Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japanese Attitudes to Delays

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2007, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Japanese Attitudes to Delays

I was coming back from SFO yesterday and I'm guessing the trade winds were lighter than usual. The arriving aircraft was about an hour late getting in, and when I checked in, they said we would be leaving SFO a half hour late but getting to NRT a half hour early.

When the aircraft finally arrived, they had to check a problem with the PA system, and kept saying we'd be boarding in 15 minutes. Ultimately, we wound up leaving about an hour late (maybe more--I'm not 100% sure), but getting in pretty much on time. As far as delays in air travel are considered, basically a non-event.

As we were boarding it was (as you would expect) all bowing and a lot of "moshiwake arimasen" but when I finally got the ticket scanner the guy behind me, in one of the *strongest* voices I've heard used in Japan says to the gate agent "Hontoni warui desu."

My Japanese friend and I turned to each other with looks of complete shock--not believing what we just heard. I almost reached for my phone to call 911 just in case...

Is this common or just someone having a bad day? She's Japanese and had never heard anything like this before, but doesn't travel (by plane) all that much. I've never heard a Japanese person complain before, much less like that...I wouldn't have really even expected a gaijin to kvetch much in a situation like this....

Anyway, just thought this was kind of surprising, and was curious to know what those of you who have been living here longer, and traveling from here more often than I do think.

Alex
Old Mar 5, 2007, 8:53 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Maybe this is one of those "you had to be there" moments, but it doesn't really seem all that bad to me. He just said "this is pretty bad" or "really bad." Sort of like "this is unacceptable!" Not nearly so rude or forceful as many things you hear English-speakers say in the case of an hour+ delay in departure. I don't see any need for 911 but, as I said, maybe you had to be there.

JR
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:20 am

Programs: UA (former CO), TrueBlue, Etc.
Maybe that traveller was having a bad day (or maybe it was a Japanese-American)?

That's kind of rude, but not really out there - when I was working there with a law firm, I definitely heard the managing parter say things that were way ruder to people under him. He was nice, but I was also pretty much a lawyer. Same level!
Heh.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by AlexS
My Japanese friend and I turned to each other with looks of complete shock--not believing what we just heard. I almost reached for my phone to call 911 just in case...

Is this common or just someone having a bad day? She's Japanese and had never heard anything like this before, but doesn't travel (by plane) all that much. I've never heard a Japanese person complain before, much less like that...I wouldn't have really even expected a gaijin to kvetch much in a situation like this....
OP - perhaps you're reading too much into the psyche and norms of the Japanese people - trust me - they are just like people everywhere else. The notion that they don't complain, never raise their voices, are always gracious etc etc is more a stereotype than anything else.

IME during the time I worked and lived in Japan, Japanese customers, when displeased, were not shy to show it. One of the reasons why there is a perception that this is less common behavior is that typical Japanese customer service is a tad obsequious, therefore an irate customer is usually placated well before they start shouting.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA (former CO), TrueBlue, Etc.
I'd have to concur with tide - I would watch how Japanese men would show displeasure at stores, and if I mimicked their behavior, you could see the reaction from the salespeople even if I never said anything.

Of course, I also speak Osaka-ben in normal/angry speech and Kyoto-ben when I'm much more polite, so...maybe they just thought I was going to start bargaining if they weren't nicer! hah.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 2:33 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Culturally the Japanese tend to just endure. If it is really bad service, they NEVER USE THE AIRLINES / COMPANY AGAIN. Tell their children never to use the company and their friends. Bosses tell staff not to use them again.

However these days, things have changed. Call it North American influence or whatever but they are starting to complain more and more. Demand compensation, price reduction etc.

Times are changing.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:34 pm

Anyone who thinks the Japanses are mild, meek and polite has obviously never stood between an old lady and the last 50 yen daikon at the supermarket.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:47 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Maybe he was talking about JLor AA in general.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:48 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by valve bouncer
Anyone who thinks the Japanses are mild, meek and polite has obviously never stood between an old lady and the last 50 yen daikon at the supermarket.
Or the last seat on the bus.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talking

So there I was standing at the front of the line waiting for the Ariake Express at Hakata. All of a sudden a trio of garish "obahans" pull up in front of me. When I point out to the trio that the line forms behind me(and the half dozen of so other Japanese waiting) they abuse me in English that they were there first. I made a comment that they must be from Osaka to have such horrid manners, much to the delight of the other folks in line.......After of few minutes the others in line started to call out the Obahans to move to the back of the line. They didn't budge!
Old Mar 5, 2007, 11:35 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
japanese

my friend worked for a japanese mobile phone company and told me that european mobilephone provider etc. had probems getting into japan not only because of the CDMA net that time, but the main reason was that the japanese customers are the most complaining ones regarding quality issues in the world.

i have been on ANA F last time, not enough meals loaded ( japanese meals) the guy next to me had ordered before me and didnt get a japanese meal. i had chosen a western meal.

anyway, FA told him and others that there were no more meals available, and well there were 5 guys jelling at her and the other FAs.

foreign people will never understand what japanese really are.
just take "Ijime" at school etc. kids commit suecide because of this etc.

japanese people are friendly , and you think they are nice, but in behind of you they might be saying "UZAI , KIMOI" ETC. or at least thinking, its not all of them but you might be surprised one day you find out...

dp
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:51 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Speaking more generally (and at the risk of going OT), Japanese people handle their anger in VERY different ways from Americans. (I will compare Japanese to Americans, since I am American but have lived in Japan for 11 years.) Believe me, they get just as angry as Americans. But often the anger is not as out in the open. Where two American office workers might have a loud argument in the office, Japanese people will tend to engage in more back-stabbing and bad-mouthing to others. They will often avoid direct confrontation out in the open, but then behind closed doors they will complain and b*tch and moan for hours and hours.

And maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that Japanese people are not as forgiving and not as good at making up as Americans are. Once two Japanese people decide they don't like each other, they will hate each other forever.

But getting back to the topic about Japanese peoples' tolerance for delays. I was once on a Narita Express train which arrived 30-40 minutes late. One irate "ojisan" (middle aged Japanese man) was demanding a refund of three times the train fare.

Also, I once sparked a major shouting match at a subway station. I was standing in line on a platform, and a guy brazenly cut in front of the whole line. I gently suggested to him that he go to the back of the line, and he cheerfully refused. This triggered a huge outburst from another ojisan in line who then proceeded to rip this guy a new ***hole in very loud, very angry Japanese. I admit it was quite satisfying, as I was also outraged by the line-cutter but didn't have the guts to chastise him further.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:09 am

I always have a quiet moment of glee when some pushy old bag pushes in as I'm getting served and the server either ignores her entirely and continues serving me or points to the back of the line. Often though the pusher-in will get served. :sigh:
If you're one of those people who hate waiting around in lines, then maybe Japan is not for you.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:44 am

I'll second the comment about waiting in line. I've gotten the feeling that the entire country is set up like a giant DMV. For instance, getting exchange orders converted to a JR Pass usually involves a long line and three to four people behind the desk stamping, writing and bowing for 10 minutes. There just seems like there are a lot of area of japanese life that seem to revolve around waiting in some sort of line.

As far as the Japanese chewing people out, my impression from Japanese TV is that there is a stereotype of certain class of people are expected to command respect and make a loud fuss. A business executive, a high ranking gov't official, etc. However, as most of my Japanese travel is as a tourist, I'll never see it firsthand.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:47 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
If you're one of those people who hate waiting around in lines, then maybe Japan is not for you.
Nope. China would be more up your alley then. Just make sure to bring your own air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.