FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-509/)
-   -   Chinese Visa Service (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan/661713-chinese-visa-service.html)

AlexS Feb 17, 2007 6:30 pm

Chinese Visa Service

Does anyone have any recommendations for a visa service in the Tokyo area for getting a Chinese tourist visa?

From what I read, it doesn't sound like they're particularly difficult to get, but the Chinese embassy is quite far from my office, and I'm trying to avoid a taking an afternoon off to go get it.

Also, I'm really excited--I got a free ticket to Beijing. Since they only seem to sell Y tickets on that route that's a yield of $0.07/mile!

Thanks,

Alex

jib71 Feb 17, 2007 7:26 pm

Nimnak Travel
http://www.nimnak.com/special.html

AlexS Feb 17, 2007 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by jib71 (Post 7243556)

Thanks! I'll give them a call on Monday, but do you have any idea what they charge for this?

Thanks,

Alex

jib71 Feb 17, 2007 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by AlexS (Post 7243784)
do you have any idea what they charge for this?

Sorry, I can't remember what they quoted me. I think it was 10,000yen or so plus the fees payable to the Chinese embassy. (But I may be wrong - call them and check).

The price will also depend on where your office is. (Someone from their office in Yotsuya will visit you, then that person takes all of the necessary documents to the embassy, then goes back to the embassy to pick up the passport and visa and then brings the passport back to you). The process takes about one week. If you want "express" service, it costs more.

I went to the Chinese embassy myself, which was a bore. Two trips required.

Pickles Feb 17, 2007 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by jib71 (Post 7243977)
Sorry, I can't remember what they quoted me. I think it was 10,000yen or so plus the fees payable to the Chinese embassy. (But I may be wrong - call them and check).

The price will also depend on where your office is. (Someone from their office in Yotsuya will visit you, then that person takes all of the necessary documents to the embassy, then goes back to the embassy to pick up the passport and visa and then brings the passport back to you). The process takes about one week. If you want "express" service, it costs more.

I went to the Chinese embassy myself, which was a bore. Two trips required.

10,000 yen? one week?

Gotta love it when the Chinese penchant for bureaucracy finds a natural home in the Japanese love for stamps and paperwork. In HKG, the express service costs about 20 USD, and it is truly express. Turn in your passport before 9:00 AM, get your visa back by lunchtime.

ewj Feb 17, 2007 11:26 pm

Why do you not go to the China Embassy, yourself? Many people speak English and it will cost you time ( they do not believe in organized lines) but save you money. They also take USD and EUR.

Processing time, the basic requirements, fees and telephone advice

受 理 时 间By the time between

* 周一至周五上午9:00--12:00 (中国及日本节假日休息)9:00--12:00 from Monday to Friday (closed on holidays in China and Japan)

取 件 时 间Pick-up time

* 周一至周五上午9:00--12:00 (中国及日本节假日休息)9:00--12:00 from Monday to Friday (closed on holidays in China and Japan)
* 普通、加急Common and urgent
o 签证、公证认证、旅行证等手续:普通件申请为4个工作日取,加急件申请为2个工作日取Visa , notarized certification procedures : general applications, such as a travel permit to take four days, two working days plus a hurry to apply for admission
o 护照手续:普通件申请为11个工作日取,加急件申请为6个工作日取Passport formalities : general applications, to take 11 working days, plus six days to take urgent application

United States 18000 yen

Advisory telephone
03-3403-3065 (护照签证及公证认证人工咨询) 03-3403-3065 (passport and visa notarized certification artificial Advisory)

03-3403-0924 (下午 护照签证咨询) 03-3403-5633(下午 公证认证咨询) 03-3403-3064 (领侨保护) 03-3403-0924 (1 passport, visa) 03-3403 -5633 (notarized certification from the Advisory) 03-3403-3064 (Bao Chinese leaders Guarding)

Call the info desk to make sure someone who speaks English (if you do not know Chinesse or Japanese will be on duty). Get there early there is usually a line.

Up to list

railroadtycoon Feb 17, 2007 11:36 pm

Why do you not go to the China Embassy, yourself? Many people speak English and it will cost you time ( they do not believe in organized lines) but save you money. They also take USD and EUR.
Because the OP stated he works a bit away from the Embassy and would like to avoid taking time off to go there and get it done.

