Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Oakwood

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2007, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
The question posed was what I thought would be a best way to avoid the Tokyo Station transfer,
Yes it was. And you've answered it beautifully! Thanks!
(It's also good to know about the infrequency of the Rinkai line). Getting a seat on the train is actually a concern for me now, alas...

Hopefully the OP can also benefit as it details an alternative route from Maihama to 'central' Tokyo.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k, DL
OK Ladies andd Gents... The Oakwood Roppongi IS infact available for the dates I require. The room is 13650 yen per night. The additional occupant charge is 3150 yen per night. In addition, a futon goes for 1050 yen per night.

All of this equates to 17850 yen per night (apprx 150 US). Does this still seem like a good deal based upon the location?

Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2007, 9:31 am

TripAdvisor reviews are good - Trip advisor
Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Denolloyd
OK Ladies andd Gents... The Oakwood Roppongi IS infact available for the dates I require. The room is 13650 yen per night. The additional occupant charge is 3150 yen per night. In addition, a futon goes for 1050 yen per night.

All of this equates to 17850 yen per night (apprx 150 US). Does this still seem like a good deal based upon the location?

Thanks!
The reason I suggested the Oakwood Shinjuku (which also appears to be available on your nights) is that for about the same price as the Roppongi one you'd get TWO twin/double rooms.

(At least one of you might get lucky.... Hopefully, I don't need to spell it out any further)

Tripadvisor reviews
Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
The reason I suggested the Oakwood Shinjuku (which also appears to be available on your nights) is that for about the same price as the Roppongi one you'd get TWO twin/double rooms.

(At least one of you might get lucky.... Hopefully, I don't need to spell it out any further)

Tripadvisor reviews
Understood! Checking now. BTW, hopefully it will be me ;0)
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Understood! Checking now. BTW, hopefully it will be me ;0)
I realise now that the downside might be finding a twin room with two single beds rather than a double at this property. Which is a twist, as my perpetual problem in Tokyo is finding a double rather than being lumbered with two singles....
Old Aug 8, 2007, 2:11 pm

Programs: CO PLAT, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, NW, AA, UA
Whilst you're on the topic, what's the best way to travel from Shinagawa to Kaihin-Makuhari to avoid ugly connections?
I found this very handy website to minimize connection times (and sometimes expenses)...

http://www.hyperdia.com/

As you can see, 8/25 - 8/30, we do not have a place to stay. The oakwood Roppongi looks really attractive. Great price (14000 yen) and a good location for bars, etc. Should this be ok for a few nights? I have read both good and bad. If not, what about Oakwood Yotsuya or Oakwood Shinjuku?
hey there, i actually stayed at studio rooms at both Oakwoods - Yotsuya and
Shinjuku (both for 2 weeks each). This was a direct bill to my company, and I was told the price was the same for both.

I personally liked the Shinjuku property a little better since it was very close to 24hr food, 24 hr booze, and 24 hour people walking. The room was 24 sq meters (about 250 sq ft). A little small, but ok. The bathroom was very small but the shower size was ok. Shinjuku is about 32 stories, and there's a "lounge" on the 32nd floor for awesome views of the city. There's also a nice fitness center if you're interested -- that was my official reason for moving to Shinjuku! I found that the operations there were being cheap with amenities -- meaning they wouldn't really re-stock with all the amenities like soap, q-tips, towels, detergent, etc. Oh yah, they had 24 hour english speaking staff were after 10, the security guy manned the desk at Yotsuya.
Oh yeah, in case you're interested, the female staff at Shinjuku was better looking IMO.

The Yotsuya area pretty much goes to sleep at around 11pm, so I'd find myself going to other places for nightlife fun. Then having to cab it back home. Shinjuku had many bars I could just hop around to -- so it was good. What I liked about Yotsuya was the room was about 30 sq meters, but seemed a little cramped since the room was narrow. The bathroom wasn't huge, but a little better than Shinjuku...

All in all, seems like your interested in nightlife so I'd recommend Shinjuku... unless of course you can get Roppongi.. Hope this helps! I'll be back in a few months -- can't wait!
Old Aug 8, 2007, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kalman911
I found this very handy website to minimize connection times (and sometimes expenses)...
http://www.hyperdia.com/
Thanks! But I grasped the chance to grill an expert as what hyperdia doesn't tell you about is how to minimise lengthy walks between those connections.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
I found that the operations there were being cheap with amenities -- meaning they wouldn't really re-stock with all the amenities like soap, q-tips, towels, detergent, etc. Oh yah, they had 24 hour english speaking staff were after 10, the security guy manned the desk at Yotsuya.
I had no problems with towels in Roppongi (only having maid service twice a week means you don't get new towels more often than that, but I think there were four of each towel in my room anyway), but no, they don't restock amenities. It was pretty clear from forms they gave me when I checked in that this was the case. They do, however, have them available at rather minimum charge. Part of me wonders why, if you're only going to charge 30 yen for a packet of laundry detergent, you don't just give it to me for free (particularly when my firm is a large corporate client), but I guess they find it pays off for them.

Roppongi also has a security guy on after 10pm, rather than the regular front-desk staff. I didn't find this to be an issue.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 3:57 pm

Programs: CO PLAT, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, NW, AA, UA
Originally Posted by Calcifer
I had no problems with towels in Roppongi (only having maid service twice a week means you don't get new towels more often than that, but I think there were four of each towel in my room anyway), but no, they don't restock amenities.

Roppongi also has a security guy on after 10pm, rather than the regular front-desk staff. I didn't find this to be an issue.

I'm not saying these were major issues with me. Just pointing this out in case they are for the OP'er. The Yotsuya property re-stocked my amenities for me. Overall they seemed to be a bit friendlier...
Old Aug 8, 2007, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
I'm not saying these were major issues with me. Just pointing this out in case they are for the OP'er. The Yotsuya property re-stocked my amenities for me. Overall they seemed to be a bit friendlier...
He'll probably have enough Q-Tips for his 5 day stay.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

I'm all set.

8/23 - 8/24 - Holiday Inn - 60 USD
8/24 - 8/26 - Hilton Tokyo Bay - Free
8/26 - 8/30 - Oakwood Roppongi - 13650 yen
8/30 - 8/31 - Hilton Narita - Free

Now all I need is the JR Pass...

Thanks for all the assistance everyone!
Old Aug 9, 2007, 6:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
Now all I need is the JR Pass...
ALERT ALERT

YOU DON'T NEED ONE.

Unless you plan on wasting an incredible amount of money on one.
If you are just in the Tokyo metropolitan area then paying by single fare tickets is just fine. Get a prepaid card such as the Suica card and pay as you go.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
ALERT ALERT

YOU DON'T NEED ONE.
railroadtycoon knows what he is talking about!
Old Aug 9, 2007, 7:07 pm
mjm
Original Member

And that NEx + Suica deal is a honey. Buy it and then for your one nighter in NRT grab a local train to the HI. Get your self back one stop to the sairport the next day and grab the N'Ex into town. You will then have a very chjeap ay in and a 1500 yen Suica card to start you off.

Mike

railroadtycoon knows what he is talking about!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.