Wiki Posts
Search

Japan iphone Banter

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2008, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Japan iphone Banter

Hopefully we can get some Japan-specific iphone info going in this thread.

I'm more interested in the Japanese language capabilities of the phone as opposed to purchase/Softbank KK info but we could kind of use this as a catch all.

Personally I like the fact that the AT&T (US) version I would get appears to have native Japanese read/write support in the OS including predictive text. A much better solution than hacking the Eng ver of WM5. I'm planning to give it a whirl to see if I can get used to the "soft" keyboard.

Anybody looking to get one?

Cheers,

Scho
Old Jul 7, 2008, 8:03 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by schoflyer
Hopefully we can get some Japan-specific iphone info going in this thread...
Why?

Seems pretty off-topic for this forum. Maybe the Travel Technology forum would be a bit more appropriate.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 3:23 am

Programs: WWMFD
Excerpts from Nikkei 07-07-08
ON THE RADAR: Analysts Hold Mixed Views On Impact Of iPhone Launch In Japan

TOKYO (Nikkei)--Securities analysts have different views of the possible market impact of Friday's launch of Apple Inc.'s iPhone 3G handsets in Japan by Softbank Mobile Corp., the cellular phone unit of Softbank Corp. (9984).

The iPhone has already attracted a positive reaction from Japanese consumers even before the release date because it combines the capabilities of a mobile phone and the iPod digital music player, while featuring a fashionable design.

Given its favorable reputation, some analysts predict the iPhone could spark a shift in the use of mobile phones to data communications away from voice calls, but others estimate that the impact will be rather limited.

Softbank Mobile's average monthly revenue per subscriber stands at 4,310 yen for the January-March quarter, more than 1,000 yen less than at rival NTT DoCoMo Inc. (9437). The Softbank group hopes the launch of iPhone 3G handsets will substantially boost its revenue from data communications services by setting a monthly fee of 5,985 yen.

According to a June survey conducted by Kakaku.com Inc. on registered users of the firm's price comparison sites, slightly more than half of the respondents said they would consider buying an iPhone 3G. While many respondents find its functions and design attractive, some people said the machine lacks some of the extra features included in most cell phones sold in Japan, such as e-money capability and the ability to receive "one-seg" terrestrial digital TV broadcast services.

Hiroshi Yamashina of Nikko Citigroup Ltd. said, "The iPhone is expected to attract people who like digital music players as well as heavy Internet users." He predicts the device will prove a big hit, with annual sales possibly reaching 1.2 million units, partly buoyed by the relatively low price of just over 23,000 yen for the less expensive of the two models.

Meanwhile, Hironori Tanaka at Morgan Stanley Japan Securities Co. does not expect the iPhone to provide a dramatic boost to Softbank's earnings. He also estimates that iPhone shipments will run to only 700,000 to 800,000 units through March next year, equal to only about 4% of the subscribers to Softbank's mobile phone services.

-- Translated from an article by Nikkei staff writer Kenji Kawase
I might be tempted if I can switch sim cards in the US for temporary service.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Why?

Seems pretty off-topic for this forum. Maybe the Travel Technology forum would be a bit more appropriate.
I really don't think so. I'm looking for experiences, info, etc, from "Japan" FTers regarding a product specific to Japan the Softbank iphone or a another iphone user roaming specifically in Japan. I'm particularly interested the Japanese language functionality of the device as well.

Seems as on topic as a Toto Washlet

-Scho
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Seems as on topic as a Toto Washlet
But I think the question here is what is a bigger contribution to civilized living? The iPhone or the Toto Washlet? My vote goes to the Washlet, hands down, or at least sitting down.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Now...Back on topic...Surfing Safari on your iphone while riding your Toto.

Latest iToto 2.0 rumors at ft.pickles.com.

