Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SJU-JFK Customs & Immigration?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

SJU-JFK Customs & Immigration?

Hi everybody! I'm a new member and I'm Italian (sorry for my bad english).
I'll have to fly from San Juan to JFK with Jetblue (after a cruise with carnival).
In San Juan I'll clear custom & immigration when I'll disembark out of the ship and at the airport (USDA).
Do I have to clear customs and immigration also in JFK (as for international flights)?
I'll have a connection to Italy in JFK (within 2h30m), so I hope to save time skiping Custom & immigration in JFK.
Thank you in advance for your kind help.
Andrea
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:06 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by andrea78ts
I'll have to fly from San Juan to JFK with Jetblue (after a cruise with carnival).
In San Juan I'll clear custom & immigration when I'll disembark out of the ship and at the airport (USDA).
Do I have to clear customs and immigration also in JFK (as for international flights)?
I'll have a connection to Italy in JFK (within 2h30m), so I hope to save time skiping Custom & immigration in JFK.
Andrea
There are no customs needed for the JFK-SJU and SJU-JFK legs. You will have to deal with customs at JFK since its your US entry point. Going back, I believe you only need to have your passport in hand to prove you can travel internationally. The US cares more about who's coming rather than who is leaving which means you'll deal with Italy on the return trip.

BTW, welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Last time I checked, Puerto Rico was U.S. territory. We don't have customs checkpoints when you travel within the United States (though sometimes you'll see INS roadblocks near our southern border).

Unlike some other countries, there is no outbound checkpoint at JFK (or any other US airport) - we don't care who leaves!
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EP and former UA 1K
Caio, Once you clear customs in San Juan you will not need to clear customs again traveling from SJU to JFK. You'll probably need a little extra time to arrive at the gate, collect your bags and transfer to your outbound flight but you should be fine even with some delays. Have a good trip back to Italia.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Airline Peon (United, Delta, Southwest)
As others have said, the SJU-JFK leg is treated as a domestic (US) flight. There is no customs on the SJU-JFK route.

There is a United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) inspection at the SJU airport however. The inspection consists of having you taking your bags to the USDA inspection x-ray machine at the airport and having the USDA inspector run your bags through the x-ray. After your bags have been x-rayed a special sticker is placed on your bags and you can take the bags (and check them) at the JetBlue check-in counter.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your precious and prompt replies!
Just a last doubt...does the USDA expection regard also carry-on luggage?
Thanks
Andrea
Old Nov 2, 2009, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!!

My carry-on bags received no extra inspection when departing SJU for JFK a couple weeks ago. There were officials on the jetway asking folks their nationality and I suppose that they could do more checking if desired but in my case I slinked past into my seat and a nice nap.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Airline Peon (United, Delta, Southwest)
Thanks
Andrea
I'm not sure what the actual rule is, but my own experience is that sometimes the person operating the USDA station wants the carry on bags to go through the USDA x-ray while other times the operator didn't want them to go through. Perhaps it depends on the size of the bag? In any case the TSA (security screening) does not seem to care if the USDA sticker is on the carry on bag or not. So if you do not have your carry ons xrayed, I doubt anyone would notice.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:38 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by RDimperio
Caio, Once you clear customs in San Juan you will not need to clear customs again traveling from SJU to JFK. You'll probably need a little extra time to arrive at the gate, collect your bags and transfer to your outbound flight but you should be fine even with some delays. Have a good trip back to Italia.
If andrea78ts is on a single ticket, wouldn't baggage be checked through from SJU to Italy?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:53 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by djk7
If andrea78ts is on a single ticket, wouldn't baggage be checked through from SJU to Italy?
Yes but JetBlue does not fly to Europe. Only way to book and have the bags all the way through is to be flying Lufthansa or AirLingus from JFK to Italy. Otherwise everything will need to rechecked at JFK.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Seat13c
Yes but JetBlue does not fly to Europe. Only way to book and have the bags all the way through is to be flying Lufthansa or AirLingus from JFK to Italy. Otherwise everything will need to rechecked at JFK.
I knew the OP would have to change airlines, but I wasn't sure if single ticketing, or baggage interlining was available. If the OP is on two separate tickets, then any delays on on the SJU-JFK could cause a mis-connect and put them at the mercy of the JFK-Italy airline.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by djk7
I knew the OP would have to change airlines, but I wasn't sure if single ticketing, or baggage interlining was available. If the OP is on two separate tickets, then any delays on on the SJU-JFK could cause a mis-connect and put them at the mercy of the JFK-Italy airline.
jetBlue currently has only a couple interline baggage agreements, namely with EI and LH. Anything else will require reclaiming their bags and checking them at the new carrier.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:32 am

Andrea
When boarding from SJU I have been asked citizenship by US Customs + Border Protection while entering the jet bridge. US citizens normally only need to verbally state US citizenship to proceed (no passport required). Non-US citizens have to show a passport with valid visa to travel to the US. I think as long as you were processed at the port of entry when you first enter the USA, you will present your passport in SJU on the jet bridge, they'll see you have a valid I-94W or visa+I-94 and you'll be on your way to JFK in about 2 mins. Arrival in JFK is handled as a domestic arrival.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 5:40 am

Thanks
Andrea
I flew out of SJU this past Sunday and the USDA employee required us to put all bags through. This included checked luggage, a large carry-on, laptop bag and my mother's tiny purse. He said it all had to go through.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by PlateMan
I flew out of SJU this past Sunday and the USDA employee required us to put all bags through. This included checked luggage, a large carry-on, laptop bag and my mother's tiny purse. He said it all had to go through.
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Today, I only needed to send my checked luggage through the USDA Xray, my small laptop bag did not need to go through.

Who knows what the actual rule is, but just be prepared do whatever the USDA person says!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.