Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Shoes for the Urban Japan Jungle

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2006, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance
Travel Shoes for the Urban Japan Jungle

I pride myself in being a light traveler and only in the rarest of cases do I check baggage. One way I keep it light is by not packing shoes, bringing only the shoes on my feet. When I first visited Japan, I would wear light weight, laced shoes with arch support inserts. These would work great for walking long distances and for the constant up and down stair climbing at train stations. In my particular case, they were unfashionable, but during travel comfort must come first. Of course, the problem was they slowed me down in the frequent removal department...at homes, hotels, temples, some restaurants and so on.

So, solution two came along, something like this. They have been great for slipping on and off, but as a function of that ease, they fit a bit loose, so during long walks they move around and dog my feet.

At home, the shoe I use for almost all non-work situations, is the Birkenstock Arizona. Wearing this shoe, in Japan, seems great, since I would feel comfortable wearing it for many mile walks and I can slide in and out of it quickly. The other advantage is that during constant use, the sweaty feet are allowed to breath. I have two concerns, however. One is that someone will crush my exposed toes on a crowded train and the second is that they will somehow fly off the train platform and into the no man's land of the train tracks. My you, I've never had much of a problem with these Birkies flying off, but I hate to find myself shoeless in Japan.

I'm hoping others can share their specific Japan shoe experiences and recommendations, particularly those who are partial to Birkenstocks. Maybe a model with a heel strap will work? In advance, thank you.

Another take:

* aelexneb
* Nov 2nd 2006

I dignity myself in being a beacon traveler and only in the rarest of cases do I foil bag. One way I keep it aspect is by not packing cringe, bringing only the cringe on my feet. When I first visited Japan, I would wearing kindle load, laced cringe with roguish enforce inserts. These would cultivate desperate for walking extensive distances and for the invariable up and down stair climbing at chain stations. In my single lawsuit, they were unfashionable, but during voyages relieve must separate first. Of assuredly, the fine kettle of fish was they slowed me down in the familiar eviction district...at housing, hotels, temples, some restaurants and so on.

So, working two came along, something http://clarks.zappos.com/n/p/dp/16439382/c/281.html. They have been neat for downward on and off, but as a r“le of that well-being, they fit a bit unfettered, so during big walks they move around and dog my feet.

At abode, the shoe I use for almost all non-exertion situations, is the http://www.birkenstockmainstreet.com/biarsainmoor.html. Tedious this shoe, in Japan, seems spanking, since I would sense undisturbed punishing it for many mile walks and I can glide in and out of it rapidly. The other asset is that during patient use, the sweaty feet are given to exhalation. I have two concerns, however. One is that someone will crumple my vulnerable toes on a full indoctrinate and the minute is that they will somehow fly off the chain stage and into the no man's terra firma of the accustom tracks. My you, I've never had much of a enigma with these Birkies flight off, but I rancour to find myself shoeless in Japan.

I'm desirous others can voice their categorical Japan shoe experiences and recommendations, custom those who are bigoted to Birkenstocks. Perchance a exemplary with a run-down flog will industry? In forward, thanks you.

Last edited by Sunnyhere; Jan 1, 2009 at 8:34 am
Old Nov 2, 2006, 6:29 pm

Programs: WWMFD
Originally Posted by Sunnyhere
At home, the shoe I use for almost all non-work situations, is the Birkenstock Arizona. Wearing this shoe, in Japan, seems great, since I would feel comfortable wearing it for many mile walks and I can slide in and out of it quickly. The other advantage is that during constant use, the sweaty feet are allowed to breath. I have two concerns, however. One is that someone will crush my exposed toes on a crowded train and the second is that they will somehow fly off the train platform and into the no man's land of the train tracks. My you, I've never had much of a problem with these Birkies flying off, but I hate to find myself shoeless in Japan.
Use the Bs. Your toes will be fine & if they don't fly off at home, they won't here.

If they do, go to an outdoor market or ABC Shoe Mart & get cheap replacements.

Wow, I have the doors open now & the taikos are drumming @ Yasakuni Jinja for "Cultural Day" festivities.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 8:30 pm

The best shoe that I know is the SAS comfort shoe. I first learned about it from consumers reports. Not available in Japan as far as I know.

