Wiki Posts
Search

Improvements to Re-entry Disembarkation/Embarkation card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2008, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Improvements to Re-entry Disembarkation/Embarkation card

Apparently, the Immigration folks have figured out they already know most of what they ask for on the re-entry card. Thus, when I came through the semi-"Automated Gate" last night, they handed me a card that has most of the boxes marked through in red pen. According to the friendly immigration official (seems the gate is always opened by a supervisor when I stumble over there) the new limitations on what you have to fill out are for everyone, not just gate users.

The only boxes not redlined are:
Embarkation side: Name, nationality, DOB, sex, flight number, destination, and signature.
Disembarkation side: Name, nationality, DOB, sex, flight number, and the questions on the back.

So, no longer will you have to tell them your "intended" address each time you leave the country.

Incidentally, I'm finding the gate actually saves the most time on outbound immigration. Last Saturday morning the queues were back to the back wall at 1S, so I went over to the automated gate where there was no line (but some very angry Japanese as they also had a full queue of folks for the inspector at the gate -- thus the automated gate gaijin were really a priority queue on them. One of them actually told me I should wait in line, but both the immigration person and the friendly Narita person managing the priority told him I absolutely should not. This could get ugly.)
Old Mar 1, 2008, 8:43 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by hamburgler
Apparently, the Immigration folks have figured out they already know most of what they ask for on the re-entry card.
Thanks for the news hamburgler. So this means that you no longer need to write your passport number and alien registration card number on the form?

That would be an improvement, since those are two of the pieces of information that I usually need to verify (the other is my flight number). I usually complete the forms on the train to avoid fumbling around in the immigration hall with luggage, tickets, gaijin card, passport, immigration form and pen. But sometimes I forget...

I assume that the red lines are a temporary measure until they print new forms to take account of this improvement. It would be great if they would just do away with the forms, like they did for Japanese passport holders a while back.

To this end, I'd be happy to sign a once-and-forever declaration that I will comply with the stuff on the back of the form. All the other information on that form could be gleaned by scanning the barcodes on my passport, boarding pass and gaijin card (except the full list of countries I will visit, which is a pointless thing to ask since my itinerary sometimes changes during my trip).

Originally Posted by hamburgler
thus the automated gate gaijin were really a priority queue on them. One of them actually told me I should wait in line
Japanese citizens may also register their prints and use those gates. Mrs. jib (a Japanese citizen) has done so and can now avoid the awful Monday morning lines before the flights to China. If the angry folks don't want to be fingerprinted... it's really not the gaijins' fault, is it?

Perhaps you should have invited Mr. Angry to go ahead in front of you at the automated gate... I'm sure you would have melted his heart with your generous gesture.

Last edited by jib71; Mar 1, 2008 at 11:12 pm
Old Mar 2, 2008, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by jib71
Thanks for the news hamburgler. So this means that you no longer need to write your passport number and alien registration card number on the form?
That's correct.

Originally Posted by jib71
Perhaps you should have invited Mr. Angry to go ahead in front of you at the automated gate... I'm sure you would have melted his heart with your generous gesture.
Mr. Angry was probably about 5 or 6 places back in line. But I can understand his frustration, especially since it seems there was enough flow of automated gate users to slow his line down by about 50% (why there's always folks using the gate upon exit, but when I get back in there's never anyone using the gate and they have to get a guy to open it is beyond me, but meh.) Anyway, I was in a hurry to get to the lounge and have some breakfast sushi, so I basically told him to pound sand.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 7:28 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing was crossed off on my embarkation or disembarkation cards when I went through in the last two weeks.

Incidentally, on entry, when the time came to get fingerprinted, I realized I had a bandaid on my left index finger. Didn't bother the inspector at all, she just told me to use my third finger on both hands! Kind of makes me wonder if this requirement is strictly a psychological deterrent.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 8:49 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Nothing was crossed off on my embarkation or disembarkation cards when I went through in the last two weeks.
I think that this thread applies to residents of Japan with re-entry permits.
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
psychological deterrent.
I think you're right.
And they don't actually use anti bacterial spray to clean the equipment - just a placebo liquid known as "psychological detergent".

Last edited by jib71; Mar 2, 2008 at 8:55 am Reason: to add a lame pun that i just thought of
Old Mar 2, 2008, 10:46 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I got a redlined card when I re-entered last month, but today they gave me the old-style card without any fields struck out. Very curious. (Both times using the normal re-entry permit line, not the automated gate.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.