Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Delays at JFK starting March 1 due to runway closure

Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP & A list, FL Elite, B6, Hilton Honors VIP, Marriott Gold

Im sure a lot of regular JFK flyers were already aware, but just an FYI for other fellow Jetblue flyers through JFK. They are closing the main runway for 4 months starting March 1. This is causing Jetblue to adjust schedule.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_runway..._ripple_effect
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hyatt DIA
Ouch. As if delays at JFK when the international flights are on their way out aren't dicey enough as is.

Thankfully I'm not on the east coast all that much.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:45 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Avoid JFK the next 4 months..Newark is looking better all the time..@:-)
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
Avoid JFK the next 4 months..Newark is looking better all the time..@:-)
Good. I'm glad to see how is in progress and now, it is improvement the traffic flow out of EWR. It will have to be reductions the congestions in EWR. It won't cause anymore problems for this time. EWR has lots of the aircraft are awaited for takeoff. I believe it will be done very well in EWR. Let's speculate about this one. I'm pretty confident about the slots restrictions won't be accepted to additional more flights out of EWR for awhile.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:16 am

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Yup, starting today 13R/31L is closed for the next few months in order to widen it and add some additional taxiways. We have reduced our flying into and out of JFK and added more flights out of BOS to compensate for it. I know American is not reducing their JFK flights and I don't know about Delta. Morning thu mid-afternoon shouldn't be too bad of a problem to get into and out of JFK with relative ease. The late-afternoon and evening flights are going to be a pain though.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JetBlueFA
Yup, starting today 13R/31L is closed for the next few months in order to widen it and add some additional taxiways. We have reduced our flying into and out of JFK and added more flights out of BOS to compensate for it. I know American is not reducing their JFK flights and I don't know about Delta. Morning thu mid-afternoon shouldn't be too bad of a problem to get into and out of JFK with relative ease. The late-afternoon and evening flights are going to be a pain though.
Delta's supposedly cutting also. Looks like the delays have started already... JFK's on a GDP.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Actually AA is reducing their summer schedule at JFK during the construction. The carriers were all forced to do so by the FAA.

Normally carriers would be ramping up service at the end of March for their summer schedules. They will not be permitted to do so this year until the construction is complete. Carriers are pretty much forced to operate on their winter schedules throughout the period and those schedules are lighter than the summer ones.

I do have a flight out of JFK on B6 late Friday night and I'm looking forward to some quality time in T5 waiting out the delay.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
Actually AA is reducing their summer schedule at JFK during the construction. The carriers were all forced to do so by the FAA.
Pretty sure it was voluntary. Or, at a minimum, "voluntary".
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by sbm12

Normally carriers would be ramping up service at the end of March for their summer schedules. They will not be permitted to do so this year until the construction is complete. Carriers are pretty much forced to operate on their winter schedules throughout the period and those schedules are lighter than the summer ones.

I do have a flight out of JFK on B6 late Friday night and I'm looking forward to some quality time in T5 waiting out the delay.
Oh! I wasn't aware that American was reducing their schedule too. Thanks for the info! I heard somewhere they they weren't reducing but they weren't adding either but it's nice to see everybody is doing their part to help reduce delays during the reconstruction. Most of my flights through JFK, this month at least, are during the morning periods so I'm not too concerned. I'm going to enjoy my Nassau layovers
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Closure of 13R/31L + summer season = higher fares from JFK?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 4:48 pm

Location: BOS. Postings are my personal observations and opinions only and do not reflect the official position of JetBlue Airways.
Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Hertz PC, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Closure of 13R/31L + summer season = higher fares from JFK?
Possibly. If only because there will be fewer frequencies on the big 3 and less capacity across the board.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:38 pm

A partial quote from our CEO about the closure..

This brings us back to the rehabilitation of JFKs Bay Runway 13R-31L. Its one of the original runways at the airport when it opened for commercial flights in 1948. It now handles more than 140,000 of the approximately 440,000 annual arrivals/departures, including more than 50% of the airports total departures. The runway, at 14,572 feet in length, is one of the longest commercial runways in the world and the PANYNJs $376.3 million investment is part of the JFK Delay Reduction Program.

The runway will be widened from 150 to 200 feet and the existing asphalt will be milled down six inches and overlaid with 18 inches of concrete, which should last for more than 20 years without significant repairs. In fact, the FAA and PANYNJ expect to save more than 10,000 delay hours as a result of the runway project, combined with taxiway improvements and procedural changes in the airspace and at the airport. As the largest operator at JFK, fewer delays mean greater operational predictability and a lower cost per available seat mile (CASM) for us.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 1:36 pm

Just flew through JFK yesterday 06MAR. First was FLT 60 to BTV with a 0905 departure. We where off the ground with in 10 minutes of pushing. The second was FLT 1010 to BOS (delayed) which departed at 1650. That flight it took us about 20-30 minutes to get off the ground. Both legs we departed off 04L with arrivals on 04R and an occasional departure on 31R.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.