LAX-BOS red eye gone after 6/29?

Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former business traveler now working from home
LAX-BOS red eye gone after 6/29?

Earlier today, I arranged to fly a bunch of family in on the JetBlue LAX-BOS red eye, B6 flight 480, on June 30th. The flight was bookable on Orbitz for about $200, leaving LAX at 11:58pm and arriving BOS at 8:16am. ITA had the booking code as RH14, FWIW.

Tonight, I sat down to book the flight to find that it seems to have disappeared for all dates after June 29th... Murphy's Law at its finest.

The friendly JetBlue phone representative was as in the dark as I am.

Anyone know what happened? Any chance of the flight reappearing?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:39 am

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage
It appears as though this change was made for the installation of a new time slot to be operated as flight 474. This may have something to do, I am assuming, with the additional service on the route JFK-LAX which commences July 1, 2010. They probably had to rearrange the times in order the add the two additional flights on the JFK-LAX route.

Hope that helps, I don't know with any certainty that this in fact is the case, but it is my best guess considering jetBlue is increasing service from LAX to JFK.

It looks like the only "shut-eye" flight jetBlue shows, is a connecting flight from LAX-BOS via JFK (674-1022).
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former business traveler now working from home
Thanks for the info! Glad to know it's a real change and not a temporary error.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
I also noticed that they got rid of the red eye LAS-BOS. Instead of departing boston 8pm-ish and returning they moved it up 12hrs or so. The non stops now leave in the morning and return in the afternoon.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBLU421NYC
It looks like the only "shut-eye" flight jetBlue shows...
Oh, is "shut-eye" what we say now instead of "red-eye"?

I'll do a quick survey the next time I jet, see if anyone knows what the hell I'm talking about...

Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:16 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Are the LAX and LAS planes being re-allocated to other shut-eye routes or are they doing an RON in BOS?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 6:08 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by Seat13c
Are the LAX and LAS planes being re-allocated to other shut-eye routes or are they doing an RON in BOS?
The LAS route was simply moved up in the day, there hasn't been a reduction in that route.

RON?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ellinj
RON?
Remain OverNight - short for where the plane spends the night.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
A lot of our west coast cities seem to be getting their redeye flights shifted to day time flying. I was even shocked to see BOS-DEN twice daily with an afternoon turn on the schedule. Must be in response to WN but it was still nice to see.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by ellinj
The LAS route was simply moved up in the day, there hasn't been a reduction in that route.

RON?
B/c it is moved up in the day, it means something during the day had to be cut. JetBlue used to be known for keeping their planes more in the air than on the ground. Just b/c a plane did a red eye, doesn't mean it was sitting idle during the day.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by nerd
Oh, is "shut-eye" what we say now instead of "red-eye"?

I'll do a quick survey the next time I jet, see if anyone knows what the hell I'm talking about...

If you look at the "Why you'll like us" link in the "about us" section of the website they describe the "shut-eye" service, they even have a cute slogan: "Buh-bye red-eye, Hello Shut-eye."

Let us know the result of your survey that should be interesting lol
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Seat13c
JetBlue used to be known for keeping their planes more in the air than on the ground.
They did; utilization is down a bit these days on average. Don't forget the couple LGB transcon frequencies that were cut also.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
They did; utilization is down a bit these days on average. Don't forget the couple LGB transcon frequencies that were cut also.
On the upside, it helps with recovering from a delay which could cause ripple problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.