Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

2 Hour JFK connection with checked baggage - Terminal 5 to Terminal 2 - Is it doable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 Hour JFK connection with checked baggage - Terminal 5 to Terminal 2 - Is it doable?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:00 am
Original Poster

2 Hour JFK connection with checked baggage - Terminal 5 to Terminal 4 - Is it doable?

Hi everyone,

I'm not familiar with JFK airport and would really appreciate any help with this connection. I'm planning to fly along with 3 others from Las Vegas (LAS) to JFK. The departure time from LAS is scheduled to 10:05 pm and the arrival on JFK's Terminal 5 is 5:53 am. I have an international flight (Avianca) back to Bogota departing form Terminal 4 at 8:00 am.
My question is if this connection is doable? Please remember that the 4 passengers will have 2 checked bags each.
If its possible what is the best (fastest) way to get from Term 5 to Term 2? Any other hints that I should be aware of?

Thank you so much!

Last edited by Karaskis; Mar 24, 2011 at 9:13 am
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:38 am

you can take the Air Train just outside the terminal to T4 or there may be a walkway connection, I'm not sure. 2 hrs is tight considering you'll have to retrieve your bags and then check in at Avianca. There is no room for error.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pc820
you can take the Air Train just outside the terminal to T4 or there may be a walkway connection, I'm not sure. 2 hrs is tight considering you'll have to retrieve your bags and then check in at Avianca. There is no room for error.
Thanks for the answer. Do you know how long (average) does it take for the checked bags to be available? I think 5:55 am isn't a rush hour for the airport so I'm hopping it doesn't take too long.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
airtrain

There are 2 different airtrans shuttles that go around the airport. If both are running make sure you take the one that has terminal 4 as the next stop (as compare to the one that goes to terminal 7 next) . That will save you some time .
Old Mar 25, 2011, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I think it should be fine so long as the flight is on time. Given the likely 60 minute check-in limit for the Avianca flight you have about 20 minutes waiting for bags, 20 minutes to get to T4 and 20 minutes in line there before you are in trouble. If there is a delay you could start to eat into that buffer but odds are you will be fine.

The point about catching the correct AirTrain is a good one. You want the "All Terminals" train. It will be to the left as you come down the escalator on to the platform.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I think it should be fine so long as the flight is on time. Given the likely 60 minute check-in limit for the Avianca flight you have about 20 minutes waiting for bags, 20 minutes to get to T4 and 20 minutes in line there before you are in trouble. If there is a delay you could start to eat into that buffer but odds are you will be fine.

The point about catching the correct AirTrain is a good one. You want the "All Terminals" train. It will be to the left as you come down the escalator on to the platform.

Thank you so much for your advise. It is very helpful.
I did some research about the flight arrival time (flightaware.com) and what it seems is that it arrives sooner than scheduled. The flight duration is actually shorter than what's on JetBlue's website, that is about 4 hours and not 4:48.

Another point is this flight will be on July 27 (Wednesday) and will arrive on JFK on July 28 (Thursday). I'm not sure if July is an "hush" month for the US airports like it is for Brazil (school vacations). If July is a hush month my chances of a delayed flight are higher..

The good thing is it seems that I'm not running into any hush hours on any of the airports. Flight departs from LAS at 10:05 pm and arrives 5:00~5:30 am at JFK.

Please let me know what you think!
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.