Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

How far do you think B6 and LH will go?

Old Oct 8, 09, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone see the possibility of Lufthansa flights operating out of JFK T5 in the future? Lufthansa flights operated by Jetblue crews and vice-versa? More ownership by LH?
Old Oct 9, 09, 2:22 am

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
I'm pretty sure as of now, T5 isn't able to handle widebodies so I don't see them operating flights out of the same terminal, although it would make connecting between the 2 airlines much much easier.

Also, I don't think that a foreign entity can own more than 25% of a US airline, and they own 19% currently, IIRC, so there's not really much more ownership to be had.
Old Oct 9, 09, 6:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There will be more code-sharing. There will likely be FF reciprocity. B6 might even try to join *A at some point. And that's about it. T5 has no USICS services so they can't handle international arrivals and there is no lounge available for LH premium passenger on a departure. Plus thee gate areas can't handle wide-body loads. And, on top of it all, LH owns part of T1 and they have made major capital investments there. They aren't moving.

Nothing is going to change.
Old Oct 10, 09, 1:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
A terminal bus might be a nice addition if connecting traffic warrants it. Would save having to re-clear security (though would need to pick up post-customs).
Old Oct 10, 09, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by seanherron View Post
A terminal bus might be a nice addition if connecting traffic warrants it. Would save having to re-clear security (though would need to pick up post-customs).
It would only help for B6->LH passengers because of that. If the relationship is anything like the EI one there just aren't enough passengers to justify the cost., IMO The re-clearance at JFK isn't so bad. The AirTrain handles baggage carts just fine and the whole thing shouldn't take more than an hour.
Old Oct 10, 09, 9:42 am

New T5 "international" concourse?

Originally Posted by ferrarixp View Post
Does anyone see the possibility of Lufthansa flights operating out of JFK T5 in the future?
The only way I see this happening is if Lufthansa steps up and finances a new wing on T5 with immigration/customs facilities. T6 could be demolished and replaced with a new T5 "international" concourse featuring mostly wide-body capable gates.

Lufthansa could move their operations from T1 and JetBlue their international flights that currently have to arrive at T4 for immigration/customs. If there is excess capacity, the facility could be marketed first to other airlines having a close relationship with LH or B6. I assume Lufthansa could finance part of it by selling their partial interest in T1.

Last edited by 201flyer; Oct 10, 09 at 10:26 am
Old Oct 11, 09, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by 201flyer View Post
The only way I see this happening is if Lufthansa steps up and finances a new wing on T5 with immigration/customs facilities. T6 could be demolished and replaced with a new T5 "international" concourse featuring mostly wide-body capable gates.

Lufthansa could move their operations from T1 and JetBlue their international flights that currently have to arrive at T4 for immigration/customs. If there is excess capacity, the facility could be marketed first to other airlines having a close relationship with LH or B6. I assume Lufthansa could finance part of it by selling their partial interest in T1.
Interesting, and I suppose it could work. There is probably room for another 5-7 big bird gates in that space so they could do it, but LH has very recently invested a LOT of money in T1. It would be hard to recover that at any level by moving to a new terminal essentially dedicated to themselves.

Looking at it from LH's perspective, would you do it? It is a huge capital expense and a couple years down the line. Why spend that cash when your existing infrastructure is really quite nice - well above adequate?
Old Oct 11, 09, 1:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Priority Club
T5 is not capable of handling widebodies for now. That could change, but I don't think it will. B6 needs its gates for its own purposes. But I do expect to see significantly increased code-sharing going forward.
Old Oct 11, 09, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by FreequentFlier View Post
T5 is not capable of handling widebodies for now. That could change, but I don't think it will. B6 needs its gates for its own purposes. But I do expect to see significantly increased code-sharing going forward.
Correct. It would require a rebuilt (and connected) T6 to accommodate wide-body planes.
Old Oct 16, 09, 10:54 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Platinum
i'm guessing B6 members can't get access to the LH lounges yet, huh?

or will that ever happen?
Old Oct 16, 09, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by haddon90 View Post
i'm guessing B6 members can't get access to the LH lounges yet, huh?

or will that ever happen?
Definitely not now and probably not likely anytime in the near future. It would require B6 establishing some sort of "elite" system and mapping that across to the LH lounges. Oh, and paying LH for that access.
Old Oct 17, 09, 10:23 pm
Suspended

One would think DL/AF/KE would like to take over T1 and link it to T2/3. KL could move from T4 as well as DL's T4. So perhaps DL/AF would buy out LH. JL would probably gladly sell its share and move in with AA.

LH could fund the international development of T6 with B6 intl flights, OS and LX moving in. Keep in mind with LH buying BD one has to believe BD LHR-JFK flights are in the future. Combined with CO moving to *A LH would be well positioned to compete against BA/AA and AF/DL. Same terminal BD LHR-JFK-onward connections to the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic would enable LH to build stronger connecting traffic and higher frequency. LHR-JFK is the blue chip route TATL.
Old May 10, 10, 5:47 pm

An old thread, but can you earn FF miles through the LH program flying B6 (or connecting through B6 onto LH)? Also, do this apply to the LH owned airlines like Swiss?
Old May 10, 10, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shangri-La View Post
An old thread, but can you earn FF miles through the LH program flying B6 (or connecting through B6 onto LH)? Also, do this apply to the LH owned airlines like Swiss?
No, you can't.
Old May 13, 10, 7:24 pm

Programs: BA Blue, US, UA, FL, B6
Originally Posted by seanherron View Post
You should have to re-clear security anyway. When you go through immigration and customs, you have access to your checked luggage, so no matter what you'd have to go through security. Unless you have to go through security to get out of T4 or T1 like you do to get out of Concourse E at ATL, you should have to go through security exactly once at JFK.