Wow, I have the doors open now & the taikos are drumming @ Yasakuni Jinja for "Cultural Day" festivities. [/QUOTE]

I can hear them here with the doors closed.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Tokyorich
I can hear them here with the doors closed.
So you're in teh hood?

I'm at work now & all I'm getting is the right-wingers with their fn loud trucks.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 1:49 pm
In memoriam

When I was recently in China and Japan, my fashionable friend had shoe problems, plus at 9 US her feet were, according the the sales clerks, too big to fit! But she just couldn't walk in the shoes she had brought. Eventually, she found an Italian shoe brand, Geox, which had a store in Shanghai and bought a couple of pairs on sale there. They saved her. And look great. They are well made and the selling point is that they breathe through the sole via special goretex like technology.

They were a lot cheaper in China than in the US (they were on sale in August).

Then, we went to Tokyo and found a Geox store on the Ginza. Shoes were also on sale there, even cheaper and she bought some more. Says she loves em and can walk anywhere in em.

SAS shoes are little too retired, white belt for me. But, they are comfortable.

I just got a pair of the classic Converse Chuck Taylors and, you know, they are really comfortable. I'll bet the Japanese would love em. Especially my new ones patterned in the Stars and Stripes!
Old Nov 3, 2006, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
I just got a pair of the classic Converse Chuck Taylors and, you know, they are really comfortable. I'll bet the Japanese would love em. Especially my new ones patterned in the Stars and Stripes!
These are actually a little more popular.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 6:27 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Puma Trainaway - stylish, with collapsable heel and built-in hotel key card holder.

A gadget worthy shoe, deserving of a Japanese visit:

http://viacomit.free.fr/wp-content/u...Train_Away.JPG

http://www.trainaway.puma.com/pindex.jsp
Old Nov 3, 2006, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NW, DL, Marriott
Smile

I'm hoping others can share their specific Japan shoe experiences and recommendations, particularly those who are partial to Birkenstocks.
Sunnyhere, I live and die by my Birkenstock Arizonas (BA). I wear them nearly year-round here in Sunny Southern California. Having just come back from Japan last month, I wore them about 90 percent of the time (i.e. on subways, shinkansens, taxis, walking through Ginza, Temples, Shinkjuku and Shibuya) and never had a problem! The only time I switched to my Nike's was during anticipated rainstorms (which never happened) and when I went out drinking one night and I knew it would be a late night. Both times, I could have easily kept on my BA's as I incorrectly thought it would be an issue. BTW, last year when I to Tokyo when it was a lot warmer, the BA's never left my side (or feet, I should say!). So, my advice is - you'll be fine. My toes were never unexpectedly crushed.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by Justme123456
... So, my advice is - you'll be fine. My toes were never unexpectedly crushed.
Danke! Arigato! That's exactly the reassurance, from real world Japan experience, I was hoping to hear.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 9:39 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Cool

This thread reminds me of the time when I had to hunt for size 12 US mens size shoes in Tokyo. Ugh.. Had to deal with a seperating sole on one shoe while searching for a new shoe. That sucked, but I didn't mind dropping 11,000 yen to buy new shoes which I needed urgently!

Sanosuke!
Old Nov 3, 2006, 9:53 pm

That's exactly the reassurance, from real world Japan experience, I was hoping to hear.
So what am I, chopped レバー?
Old Nov 3, 2006, 9:56 pm
In memoriam

I actually found a store in Tokyo which had my sizes, a few blocks from the Dai Ichi Hotel Annex, next to the railroad tracks. And, even more amazingly, they were having a big sale. Love the super XXXL (japanes size) shirts I bought. And they had shoes too. But, I was wearing my Chucks!

Doesn't Eddie Bauer deliver to Japan?
Old Nov 4, 2006, 12:59 am

Doesn't Eddie Bauer deliver to Japan?[/QUOTE]

Yes,
Old Nov 4, 2006, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Doesn't Eddie Bauer deliver to Japan?
Alternatively, just go to your local Eddie Bauer store and pay US price + 10-15%.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 9:19 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by kcvt750
Alternatively, just go to your local Eddie Bauer store and pay US price + 10-15%.
I suspect that the Eddie stores in Tokyo have a rather small selection of anything other than very very small. But, I haven't been in one to take a look.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.