Wiki Posts
Search

Narita-Tokyo via Heli-Express

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2007, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Narita-Tokyo via Heli-Express

My brother and I will be traveling to Tokyo at the end of November for a quick four night stay. We've done our homework as far as transportation to the hotel on the Limo-bus or NEX goes, however he now wants to consider a splurge at least one-way on the Narita Heli-Express. Other than the basic info online does anyone here have any firsthand experience with them? I assume they arrange a taxi from the heliport to our hotel at an additional cost. Currently we have reservations at both the Park Hyatt and the Prince Park Tower, and either way it looks like a bit of a cab ride after we land. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated!

btw, I'm pushing the Park Hyatt, but my brother likes the location of the PPT...
Old Oct 26, 2007, 8:08 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
The last time we discussed the helicopter in detail was here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=582223&page=2

With the safety briefing and travel from the terminal to the helipad, I estimate that the helicopter trip ends up taking about 50-55 minutes. Time in the air is only 20 mins, but it's total journey time that counts, right?

With this in mind, the helicopter may offer a slight time saving if you're heading to Hamamatsucho (Prince Park Tower). But I hardly think that the time saving will be significant enough to justify a layout of 60,000yen for the two of you.

You should also consider luggage: The helicopter allows one laptop-size bag and one small piece of baggage per person. (Maximum weight 15kg, Maximum size 25cm x 35cm x 45cm). Larger bags must be transported separately.

If you're concerned about travel time to the hotel, I recommend a hotel that is very close to Tokyo station (Four Seasons or Peninsula are deluxe hotels within short dist of Tokyo Stn, The Marunouchi Hotel is also close - and in the same league as Prince Park Tower, I think). The train to Tokyo station takes just one hour. In the "green car" (first class) seats on the N'EX it's a very civilized trip.

Since you're a HH member, you might also be interested in the Conrad. It's on the East side of town - short taxi ride from Tokyo station.

IMHO the area around the Prince Park Tower is not especially interesting. It's pretty convenient for the heliport. Is that the reason your brother favors it? If he wants to do a helicopter tour of Tokyo, it might be better to consider it as a separate gig from the airport journey.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If by going on the helicopter you're hoping for an aerial view of Tokyo...

Take a look at where it will drop you off: TOKYO HELIPORT - NRT is further to the East.

A fast driver can get you to this part of Tokyo from Narita Airport in under 40 minutes. (A couple of Sundays ago it took 1 hour and 4 minutes to get from the West exit of Shinjuku station to Narita Airport in a huge bus, I'd be surprised if helicopter transport would get you to Shinjuku any faster.)

On a weekday expect a taxi to take you from Shinjuku to the heliport in an hour.

If it were my money and I wanted to fly over Tokyo in a helicopter I'd book the sort of tour jib71 suggested. The view on the heliexpress route doesn't seem particularly enticing. YMMV.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Time isn't really the issue...

We both travel quite a bit separately (or with our families) however this the first trip to Tokyo for both of us, and kind of a guys long weekend. That being said, I think my brother was looking at the heli-express as "fun" way to make the trip. Something you don't do every day. Honestly I'm fine with the Limo-bus or the NEX depending on the hotel we decide on. Green car of course!

We are both Hilton Honors and Hyatt Gold Passport members of varying levels, so we are working with that in mind. Additionally, we joined the Prince Club just in case. So really it comes down to 1) location and 2) very nice hotel through virtuoso or FHR. I'm in favor of Shinjuku and the Park Hyatt; he's looking towards Roppongi and hotels in that area. We are also considering the new Peninsula...
Old Oct 26, 2007, 10:24 am

Maybe mjm can tell us why there isn't a heli-service from the roof of the Grand Hyatt to NRT. Probably something to do with the risk of small children getting trapped in the rotor blades.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wolf539
We both travel quite a bit separately (or with our families) however this the first trip to Tokyo for both of us, and kind of a guys long weekend.
I was imagining that what you were actually hoping for was a fabulous sweep over the city (like a helicopter ride across the Las Vegas strip) as a grand 'Hello' to Tokyo or as a majestic 'Goodbye'.

