Search

Sumo or other cultural activities

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold
Sumo or other cultural activities

Hi,

Does anyone know of any Sumo houses or some other cultural activities that maybe are open to guests to come in and spend some time learning about the culture?

I've found one place (farm/temple) however it is closed over the winter months.

Thanks

- David
Old Feb 16, 2009, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which part of Japan/city are you interested in?
Old Feb 16, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Almost all Sumo stables (heya) are in Tokyo. They're mostly clustered around Ryogoku and neighbouring districts. I was able to set up visits to several in the past -- always calling ahead of time with a polite request. However, I hear they're not so open to visitors these days.
Some companies seem to arrange tours:
http://hisexperience.jp/culturalactivities/sumo.html

It's worth noting that this is not a museum or a cultural show - it's a group of professional sportsmen in training to win - and winning is their livelihood.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:59 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bear in mind that some weeks before each of the three annual major sumo tournaments held outside Tokyo, the sumo stables move to temporary digs in the city where the tournament will be held and are not in Tokyo.

I've only visited a stable once and didn't call ahead, but I knew one of the senior coaches and he knew me so maybe that ensured my welcome. I found that visit very possibly more interesting than the actual tournament -- the training is BRUTAL! Also, as I left, I gave a nice bottle of whiskey with my card to someone to give to the sensei, that might be appropriate to consider as well.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by davem4
...Does anyone know of any Sumo houses or some other cultural activities that maybe are open to guests to come in and spend some time learning about the culture? ...
Are you specifically looking to visit or are you interested in learning about sumo? I can't help with a visit but can link some on-line resources to learn quite a bit about the sport.

JR
Old Feb 16, 2009, 6:20 pm

deleted

Last edited by jib71; Feb 16, 2009 at 10:22 pm
Old Feb 17, 2009, 5:21 am
Original Poster

I was worried about calling it a Sumo Stable.

But it seems it is the right name.

My group of 7 has 15 days in Japan, about 6 days will be in tokyo and the rest will be touring Shikoku (staying on a farm for a few days) and the major cities between Tokyo and Hiroshima. Also taking in a game of soccer whilst we are there.

I was hoping for a visit to Sapporo however that last leg between Hachinohe adn Sapporo is very long and thows out the times we planned (ie want to only travel at night).

Well just being able to go and even watch some training would be amazing, we do not have much japanese speaking ability (one of us can read).
Old Feb 17, 2009, 7:01 am

It's also possible that your visit might coincide with a Sumo tournament or one of the tours that the sumo wrestlers do -
http://www.sumo.or.jp/eng/jungyo/summary/index.html

The tours are good fun. You don't see any really hard fighting, because the wrestlers don't want to injure themselves outside of a proper tournament. But you can see some good exhibition bouts, some comedy wrestling against children and there's some opportunity to interact with the wrestlers.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
It's also possible that your visit might coincide with a Sumo tournament or one of the tours that the sumo wrestlers do -
http://www.sumo.or.jp/eng/jungyo/summary/index.html

The tours are good fun. You don't see any really hard fighting, because the wrestlers don't want to injure themselves outside of a proper tournament. But you can see some good exhibition bouts, some comedy wrestling against children and there's some opportunity to interact with the wrestlers.
Thanks for that site.

We will be in Japan from 23rd Feb - 09th of March

Unfortunatley no Tournament or tour :-/
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:31 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Delta Gold, Avis First, Hertz Gold Plus, Glee Club, Yearbook
I would also be interested in visiting a Sumo stable. I will be in Japan for my honeymoon from June 25-July 8, 2009, specifically Tokyo for June 25-July 1.

I understand that there will be a major tournament in less than a month after that, but I hope it does not hamper my chances of seeing a practice.

I understand that there are tours available from HISexperience, among others. Would anyone else mind sharing or PM'ing me some tips or information as to how/whom to contact or what ways a very quiet, respectful foreigner could see a morning's practice?

A poster mentioned whisky. I'll ask about that in another thread...
Old Apr 3, 2009, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NewsBruin
Would anyone else mind sharing or PM'ing me some tips or information as to how/whom to contact or what ways a very quiet, respectful foreigner could see a morning's practice?
I didn't want to volunteer this immediately as it's been some years since I used this information to go to a Sumo practice.

http://www.quirkyjapan.or.tv/kanto-asageiko.htm
If using it, do take care as it might be out of date now.
I also took a bottle of whisky with me and a had a marvellous, very memorable morning.

----
For UK residents, the BBC recently repeated this fascinating 30 minute documentary on the hair stylists who fashion the wrestlers topknots.

Highly recommended!:-::-::-::-::-:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...for_Wrestlers/
Old Apr 3, 2009, 12:07 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by NewsBruin
I would also be interested in visiting a Sumo stable. I will be in Japan for my honeymoon from June 25-July 8, 2009, specifically Tokyo for June 25-July 1.

I understand that there will be a major tournament in less than a month after that, but I hope it does not hamper my chances of seeing a practice.
I thought I responded to this but don't see my earlier post.

The summer basho starts on July 12 in Nagoya. Many of the heyas will move to temporary quarters in Nagoya before that. I don't know how early they will move but that may impact your chances to find one to visit in Tokyo in late June.

Just for info. I'd suggest checking with the tour organizer anyway.

JR
Old Apr 4, 2009, 6:56 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could go down to Nagoya for a night and see them there, I did that once. Problem is finding out the locations -- I doubt I could re-find the one I went to, and I wouldn't have found it in the first place had not I been told the exact location by the manager of a (then active) wrestler that I happened to know.

JNTO might be able to do it for you. Clearly it isn't a total secret, there were other people there watching as well.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Delta Gold, Avis First, Hertz Gold Plus, Glee Club, Yearbook
Thank you. I forgot all about posting in this thread. I'll review the site and see if it helps.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LapLap
For UK residents, the BBC recently repeated this fascinating 30 minute documentary on the hair stylists who fashion the wrestlers topknots.

Highly recommended!:-::-::-::-::-:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...for_Wrestlers/
Shame this film isn't available any more.

The documentary opened my senses to some exquisite craftsmanship I'd been completely unaware of. At Asakusa I approached a sportsman wearing a chonmage and (with permission!) breathed in the delicious perfume from the unique pomade the tokoyama uses to fashion it.
The laboriously handcrafted pomade isn't applied until after the morning practice, so it isn't something I'd come across before.
A day later, in Ryogoku, I heard the sound of a bicycle bell behind me, stepped aside, and was momentarily brushed with the same glorious scent. The quickly departing cyclist was on the wide side and had a chonmage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.