AlexS Feb 17, 2007 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by ewj (Post 7244313)
Why do you not go to the China Embassy, yourself?

I wouldn't mind going to the embassy, but the problem is my office is out past Tachikawa, so I'm at least an hour each way to the Embassy. Two trips, and I'm already up to 4 hours not counting any waiting time. I'd gladly go myself if they were open on a weekend, but I'd prefer to save my vacation days to use them when I'm in China :D

And yeah, Y10,000 is crazy. I'll keep looking and see if I can find anyone cheaper. Although, I'm not sure it's necessarily prudent to find the cheapest person you can, and then give them your passport. Then again this is Japan!

Alex

jib71 Feb 18, 2007 12:02 am

I wish I hadn't written my guesstimate of Y10,000.

I simply recall that it was expensive enough that I just decided to do it myself... and that turned out to be enough of a drag that I wished I'd paid someone else to do it for me.

Call Nimnak and ask them for a quotation. The phone call will cost you something between Y10 and Y50.

jib71 Feb 18, 2007 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Pickles (Post 7244258)
In HKG, the express service costs about 20 USD, and it is truly express. Turn in your passport before 9:00 AM, get your visa back by lunchtime.

HKG has had this special capability for quite a long time. Back in the '90s I lived out in the boondocks West of Tokyo and used to travel to Guanzhou a few times a year. It usually made sense to stop for a half day in HKG on the way there rather than going in and out of Tokyo twice to join the lines at the Chinese embassy.

Back then, Japanese citizens also needed to apply for a visa - so the situation at the Chinese embassy was even more chaotic than it is today. *(Actually I'm not sure if you could go to the embassy back then. IIRC you had to use an agent).

AlexS Feb 18, 2007 12:25 am

Originally Posted by jib71 (Post 7244481)
Call Nimnak and ask them for a quotation. The phone call will cost you something between Y10 and Y50.

I'll call from the office :D

hamburgler Feb 18, 2007 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Pickles (Post 7244258)
Gotta love it when the Chinese penchant for bureaucracy finds a natural home in the Japanese love for stamps and paperwork. In HKG, the express service costs about 20 USD, and it is truly express. Turn in your passport before 9:00 AM, get your visa back by lunchtime.

How long are the tourist visas valid for after issuance? I'm going to be in HKG in March and this seems like a great way to get a visa for the next year or so without having to deal with the Tokyo hassles. (I'm probably looking for something like a double-entry tourist; I may also need one for work but of course they'd deal with all the details on that from here).

Pickles Feb 18, 2007 7:59 am

Originally Posted by hamburgler (Post 7245291)
How long are the tourist visas valid for after issuance? I'm going to be in HKG in March and this seems like a great way to get a visa for the next year or so without having to deal with the Tokyo hassles. (I'm probably looking for something like a double-entry tourist; I may also need one for work but of course they'd deal with all the details on that from here).

Default in Tokyo is I believe single entry, good for 30 (or 90?) days from issuance. You want a double entry, you'll need letters and other crapola. Best to get it in HKG, 6 months multiple entry is the default.

jib71 Feb 18, 2007 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles (Post 7245538)
Default in Tokyo is I believe single entry, good for 30 (or 90?) days from issuance. You want a double entry, you'll need letters and other crapola. Best to get it in HKG, 6 months multiple entry is the default.

My last visa (issued by the Chinese embassy in Tokyo) was -
Issued on Oct 10, 2006
Single entry
Valid for entry before Jan 10, 2007
For a duration of 30 days

This was the basic single-entry visa available for a UK passport holder. The terms will be different for other nationalities.

Not sure if you can get a visa for a trip one year before the event... But if Hamburgler is going to HKG, then it makes sense to try when there. The worst that could happen is that they can't do it and tell you to apply for a visa several months later in Tokyo.

JKD Feb 19, 2007 2:47 pm

one-year multiple entry business visa

our company uses JTB for all corporate travel; IIRC, they were able to get a one-year, multiple entry business visa with nothing more than the application and a couple of photos (plus a bit of money :p ) ..... we have mfg locations in China, so not sure if that was a factor or not ...... I need to get another visa next week, so I'll try to remember to post the requirements ......