Search

Lonely in Tokyo...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2007, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO PLAT, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, NW, AA, UA
Lonely in Tokyo...

hi all,
Forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong area -- it's been a while since I've posted...

I'm on assignment in Tokyo for a month (got here on 7/9)... It's only been a few days and I'm starting to get a little homesick... My company's put me up in a corporate apartment setting which makes it worse to meet people.... Anyways, if anyone's around in Tokyo and up for meeting up, drop me a line!
Domo Arigato Gozaimasu!
Old Jul 13, 2007, 8:28 am

Programs: WWMFD
Start with this thread (at the end of course):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=635824
Old Jul 15, 2007, 10:41 pm
In memoriam

When I was in Japan a few years ago I saw a listing in one of the free English weeklys for something along the lines of the American Japan Friendship league which met at a pub (was it the Winston Churchill?) in Tokyo. I went and was amazed to discover there were hundreds of Japanese women there who wanted to buy me a beer.

An Aussie explained to me that the ladies wanted to meet a foreigner and get the hell out of Dodge (or, in this case, Japan). It was quite a scene.

Also, on that same visit, I went to an English Speaking coffee house I read about in a guidebook. If you are a native speaker you get free coffee in exchange for chatting with the other patrons. Great way to socialize.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 10:51 pm

Programs: Many
What area of Tokyo is your apartment. There are a number of FTers that either live in Tokyo or come thru fairly frequently, but knowing where you are staying will assist them and others in suggesting options to make your stay more enjoyable. Tokyo is a lot of fun.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 1:09 am

[QUOTE=biggestbopper;8062590]When I was in Japan a few years ago I saw a listing in one of the free English weeklys for something along the lines of the American Japan Friendship league which met at a pub (was it the Winston Churchill?) in Tokyo. I went and was amazed to discover there were hundreds of Japanese ladies

Never heard of this place. With an intro like that Im sure that thousands of FT'ers will show up at the next one

As a very long term Roppongi resident, I would recomend the bar at TGIF, the HUB or the Hobgoblin.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 5:22 am

Programs: UA MP
My best advice would be to go out and do something, especially if you know a decent amount of Japanese. At bars, at coffee shops, at the gym or the pool, people will talk to you (sometimes their English starts and stops at "bye-bye" but other times they've lived abroad for a few years). The worst thing that happens is that you have a few beers or some coffee or work out and talk to the staff / bartender, who are essentially obligated to talk to you (if you talk to them).
Old Jul 16, 2007, 6:14 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
...I went and was amazed to discover there were hundreds of Japanese women there who wanted to buy me a beer.
I keep hearing wonderfully delightful suggestions, like this, but my Tokyo bed is nearly always singly occupied.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 6:52 am

Programs: UA, NW
Just look at the listings of gatherings in the English-language press. Find one that appeals to you. Go to an activity, social, political, religious, ethnic, learning, support, or whatever group.

These groups have so many people coming and going (the one I'm most familiar has a 35% turnover every year) that they tend to be pretty friendly.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

hi all,
first off, thanks for the great advice! The first few days I actually felt like Bill Murray in Lost in Translation. I'm staying at an apartment at Yotsuya (10 minutes from office) but I'm trying to get transferred to the Shinjuku area (20 minutes from office) Would you all recommend this? I'm here for another 3 weeks and obviously want to maximize my experience, both socially and sightseeing-wise.

Are Japanese women very approachable? I'm always a bit hesitant in dealing with different cultures and don't want to come across as a sleazeball. I know it's all about approach but when you don't speak the language, anything can be interpreted......

I actually did manage to hit the TGIF Roppongi and ended up going to 911 with a few Canadians I met at the bar... Very fun night! Saw the sun for the first time in a week and it happened to be after leaving 911!!

By English language press, do you mean Metropolis? I'm hearing a lot about that one... Thanks again.. This is great!

Last edited by kalman911; Jul 16, 2007 at 9:34 pm
Old Jul 16, 2007, 9:58 pm

Programs: Many
From what you've described I may be wrong, but I'm going to guess that you're staying in the Tokyu Stay apartment property..?

