Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

ATMs - Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Nagoya & Kobe

ATMs - Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Nagoya & Kobe

Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:30 pm

Never had a problem with my (Bank of America) debit (or ATM, whatever you want to call it) card at any post office, or 7-11/7&i store...
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
So I am trying to follow this along........do you Brits refer to ATM cards (cards that are attached to a savings/current account with no credit card capability) as debit cards?
Yes, that's right.

I will have to say that I just came back from the 7and i, and pulled out cash very easily(this with my Canadian bank card, the kind that works in ATM around the world and is attached to my savings account.) Perhaps Laplap you should check with your financial institution about the problems you had here.............
Y the ???

It's not just mine (Cahoot) but MrLapLap's too (Lloyds). I could pay for a 30 minute hold intro to a long phone call to a customer services rep at Cahoot, but I know very well that whoever I speak to and their supervisor or their supervisor won't have a clue about this.

I think we'll wait until we find out if any other Brits report that things have (or haven't) changed since 1st October 2007 with non Cirrus Debit cards at JP Banks.

Both MrLapLap and I had money in our accounts, and neither of us have ever experienced problems prior to the rebranding. (Except for me during New Year when they are closed for a few days and Citibank offered a once only Christmas miracle). I'd like to think it was a temporary glitch during the initial rebranding period (most of our attempts were on the 2nd & 3rd October), but I'll be taking steps to make sure I don't get caught out in the future.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

= I think it's funny that they call the 7/11, 7&i.

Banks are the same all over the world......... For what it is worth my "debit" card is a Cirrus (but it is also a Plus too).
Old Nov 15, 2007, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA MP
My US debit card works fine at JP Bank (issued by some small credit union).

Banks are the same all over the world.........
While banks are largely the same, I think Japanese banks take the cake. And that's not counting them seeing me and going into foreigner mode (where everything I do must be some sort of complicated international thing - yesterday I was in Kinko's faxing something and the woman just asks me "which country is this going to?" - I told her it was going to Nagoya).
Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
ATMs at 7/11

So what was your experience like when using ATMs at 7/11 (with foreign credit and debit cards)?
Old Nov 18, 2007, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allset2travel
So what was your experience like when using ATMs at 7/11 (with foreign credit and debit cards)?

No problem for me and many others, Laplap seems to disagree!
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:49 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
Hey hey,

Probably about time I should resurface on this forum. I'm sitting pretty and not able to sleep cos of a damn cold in bright Nagasaki.

In any case, my local Nameshi post office works with my RBS issued Maestro card fine and has done ever since I arrived here at the end of September.

If your bank only offers visa debit and not even Cirrus you might wanna consider changing banks as Maestro(Switch) is a lot more common than visa debit and especially handy if you go to Europe.

Anyways, if you're happening to be in Japan inbetween now and next August I'd be all up for a meet up. In fact....of the people here who would be up for a FT Japan Forum meet up in Japan sometime ? XD. (I'd like to suggest Nagasaki as it rocks XD). Same goes for anyone else here, if you're down my way send me a PM here and we can meet up for a drink

-mrploddy
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:13 am

Barclays Connect Visa Debit card (UK issued) works fine in all the 7/11s we tried.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrploddy
Hey hey,

Probably about time I should resurface on this forum. I'm sitting pretty and not able to sleep cos of a damn cold in bright Nagasaki.

In any case, my local Nameshi post office works with my RBS issued Maestro card fine and has done ever since I arrived here at the end of September.

If your bank only offers visa debit and not even Cirrus you might wanna consider changing banks as Maestro(Switch) is a lot more common than visa debit and especially handy if you go to Europe.

Anyways, if you're happening to be in Japan inbetween now and next August I'd be all up for a meet up. In fact....of the people here who would be up for a FT Japan Forum meet up in Japan sometime ? XD. (I'd like to suggest Nagasaki as it rocks XD). Same goes for anyone else here, if you're down my way send me a PM here and we can meet up for a drink

-mrploddy
Take the ferry across the Ariake sea from Shimabara and we could definately meet up! There is always the Ni Mai/Yon Mai Kippu option on JR Kyushu to Hakata.......
Old Nov 22, 2007, 7:42 am

Programs: United MP - 2P
US Debit Card...

.. worked OK at all Post Office ATMs, even the ones located in department/grocery stores. All other ATMs rejected it, but they were primarily local banks. (I used to use this all the time when rent was due!! )

Visa had no problems anywhere if used this way.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phaleesy
Barclays Connect Visa Debit card (UK issued) works fine in all the 7/11s we tried.
Does it have a Cirrus sign, or any other signs except Visa on it?
Old Nov 22, 2007, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
Does it have a Cirrus sign, or any other signs except Visa on it?
No other signs, except for Visa on the top right end side on the front of the card.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 5:35 am

No problem for me and many others, Laplap seems to disagree!
7/11 huh? Are you blokes trying to be funny?
Old Nov 23, 2007, 5:41 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by valve bouncer
7/11 huh? Are you blokes trying to be funny?
Not sure how to interpret your comment bouncer.
Or are you bothered because people are typing 7/11 rather than 7&i?
Or are you bothered because there are no 7&i stores near you?
Or something else?
Old Nov 23, 2007, 5:46 am

blah.

Last edited by valve bouncer; Nov 23, 2007 at 5:48 am Reason: editically challenged

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.