Cheers.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 2:39 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
... Seems as on topic as a Toto Washlet...
As much as I might disagree with anything else, I simply can't argue with this.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 3:28 pm

For what it's worth, I can see the iPhone not being a huge success in Japan. Now that I'm back in the US, I have an iPhone which I love and am going to upgrade to the new, 3G version as soon as the lines die down. But, many of the iPhone's features were also available on the 904SH I had when I was in Japan, and that's already a couple generations old now.

The iPhone has a much smoother interface, far better email and internet browsing, but it's not head and shoulders above my 904SH which had a better camera and could also record video. The iPhone's WiFi is great here, but I feel like because of HSDPA and PHS cards, there's a lot less WiFi in Japan than there is in the US. I could be wrong, but that's just my impression.

I think the iPhone's biggest problem is going to be that it's very hard to type on while moving, and in particular while riding on the subway. I found it much easier to type on my Blackberry which has fixed keys, and very hard to get the precise letter when the train is bouncing around.

Will be interesting to see what happens though. One of my Japanese friends has been dying to get one since they were released in the US. With 3hr+ lines for donuts, I'm afraid to think what the queuing might look like for iPhones...

Alex
Old Jul 8, 2008, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Great toilet humour !
Old Jul 8, 2008, 4:38 pm

Programs: WWMFD
Nikkei reports today that people are already camping out at Softbank and other discount stores in anticipation of Friday's release.

Sounds like the US.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:26 pm

Programs: 10-year UA 1K and 2 MM, then AA EXP, now BA Silver; next stop, Kayak
Won't work: wrong frequencies

Doesn't seem possible to edit the title now, but what I meant was that 3G phones for the US market (as the OP seemed to be intending to get) won't work elsewhere. Obviously, a model intended for the Japanese market will work there.

3G on ATT in the USA uses 850 and 1900 (T-Mo uses 1700). The rest of the world uses 2100.

Last edited by someotherguy; Jul 8, 2008 at 10:32 pm Reason: Confusion
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:46 pm
mjm
Original Member

Hmmmm.....

My ATT Tilt works very well on DoCoMo's network here in Tokyo (albeit darned expensive). Is the Apple iPhone differently set up from the Tilt with regard to what frequencies it can handle?

Mike

Originally Posted by someotherguy
Doesn't seem possible to edit the title now, but what I meant was that 3G phones for the US market (as the OP seemed to be intending to get) won't work elsewhere. Obviously, a model intended for the Japanese market will work there.

3G on ATT in the USA uses 850 and 1900 (T-Mo uses 1700). The rest of the world uses 2100.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:13 pm

Programs: 10-year UA 1K and 2 MM, then AA EXP, now BA Silver; next stop, Kayak
Originally Posted by mjm
Hmmmm.....

My ATT Tilt works very well on DoCoMo's network here in Tokyo (albeit darned expensive). Is the Apple iPhone differently set up from the Tilt with regard to what frequencies it can handle?

Mike
I must admit that has me flummoxed. 3G phones fall back to GSM but that won't do any good in Japan. Let's see if anyone can clear up the mystery.

My European 3G phone works fine in Japan with a US T-Mobile SIM but doesn't detect any signal at all in the US (it uses 2100 for 3G and falls back to GSM on the 900/1800 frequencies, none of which are used in the US).
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

I must admit that has me flummoxed. 3G phones fall back to GSM but that won't do any good in Japan. Let's see if anyone can clear up the mystery.

My European 3G phone works fine in Japan with a US T-Mobile SIM but doesn't detect any signal at all in the US (it uses 2100 for 3G and falls back to GSM on the 900/1800 frequencies, none of which are used in the US).
The Tilt, my current Treo 750 and the new iphone all sport UMTS 2100. That's why they work in Japan. It's the same unit that will be sold world wide pretty much.

This is why it works...
UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
Wi-Fi (802.11b/g)
Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

Cheers,

Scho
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
The I-phone will work fine in Japan. The 2100 MHz frequency is the key

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.