Jet blue to new haven

Old Mar 1, 2010, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 2 million lifetime Marriott Titanium LiCo Plat Hertz Plat spg plat former Co Chairmans Circle
Jet blue to new haven

twice a day service from HVN-FLL and MCO would be extremely profitable for JETBLUE. The airline should take a look at this underserved market, especially since the runway has been improved. So many New Haveners go to HPN and love JETBLUE but hate the parking fee of $25 a day.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
I agree that New Haven would be a great choice for JetBlue to begin service. I lived in southern Connecticut in the 1990s-- it is one of the most inconvenient places to live for airline service. LGA, JFK and EWR are 2 hours plus from New Haven with traffic; HPN has parking hassles and you're still subject to traffic getting there; and no JetBlue at BDL (although at least there's decent Florida service on WN and DL from BDL). And just like HPN, BOS, and the NYC area there's lots of demand for Florida service.

Who owns the HVN airport? Is the runway long enough for mainline aircraft there? Perhaps a subsidy from the airport would help HVN attract new service, if not from JetBlue maybe Allegiant or AirTran.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If there's money to be made flying out of New Haven, why has everyone except US dropped service there?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
There's a fair amount of discussion going on over at the UA forum, where the OP posed the same question:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nnecticut.html
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
Weight of pax, bags, enough fuel to make MCO, FLL, etc. and a ~5000' runway.....not happening.....even with the 190's.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bosnyc
Weight of pax, bags, enough fuel to make MCO, FLL, etc. and a ~5000' runway.....not happening.....even with the 190's.
I think they could do it... SNA's runway is only about 100 feet shorter than HVN, and CO flies across the country from there.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't think that the runway is the problem. I think the issue is that there simply isn't a market there. HVN is in the middle of a pretty dense area of other airports. Within a two hour drive there is an enormous amount of capacity:

New Haven as a city itself isn't that big and the overall cachement area that HVN covers has too many other options available to make growth at the airport compelling.

Pretty much the same discussion as 3.5 years ago.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by hvnflyer
twice a day service from HVN-FLL and MCO would be extremely profitable for JETBLUE. The airline should take a look at this underserved market, especially since the runway has been improved. So many New Haveners go to HPN and love JETBLUE but hate the parking fee of $25 a day.
Why B6 cannot have to support go to BDL instead of HVN? I didn't notice for this one before. I thought B6 want to be in BDL instead of going to HVN. B6 should have more convenient in BDL during winter seasonally. Why B6 can't have one for BDL or MHT?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
I don't think that the runway is the problem. I think the issue is that there simply isn't a market there. HVN is in the middle of a pretty dense area of other airports.
But most everything along the I-95 corridor is in the middle of a dense area of airports. HVN kind of falls in a no-man's land, as does the Princeton/Trenton area.

I'm not arguing that HVN should have more service. But, it is a bit of a hole-with-almost-no-service within a densely-populated area.

Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:30 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by N830MH
Why B6 cannot have to support go to BDL instead of HVN? I didn't notice for this one before. I thought B6 want to be in BDL instead of going to HVN. B6 should have more convenient in BDL during winter seasonally. Why B6 can't have one for BDL or MHT?
BLD already has more than adequate service from DL and WN. Should B6 start service there, they would be up against already established service which means that the competition (which already competes against each other already) will give B6 a hard time. Probably won't be profitable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.