Wiki Posts
Search

Baby's First Flight

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2010, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage; Hilton Honors
Baby's First Flight

My son is 15 months old and will be flying for the first time. Will JetBlue allow me to take the stroller and car seat and put it on the plane? And if so, how much extra is that?

-Dev
Old May 8, 2010, 6:59 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
It depends. Did you buy and extra seat for the car seat? If that is the case then yes you can. Even on some empty flights the gate agent may let you use an extra seat if one is available even if you didn't pay for it. However this isn't standard policy and shouldn't be relied on.

If you didn't buy a seat for the car seat then the agent can gate check your car seat and stroller. That means it will be stored under the plane for the flight then you can claim it on the jetbridge at the destination. The stroller really won't be allowed on under any condition and will be gate checked.

Both of these are free of charge and don't count towards your carry-on allowance.
Old May 8, 2010, 9:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
To add on to JetBlueFA... if you haven't bought a seat for your son, I'd strongly, strongly recommend that you do so. Having your baby sit on your lap the entire flight is unsafe and uncomfortable. It's much safer to put him in a FAA-approved car seat for the flight.
Old May 9, 2010, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amejr999
Having your baby sit on your lap the entire flight is unsafe and uncomfortable.
Unsafe according to whom?

What's happening to the hundreds of babies currently flying in our skies, on someone's lap?
Old May 9, 2010, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by nerd
Unsafe according to whom?
the American Academy of Pediatrics

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/images/AAPArticle.pdf
Old May 9, 2010, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the American Academy of Pediatrics

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/images/AAPArticle.pdf
They recommend using a safety seat (obviously they would want to go on record as saying this), but never claim it's unsafe not to.
Old May 9, 2010, 8:50 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
They recommend using a safety seat (obviously they would want to go on record as saying this), but never claim it's unsafe not to.
So they're recommending it for they're own health?
Old May 9, 2010, 9:12 pm

Seriously?

A child who travels on the lap of another occupant or unrestrained in a motor vehicle has a substantially greater risk of injury and death, compared with a restrained child.
Old May 9, 2010, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
So they're recommending it for they're own health?
You think a group of pediatricians is, under any circumstances, going to not recommend using a safety seat?
Old May 9, 2010, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seriously?
I thought we were talking about planes, not cars (i.e. "Baby's First Flight").
Old May 9, 2010, 10:23 pm

I thought we were talking about planes, not cars (i.e. "Baby's First Flight").
Oops... copied the wrong line.

Hazards associated with the on-lap position are also well documented in aircraft crash investigations.
Old May 10, 2010, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage; Hilton Honors
We didn't buy an extra seat. So I guess we'll check it all in. Thanks for the info. -Dev
Old May 10, 2010, 1:54 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by getdev
We didn't buy an extra seat. So I guess we'll check it all in. Thanks for the info. -Dev
You can take it to the gate and gate check it if you want instead of checking it at the ticket counter and having it go to baggage claim. Either way it's up to you and your family.
Old May 11, 2010, 10:46 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, United, AA, Delta, Continental
I would add that it is safer to have them in a car seat, but I've done it both ways and if you are careful, it's not dangerous to have them in your lap. But on the other hand, it is much, much easier to have them in their own seat and since they are used to being strapped in a car seat, they are much better behaved than loose on a lap and getting into everything. We flew with our son this Christmas at around 15 months in our laps and it was murder because he wanted to crawl everywhere all the time. Today we just flew down to FLL with the $10 specials and it was so much easier with him in his car seat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.