Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Processing credit card charges from Japan

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2007, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Processing credit card charges from Japan

I returned from a week in Japan last week and while I didn't put a lot of things on my credit cards (Mastercard and Visa), I did have a few charges. Curiously, none of them have shown up yet on my most recent mailed statements, all of which were processed since my return. In some cases the charges were made on the 1st through the 4th of November, at least a week before the statements were printed and mailed. Now I am not complaining that I have a whole additional cycle of free use of the bank's money, but just find it odd, particularly given the extra day that also comes into play due to the dateline between Japan and NAmerica.

So is it normal for such a delay to occur?
Old Nov 17, 2007, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
That may be so, but they will include what amounts to a 3% surcharge. The vendor will not get paid for another cycle after that.

http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic
Old Nov 17, 2007, 8:07 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Cards

Sorry to disagree but a vendor, or, more correctly, card merchant, is paid the business day after processing bank issued cards like Visa/Master and within 3 business days for Amex/Diners.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 10:23 pm

I find that the charges on my Amex are delayed at least a week. With Amex, I get mid-market exchange rates but pay a 2% fee. I have not used Visa or Mastercard here.

Marc
Old Nov 18, 2007, 4:47 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by RichardKopf
Welcome to FT Richard!
Your posts so far don't match your handle - and I mean that in a good way.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:49 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I've actually had charges be delayed by over a month before they appeared in my online banking.

I distinctly remember buying a pile of CDs at HMV in Shibuya and thinking I had somehow ended up getting them for free. But, sure enough, almost two months later, the charge finally showed up.

Shinkansen tickets purchased via credit card have also taken very long amounts of time to show up, on occasion.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 1:10 am

I've had a whole bunch of credit card charges in Japan, duly swiped and signed for, never show up on my bill. This was a while ago, and it only ever happened for small charges, but as a poor student it was difficult to resist the temptation of visiting a certain major Shibuya bookstore whose charges always disappeared into the ether...
Old Nov 19, 2007, 1:24 am

Programs: UA
seems like japanese banks aren't in a hurry to get paid while their cost of money is cheap.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 7:45 am

Programs: United MP - 2P
Hmmm...

I've used my debit card (as credit) within Japan and I can say they took that money out usually immediately. I did find a few places that were delayed at most 24 hours, but usually everything hit within that 24 hours.

So that makes me curious -- is it the bank just doesn't want to process the card transactions until they are finished, or is it a merchant problem?

But everyone's experiences are different, I'll be watching this and will update during my next trip to Japan in Jan.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 5:14 am

Reading your posts makes me envy you. My charges
here on my U.S. credit cards, usually Capitalone Visa
( no surcharge ) or the occasional AMEX, pop up
within hours on my "recent activity page". And no
charge ever disappeared into the ether. I wish some
had.........
Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by garwynn
I've used my debit card (as credit) within Japan and I can say they took that money out usually immediately. I did find a few places that were delayed at most 24 hours, but usually everything hit within that 24 hours.

So that makes me curious -- is it the bank just doesn't want to process the card transactions until they are finished, or is it a merchant problem?

But everyone's experiences are different, I'll be watching this and will update during my next trip to Japan in Jan.

My ATM withdrawl did post on the day of the transaction, but regular credit card charges have taken up to a week to post...unfortunately they have all now posted.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 12:21 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
JR and Taxi charges are notoriously slow hitting my statement.
Sheraton Miyako was about a week.
But Japan Rail (JR) is the absolute worst!!! 2 weeks sometimes.
Not that I care but I cannot do the my expense reports bat to the mother-ship until things post to my card.

Fortunately, it's my US corp card but I still need to report back to HQ in Japan.

Cheers,

Scho
Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:25 am

If there's one thing the Japanese love, it's Red Tape that creates jobs for people. What you didn't see going on in the back end was a bunch of people passing your charge receipt around, bowing at each other while they signed and stamped it. Why? Who knows, but if you look at banks, travel agencies and post offices and watch the people behind the counter you'll see 3-4 people doing the job that one person and computer would do in the US.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 4:25 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Originally Posted by motytrah
If there's one thing the Japanese love, it's Red Tape that creates jobs for people. What you didn't see going on in the back end was a bunch of people passing your charge receipt around, bowing at each other while they signed and stamped it. Why? Who knows, but if you look at banks, travel agencies and post offices and watch the people behind the counter you'll see 3-4 people doing the job that one person and computer would do in the US.
This would have been a pretty decent post if that USA "card" hadn't been played at the end of it.

Couldn't it just be...
"3-4 people doing the job that one person and a computer could do"?

I just don't think that the comparison to the US is on topic.

Scho
Old Nov 27, 2007, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by schoflyer
This would have been a pretty decent post if that USA "card" hadn't been played at the end of it.

Couldn't it just be...
"3-4 people doing the job that one person and a computer could do"?

I just don't think that the comparison to the US is on topic.

Scho
It's a frame of reference, not a nationalistic statement. I think we all know the Japanese can excel at automation when they want to. Restaurants (all those fancy WiFi Order Pads), car production, and transit just to name a few.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.