seat is empty. BUT - the flight appears to be sold out (showing all zeros on expertflyer) even though there are about 10 seats unassigned.

Since the flight is showing sold out, are the remaining seats likely to be filled? I am flipping a coin between grabbing the EML aisle or staying in my exit window and hoping that the middle seat remains empty.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
From and to where are you flying?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Never assume seats will be empty unless a GA tells you such. Flights are way too full these days.

If you prefer aisle take it now while you still can.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Never assume seats will be empty unless a GA tells you such. Flights are way too full these days. If you prefer aisle take it now while you still can.
Excellent advice - done.
Thanks for helping with the coin toss
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:34 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott TE, and Reformed AMEX Cent
On my flight this Sunday - SLC-JFK - when I checked in there were 15 EML seats unassigned and all were full by the time we left (lots of employees traveling).
Plus seats 4C and 4D are my preferred seats - front of the plane but not too close to the bathroom - and not too close to row 1 which often has children.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:47 am

SLC-JFK, MCO-BOS, MCO-JFK, FLL-BOS, FLL-JFK, and FLL-IAD are the main flights that you will see fill up rather quickly because of the amount of crewmembers traveling. FLL-IAD will fill up with more United crews than Jetblue crews but I threw that one on the list as well.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 1:25 pm
Suspended

What happens when a flight is sold-out but crew needs to travel? People will be booted-off the plane to make space for crew?
Old Jun 11, 2010, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
What happens when a flight is sold-out but crew needs to travel? People will be booted-off the plane to make space for crew?
It can depend on the situation and the crew so every situation is not the same. If the crew is a must-ride then the flight will go into an overbooked situation and we will follow the procedures in place for asking for volunteers and then possibly looking at involuntary removing people. I have yet to see it go that far. We don't normally over book but it does happen. If the flight is short (say JFK-BUF) then the crew might just take the jumpseats so we don't leave anybody behind. However that is up to the crew. If we are placed on a must-ride status then we have first crack at a seat and remove a customer. This may play out on a longer flight (say JFK-SFO).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.