You'll be lucky if you even catch a glimpse of it - the heliport is in the outskirts. Most notable view nearby is Disneyland.

As you don't get much of a view with the helicopter there's not much else to concentrate on apart from the time.

There are SO many things you could spend your money on instead in Tokyo which would give you a way bigger Wow factor. Flying over incineration plants, golf driving ranges and warehouses isn't particularly glamorous.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by jib71
Maybe mjm can tell us why there isn't a heli-service from the roof of the Grand Hyatt to NRT. Probably something to do with the risk of small children getting trapped in the rotor blades.
No heliport on the roof of the GHT. Just a pool for the Presidential Suite. The heliport is on top of the Roppongi Hills tower, but it isn't really used much. I had the luck of going on the roof when it was open to the public, view was stunning. But there is a fear of small children blown off by the winds, so it is now off limits.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
If you're into aerial views, forget the helicopter. Sign up for this:

http://www.japantoday.com/jp/news/420497
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
I was imagining that what you were actually hoping for was a fabulous sweep over the city (like a helicopter ride across the Las Vegas strip) as a grand 'Hello' to Tokyo or as a majestic 'Goodbye'.

There are SO many things you could spend your money on instead in Tokyo which would give you a way bigger Wow factor. Flying over incineration plants, golf driving ranges and warehouses isn't particularly glamorous.
I'm sure glad I asked; message received loud and clear! Thanks! ^
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pickles
If you're into aerial views, forget the helicopter. Sign up for this:

http://www.japantoday.com/jp/news/420497
Now that's something you don't see every day. But I think I'll pass on an $1100. blimp ride!

But if anyone else has any "wow factor" ideas, I'm open to suggestions...
Old Oct 26, 2007, 1:13 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd consider the day trip to Kyoto on the Nozomi/Hikari. Way too short a trip to see Kyoto but still worth considering for a first time visitor with only 4 days in Tokyo.

http://www.japanican.com/sunrisetour...=GMT01TYOOVJK1

On the other hand, if you buy a JR pass, you'll get your transportation to and from Narita included for a little bit less in total and be able to do this trip on your own with more flexibility (it's easy to get to all the places their tour takes you in Kyoto with a day bus pass or a few taxi rides). Only minor limitation is that your trip down will be on Hikari instead of Nozomi.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Oct 26, 2007 at 7:42 pm
Old Oct 26, 2007, 2:34 pm

Ferris wheels

I know it may seem incredibly childish to some, but I'm now a big fan of ferris wheels. Newly initiated after a ride in Osaka - stunning aerial night views. For me, the most thrilling aerial views are always from the seat of a roller coaster or the Viking.

BTW, thought I saw a Zeppelin in the distance when I walked out of the Edo-Tokyo Museum a few weeks back. Would anyone know how many of these are cruising about above Tokyo?

Last edited by phaleesy; Oct 26, 2007 at 2:45 pm Reason: Title
Old Oct 26, 2007, 7:59 pm

Programs: WWMFD
Originally Posted by jib71
I think the service was dropped when RH started construction of the new "Seppuku Slide" on the north side of the roof. See mjm for details.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
The heliport is on top of the Roppongi Hills tower, but it isn't really used much.
That's the one I was thinking of. I also went up there shortly after the building was completed - and I imagined high rollers flying in and out over our heads every day. Seems more like every blue moon.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the idea!

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I'd consider the day trip to Kyoto on the Nozomi/Hikari. Way too short a trip to see Kyoto but still worth considering for a first time visitor with only 4 days in Tokyo.
We may try that on our own...

Quick question; is there any truth to the rumor that you can't use hotel pools if you have visible tattoos on your body? Or is that just the public baths?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.