FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-509/)
-   -   Intensive winter sightseeing – 8 cities in 3 weeks itinerary (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan/997088-intensive-winter-sightseeing-o-8-cities-3-weeks-itinerary.html)

SJUAMMF Sep 23, 2009 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by jib71 (Post 12424889)
...my envelope was politely but very frimly rebuffed.

Put that thin envelope back and pull out the thick one, lol.

NewbieRunner Sep 23, 2009 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by msb0b (Post 12423228)
If you worried about not being able to book tickets around the New Year, you should consider putting the Tokyo portion at the end of the trip. Personally, I think doing the trekking up front and then have some time to wind down at the end works better. You can also use the time to pick up gifts and souvenirs, especially on the first, when the stores sell fukubukuro.

I've been wondering about booking situation during the New Year period which this year could stretch from Saturday 26th to Sunday 3rd. Obviously it isn't practical to avoid travel between these dates but 1st January is apparently a good day for travel since most Japanese don't travel on 1st. Trains out of Tokyo (and other big cities) tend to be crowded before the New Year and trains in the opposite direction are crowded after the New Year.

Seat reservations for Shinkansen and other long-distance trains start one month before the date of travel (one week earlier for online reservation) but for the New Year period advance reservation sometimes starts earlier. By the time the OP arrives in Japan not all seats will have gone (based on reports from previous years) but seats on some popular trains may have been sold out. Based on last year's reports busiest days/times would be the morning of 30th (away from cities) and the afternoon of 3rd (towards cities).

It would be best to build in some flexibility especially on days when long distance travel is involved.

Grounded again Sep 23, 2009 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by jib71 (Post 12426596)
Blurgh. Gaugin yerself. I'm more of a Perry.

LOL. niceeeee ^

MichalFKowalik Oct 12, 2009 10:52 am

Hey,

quick update - award flights are now booked (that was a run!), hostels through hostels.com are booked as well. Seems like JR is the last part to be purchased.

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 12427430)
It would be best to build in some flexibility especially on days when long distance travel is involved.

I was just wondering - would we decrease the risk of having troubles during New Year period by purchasing GREEN JR pass? Difference is not that big comparing to the ordinary one, plus we did some good savings with LH/LX awards and hostels.

What do you think?
mf

SJUAMMF Oct 12, 2009 3:48 pm

I feel it is easier to strike up a conversation with fellow passengers in regular cars than Green cars.

jib71 Oct 12, 2009 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by MichalFKowalik (Post 12608863)
I was just wondering - would we decrease the risk of having troubles during New Year period by purchasing GREEN JR pass?

Do you absolutely need to take a specific train at a specific time on one of the peak travel days?

If not, then you will probably be able to make regular seat reservations that meet your needs when you arrive on 18/Dec. The Green pass might give you a couple more options, but with a little flexibility you will get by just fine. (Bear in mind that Green isn't a 100% guarantee of availability either - although it does give you a better chance of getting seat reservations at the peak times).

In a worst case, when there are absolutely no seats to be had and you absolutely must take a specific train, you usually have the option of queuing up on the platform nice-n-early early for a non-reserved seat. Especially at Osaka, where plenty of trains start their journeys, this is a viable option (but realize that there will be many locals with the same idea). Wrap up warm, grab your position on the platform, make a seat out of your rucksack and play cards with your friends until the train opens up for passengers.

chamade Oct 12, 2009 6:44 pm

TIPS

I believe at a ryokan you leave a tip in an envelope for the maid at the end of your stay, not the beginning. Japanese do appreciate tips, by the way, but for extra service, and done discreetly and out of view.

Ryokan are nice but you cannot use them as you would a hotel. The maids prefer putting down your futon (and only at a ceratin prescribed time of evening) and naps, for the jet lagged, become a hassle. You are also obliged to eat their food and it is often not so great, despite promotions to the contrary. And most of your moves are monitored by the staff.

Sometimes a so called 'rabu hoteru' or love hotel is worth a try for the variety if you can find one nearby. They are not usually very expensive and fully equipped.

How about Shiretoko for your Hokkaido segment? Forget Osaka and Nagoya - there are no theres there. Many Japanese cities are almost identical to each other and the in-city landscapes are not at all interesting.

jib71 Oct 12, 2009 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by chamade (Post 12614478)
I believe at a ryokan you leave a tip in an envelope for the maid at the end of your stay, not the beginning.

From what I read, the custom was/is to give the Nakai-san an envelope containing a tip after she brings the guests to their room and prepares tea - i.e. at the beginning of the stay.

In any case, it appears not to be common practice AFAICT.