Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-CUN price trends

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2010, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

SFO-CUN price trends

Hi,

I hope this is the correct forum for this question —.if not, please advise, and I'll move it on.

We're (5 of us) flying SFO-CUN June 19-28. JetBlue is still hovering around $700 p/p. While I'd love to go JetBlue, it's about $200 more per person.

Any idea if those fares are going to stay there, or drop as we get closer? I need to pull the trigger soon.

Oh, and it sure would be nice to fly JetBlue SFO-CUN without having to go through JFK!! It was nice to fly, but sure made for a lonngggg flight!!

Tom
Old May 14, 2010, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by musictom
Oh, and it sure would be nice to fly JetBlue SFO-CUN without having to go through JFK!! It was nice to fly, but sure made for a lonngggg flight!!

Tom
Can't you connect through FLL?

Welcome to FlyerTalk, musictom!
Old May 14, 2010, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd
Can't you connect through FLL?

Welcome to FlyerTalk, musictom!
Yes, you can now. It used to be, however, that you had to connect through JFK. We did that flight about 3 times. It was great flying JB, but made for long long travels!!

Tom
Old May 14, 2010, 1:04 pm

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
SFO-CUN

Thats a long flight going thru JFK. I suggest you go thru FLL instead (maybe a little shorted) . I see a 257 one way on the 19th (for 4 people) (gets there on the 20th) and 350 on the way back. You may find it a little cheaper in a week or 2 but you are going cross country so it may make more sense to take the 500$ fares you already have found . Do not forget to take into consideration the luggage fees some airlines charge . Good luck with your search and welcome to Flyertalk
Old May 14, 2010, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmg42000
Do not forget to take into consideration the luggage fees some airlines charge . Good luck with your search and welcome to Flyertalk
Luggage to CUN? How many Speedos can you use up in 1 week?

Old May 14, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by nerd
Luggage to CUN? How many Speedos can you use up in 1 week?

Again, just because you don't check luggage, does not mean the average leisure traveler doesn't as well. One week in CUN, for many, requires toilitries - too many liquids to carry on, especially for women, pool attire, tourist attire, dinner/night life attire, etc. Not everyone does laundry on vacation. Just stand at the baggage claim in any major airport such as CUN...and you'll see what I mean. Dozens of bags coming off each flight...so someone must be checking bags.
Old May 14, 2010, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

We've done the trip several times with only carry-on, and that's me, my wife, and two girls, 24 & 22. They've all learned to travel light!!

However, the last couple of times, we've brought our own snorkeling gear, which gets pretty tough to do carry-on!

And since we were checking at least one bag, the last time we devoted one suitcase entirely to books (I live amongst a bunch of avid readers)!

I've found a $505 R/T on UsAir (ugh, oh well) and I think I'm going to pull the trigger.

tom

edit: price gone —.which isn't surprising. Guess I'll keep rollin' the dice a bit longer.

Last edited by musictom; May 14, 2010 at 7:21 pm
Old May 14, 2010, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
Again, just because you don't check luggage, does not mean the average leisure traveler doesn't as well.
Is this the same average leisure traveler that packs 200% of what she needs for a week at the beach?
Old May 15, 2010, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd wait until Tuesday or Wednesday of next week before pulling the trigger. Airfares are often higher on the weekends and tend to be cheaper mid-week.

If you do end up buying on JetBlue you can always get a credit if the fare drops but there probably isn't much of a reason to bet on that happening. I'd quite likely take less spend now over potential credit later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.