FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-509/)
-   -   Domestic Flight Airport Security (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan/718683-domestic-flight-airport-security.html)

kalman911 Jul 26, 2007 10:09 am

Domestic Flight Airport Security

hi all,
tried to find the answer via search functions, but couldn't find it. Can someone tell me what the security protocols are for internal flights? Someone at the office told me that ID's aren't required? If that's the case, I wanted to leave my passport at safely at home.

I'm planning on carrying on toiletries, so wanted to see if the same conditions as below would apply:

http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/eng/int/...main_c_fr.html

Thanks in advance...

AlexS Jul 26, 2007 8:00 pm

"Security" for domestic Japan flights is very light. I've never needed to show any ID to get on the plane, and you can carry on liquids. I never had a problem with toiletries, but PET bottles (plastic soda/water bottles) need to be removed and they scan them separately.

Alex

railroadtycoon Jul 26, 2007 8:56 pm

Not sure what airport you'll be flying out of but at NRT you'll need some form of ID to get into the airport. Regardless of flying or not, having on yourself a passport or arc at all times is required.

jib71 Jul 26, 2007 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by railroadtycoon (Post 8127031)
Not sure what airport you'll be flying out of but at NRT you'll need some form of ID to get into the airport. Regardless of flying or not, having on yourself a passport or arc at all times is required.

In practice it is possible to board domestic flights while carrying no identification documents. I don't think I've ever been asked for ID at a domestic Japanese airport. These days I pick up my boarding pass at the kiosk and that's the only document anyone looks at.

However... I always have my Alien Registration Card and my drivers license on my person. Every day. Everywhere. I believe I am legally required to carry it even if I'm only walking across the road to the 7-11.

Some Indian friends of mine recently told me that they're getting regularly harrassed near Shinjuku station by cops who demand to see their Alien Registration Cards. There weren't surprised to hear that it never happens to me (a white person), but I was able to tell them that it happened to some white friends of mine in Ueno once...

valve bouncer Jul 27, 2007 5:29 am

I refuse to carry my ARC as a matter of principle. I do however have a Japanese driver's license that I carry. I've never had a problem showing my license in lieu of my ARC. I do live in the inaka though, some coppers here don't even know what an ARC is. I was asked once for my ARC and didn't have it but could tell the copper all my details, he was satisfied but ever so politley reminded me that I do need to carry it at all times.

jib71 Jul 27, 2007 9:41 am

Originally Posted by valve bouncer (Post 8128226)
I refuse to carry my ARC as a matter of principle..

What principle?

valve bouncer Jul 27, 2007 10:11 am

Originally Posted by jib71 (Post 8129405)
What principle?

Japanese people don't have to carry a special card, why should I?

gura Jul 27, 2007 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by valve bouncer (Post 8129624)
Japanese people don't have to carry a special card, why should I?

Just because. ;)
Lack of rationale is a good reason for changing rules, but not always for breaking them.

But..

you can claim "I am Japanese." in such situations, can't you? :p

Back to OP's questions:
- Passport is not necessary for airport check-in, but often a must at hotel check-in for foreign citizens, as in north-america. For this purpose photocopy would work in most situations, but not all.
- Baggage policy remains the same as for international flight ONLY IF in the same itinerary/ticket. Otherwise, domestic rule is more strict.
http://www.ana.co.jp/eng/dms/svc/air...age/index.html
- You may carry on liquids as well, by claming at security.

jib71 Jul 28, 2007 11:38 am

Originally Posted by gura (Post 8130430)
- Passport is not necessary for airport check-in, but often a must at hotel check-in for foreign citizens, as in north-america. For this purpose photocopy would work in most situations, but not all.

Passport is not required for hotel check-in if you are resident in Japan (even if you are a foreign citizen). I have never given my ID at hotel check-in in Japan - sometimes not even a credit card. (Just write my address in Tokyo on the form).

valve bouncer Jul 28, 2007 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by jib71 (Post 8134686)
Passport is not required for hotel check-in if you are resident in Japan (even if you are a foreign citizen). I have never given my ID at hotel check-in in Japan - sometimes not even a credit card. (Just write my address in Tokyo on the form).

Good for you, they never ask Japanese people for ID, nor should they ask foreigners. The oly people you should ever be forced to show your passport/ARC to are the cops, the immigration people and the jokers at the city hall. The rest of them can do something unmentionable to my unmentionables.

valve bouncer Jul 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by gura (Post 8130430)
Just because. ;)
Lack of rationale is a good reason for changing rules, but not always for breaking them.

I pick my battles, ten and a bit years in and my little protest has never caused me any real grief. I'm always ready to go on my little spiel about how retarded the ARC is but the cops don't give a rat's arse as long as I have my Japanese d/l.

abmj-jr Jul 28, 2007 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by valve bouncer (Post 8134899)
... The rest of them can ...

I'm not an angel in this area myself, but is this kind of language really necessary in a family forum?? :(

railroadtycoon Jul 28, 2007 3:01 pm

I'm not debating if I think its right or wrong to have to be required to have a arc or passport on at all times, I'm simply stating that that is what is required.

Back at the topic at hand on airport procedures, I was mentioning NRT because just getting into NRT by Bus or train and car i assume, there are the security checks where everyone regardless of being Japanese or not is checked just to get into the airport. Goes back to the Anti narita airport construction days.

valve bouncer Jul 29, 2007 3:34 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr (Post 8135240)
I'm not an angel in this area myself, but is this kind of language really necessary in a family forum?? :(

Was slightly intoxicated when I wrote that. Edited now.:o

jib71 Jul 29, 2007 9:25 am

Originally Posted by railroadtycoon (Post 8135438)
I'm not debating if I think its right or wrong to have to be required to have a arc or passport on at all times, I'm simply stating that that is what is required.

Back at the topic at hand on airport procedures, I was mentioning NRT because just getting into NRT by Bus or train and car i assume, there are the security checks where everyone regardless of being Japanese or not is checked just to get into the airport. Goes back to the Anti narita airport construction days.

Ah yeah - you're quite right. I had forgotten the entry inspection at NRT because we're talking domestic flights... and I never fly domestic out of NRT.

The only way to legitimately enter NRT without undergoing an ID check is to fly in (from a domestic airport somewhere else in Japan).

The NRT inspection was instigated to protect against protestors against the airport. The NRT goons accept a driver's license in place of a passport or ARC - but they do ask you why you're not showing your passport.