If thats true, and if you are locked into staying in their properties, you might want to consider moving to one of their Shibuya locations. I've stayed at their Shin-minamiguchi property for a bit right after it opened, and was satisfied. It takes about 10mins to walk to the main nightlife area of Shibuya from there.

If you have other options and really want to be in Shinjuku or in a couple other of the more lively areas, something like Toyoko Inn might be worth looking into, although for 3 weeks it might get a bit close. It has guest laundry, wired and IIRC wireless internet, decent surroundings, etc.

Tokyu Stay is certainly value for money IMHO, but you have to know what area you are going into. Their Yoga property in, I guess its in Setagaya-ku, and that entire area is quite upscale as I recall.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
For a cautionary tale on how not to go about exploring Tokyo, may I remind y'all of the following timeless classic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341899
Old Jul 16, 2007, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by unagi1
From what you've described I may be wrong, but I'm going to guess that you're staying in the Tokyu Stay apartment property..?
hey unagi,
Thanks for the reply.. I'm actually staying at the Oakwood right across the street from the Tully's coffee on Shinjuku-dori -- about 2 blocks from Yotsuya station... It's not too bad but the amenities are lacking.. It's annoying that I have to go to their Shinjuku branch to use the gym (which is at least about 20 minutes transport time each way). Very annoying....

Also, I was looking for something a little more lively....Yes, I am locked with them for now since the admin here booked me there and there's a large penalty for cancelling... Here are my choices ---

1. Oakwood Residence Akasaka
2. Oakwood Residence Roppongi T-cube
3. Oakwood Apartments Roppongi Central
4. Oakwood Residence Azabujyuban
5. Oakwood Premier Tokyo Midtown
6. Oakwood Apartments Shirokane
7. Oakwood Apartments Shinjuku
8. Oakwood Apartments Yotsuya
9. Oakwood Residence Aoyama

The Roppongi options seem to be very expensive in comparison to Yotsuya so probably not going to happen....
Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:16 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yotsuya station to Shinjuku station is 5 minutes on the JR Chuo line (orange train) so I hardly think it's worth it to change where you are staying to get closer to Shinjuku.

Furthermore, that Oakwood Shinjuku is really closer to Okubo station. To walk from that Oakwood to Shinjuku station would take as long as taking the Chuo line from Yotsuya (the sign out front of that apartment says Shinjuku station is about 630m whereas Okubo is around 350m away).

If I were picking the nicest Oakwood location to be at, I'd pick Azabu Juban in a flash.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by kalman911
hey unagi,
Thanks for the reply.. I'm actually staying at the Oakwood right across the street from the Tully's coffee on Shinjuku-dori -- about 2 blocks from Yotsuya station... It's not too bad but the amenities are lacking.. It's annoying that I have to go to their Shinjuku branch to use the gym (which is at least about 20 minutes transport time each way). Very annoying....

Also, I was looking for something a little more lively....Yes, I am locked with them for now since the admin here booked me there and there's a large penalty for cancelling... Here are my choices ---

1. Oakwood Residence Akasaka
2. Oakwood Residence Roppongi T-cube
3. Oakwood Apartments Roppongi Central
4. Oakwood Residence Azabujyuban
5. Oakwood Premier Tokyo Midtown
6. Oakwood Apartments Shirokane
7. Oakwood Apartments Shinjuku
8. Oakwood Apartments Yotsuya
9. Oakwood Residence Aoyama

The Roppongi options seem to be very expensive in comparison to Yotsuya so probably not going to happen....
Ar, lah, you're spoiled for choice. I'd move to the Azabu Juban, Midtown, or Aoyama ones in a flash, commute time be damned. From the Aoyama one there is a bus stop right outside that takes you to Sendagaya.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:30 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
Ar, lah, you're spoiled for choice. I'd move to the Azabu Juban, Midtown, or Aoyama ones in a flash, commute time be damned. From the Aoyama one there is a bus stop right outside that takes you to Sendagaya.
Hey, I got my flash in ahead of your flash! And I still think the Azabu Juban one is a nicer location, but the few times we've used it, it had to be booked several weeks in advance to get availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.