Bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: Dirt
The JR Central's English site is missing information on Tokaido Shinkansen green car surcharge. I had to look at the JR Central's schedule search and Hyperdia for the fare.

The Tokyo-Kyoto one way non-discount ticket prices are:

On Nozomi:
Base fare: 7980
Green Seat: +10180
Regular Reserved Seat: +5540
Regular Non-reserved Seat: +4730

On Hikari or Kodama:
Base Fare: 7980
Green Seat: +9880
Regular Reserved Seat: +5240
Regular Non-reserved Seat: +4730

Add the base fare and seat surcharge together to get the ticket price. For example, on Hikari it would cost 17860 yen for a green seat and 13220 yen for a regular reserved seat.

There's also a 200 yen surcharge for peak and 200 yen discount for off-peak travel.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
What is the one-way Green Car surcharge between Tokyo and Kyoto?

I've searched JR Central's website high and low without success. In several places it indicates that a Green Car surchage is required (of course!) or may be applicable, but I can't figure out what the heck the surcharge is.
If you have to ask ...
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:52 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

deleted, already answered
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:30 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I wonder how many of us jumped on Hyperdia to get this info only to be beaten to the punch - err post.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 6:06 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by jib71
If you have to ask ...
Don't be a wiseacre. We're not talking about maintaining a Ferrari here.

Thanks to mrb0b for the detailed information. Thanks also to the others who tried to help.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:22 am

I'm working on booking my first trip to Japan next April for my wife and I and I'm trying to figure out what our best option is for transportation in and around Japan. Our current itinerary will have us flying in and out of NRT, being in Tokyo for 4 days and Kyoto for 3 days. I know we'll have to take the Shinkansen back and forth between Tokyo and Kyoto so I was thinking about getting the JR East Pass for both of us. Can that pass also be used on the trains in Tokyo and Kyoto?

Thanks,

Rob
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: Dirt
JR East Pass is not valid on the Tokaido Shinkansen that runs between Tokyo and Osaka via Nagoya and Kyoto. JR Central owns and operates that line.

You are better off getting a Japan Rail Pass that is valid on all JR companies.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:32 pm

So it sounds like the Japan Rail Pass is what I would want. Will this pass also work on trains in and around Tokyo (I think I read somewhere that it will not work in Kyoto)? If so then I think that'll work best for my to and from NRT and to-and-from Tokyo <-> Kyoto.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
The JR pass will work on any JR local train nationwide. The issue is that not all trains are JR trains. The JR network in Tokyo is quite extensive, although it excludes the subways and private rail lines. But the Tokyo subways are cheap enough that it's probably not worth avoiding them and take a less convenient route just to use your JR Pass. To get around within Kyoto, JR doesn't really have lines that serve that purpose: you need to use the subway or other non-JR lines. But if you do a day trip to Nara or Osaka, then the JR pass will work for that. Also, if you time your pass right, it can take care of one of your Tokyo-Narita trips on the N'EX. Your situation - Tokyo-Kyoto - is the classic "break-even" point for the 7-day JR pass. So, you probably won't go too wrong either way.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Yes, as previously said get the JR pass if you're doing a Tokyo - Kyoto r/t. You'll have to get it before entering Japan. Once you arrive I'd suggest you also pick up a Suica card. Suica is a rechargeable card which will get you on pretty much all subways & trains. It's just a lot easier to use than to figure out the different lines and rates within Tokyo. You can also use it at train kiosks and some convenience stores for snacks if you need to use up the value.

Of course use the JR pass wherever possible, primarily to get tickets on shinkansen to Kyoto and flash it to the gate guard when leaving Yamanote line within Tokyo.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA, NW
It's worth emphasizing the Suica card is useful on subways and private railroads ONLY in the Tokyo area and that it is a debit card, not a pass.

It is usable ONLY on JR trains outside of the Tokyo area, so you don't need to use it outside the Tokyo area if you have a JR Pass.

You have to buy the voucher for the pass before going to Japan and then you exchange your voucher after arrival. The first day you use it counts as Day 1, so if you get a 7-day pass on the first of the month, it's good until the end of the seventh of the month. You don't have to validate your pass immediately upon arrival; you can do that at any of Tokyo's major train stations.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by ksandness
The first day you use it counts as Day 1, so if you get a 7-day pass on the first of the month, it's good until the end of the seventh of the month. You don't have to validate your pass immediately upon arrival; you can do that at any of Tokyo's major train stations.
You also don't have to validate to start on the day of exchange. For example, you could turn in the exchange order upon your arrival at Narita, but post-date the start date to be 6 days prior to your departing flight. This will allow you to make your bullet train reservations to and from Kyoto, as well as your return trip to Narita via the N'EX, immediately upon arrival and not have to worry about them. The same JR counter at the airport will also sell you a one-way Suica-N'EX combination card for your trip into town that day.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: QF Silver
Originally Posted by ksandness
It's worth emphasizing the Suica card is useful on subways and private railroads ONLY in the Tokyo area and that it is a debit card, not a pass.

It is usable ONLY on JR trains outside of the Tokyo area, so you don't need to use it outside the Tokyo area if you have a JR Pass.
I may be wrong, but am quite sure that Suica can be used on JR trains inside the greater Tokyo area too including Yamanote & NRT/NEX. It's issued by JR East & as stated above is honored by JR trains in Sapporo, Osaka, Hiroshima, Nagoya and other areas served by JR East (excluding Shinkansen).

Suica can also be quite handy if the JR pass doesn't cover your entire visit. To maximize the value of the JR Pass you want to activate it to cover the days of most expensive travel especially including Tokyo > Kyoto & return. Use Suica to fill in the gap days.

*** Sorry, on my original reading of your comment I interpreted it to mean that Suica could ONLY be used on private subways & railroads and not JR lines. Second read is clearer.

Last edited by Zarf4; Oct 4, 2012 at 3:39 pm Reason: Added clarification
Old Oct 3, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
If you only do Tokyo - Kyoto and no other long distance train trips, consider the bullet train + hotel pack instead

18400 return plus 1 night hotel vs 28300 JR pass. You can buy package with more hotel nights, or find your own hotel and come back to Tokyo in a non-reserved seat.

http://www.japanican.com/special/shinkansen/

Last edited by beep88; Oct 3, 2012 at 2:25 pm
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by Zarf4
I may be wrong, but am quite sure that Suica can be used on JR trains inside the greater Tokyo area too including Yamanote & NRT/NEX. It's issued by JR East & as stated above is honored by JR trains in Sapporo, Osaka, Hiroshima, Nagoya and other areas served by JR East (excluding Shinkansen).
Suica can be used on JR trains but not on other trains. In Osaka it's pretty useless, especially as a ton of people just go to kinken shops and buy tickets there if they're using JR once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.