Japanese Recommended Sushi Restaurants Outside Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japanese Recommended Sushi Restaurants Outside Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2006, 6:08 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Ah, suddenly remembered reading about a Michelin starred Japanese restaurant in a small Irish village. Not sure how well they do sushi though.

http://www.cork-guide.ie/sheepshead/shiro.html
Old Jul 5, 2006, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why look any further!

http://www.sushi.infogate.de/
Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:57 am

Programs: UAL, AA, USAIR
I once ate (reluctantly)

at a Japanese restaurant in Hailey, Idaho. They were very proud of their sushi; well of course, being right next to the ocean and all ..........

FWIW, I read recently that a lot of Chinese restaurants in the US are adding Japanese items to their menus or changing over entirely because the profit margin is higher.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:01 am

Programs: UAL, AA, USAIR
Have you tried

Originally Posted by pod
I'll second that one. Used to be my favorite, though Sushi Tenn on Sawtelle has just taken that honor away for me.
the per-plate place on Sawtelle next to Quiznos? It's always busy, cash only, I'm leery.

And don't let's forget the most popular sushi joint on LA's Westside, based on the line covering the sidewalk anyway, Krazy Fish on Olympic at Doheny.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 3:56 pm

Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects
Sen Zushi in Victoria, BC. No fancy rolls - just basic, excellent Japanese food at good prices. Tuna sashimi that melts in your mouth.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
San Francisco

Hama-ko Sushi
108B Carl Street (near intersection with Cole Street)
San Francisco

This is by far the best sushi I have had outside of Japan. They go to the fish market on the peninsula to choose their fish and only buy/serve it if it meets their high standards. Consistently outstanding experience. I'll be eating there tonight.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Koenji
Hama-ko Sushi
108B Carl Street (near intersection with Cole Street)
San Francisco

This is by far the best sushi I have had outside of Japan. They go to the fish market on the peninsula to choose their fish and only buy/serve it if it meets their high standards. Consistently outstanding experience. I'll be eating there tonight.
This is pretty close to where I live! You might see me there tonight as well . . .
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rjque
This is pretty close to where I live! You might see me there tonight as well . . .
Did you make it? If you haven't gone yet, I just wanted to warn you not to order any sort of "rolls." Just go for the nigiri sushi standards. Ask for salmon, hamachi, uni and ankimo and you will not be disappointed.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 9:01 pm
pod

Programs: UA 1K (MM)
Originally Posted by phred
the per-plate place on Sawtelle next to Quiznos? It's always busy, cash only, I'm leery.

And don't let's forget the most popular sushi joint on LA's Westside, based on the line covering the sidewalk anyway, Krazy Fish on Olympic at Doheny.
No, never a line, not near Quiznos, and they take credit cards. Its tops for LA. Check it out. As for Crazy Fish, lived on for a while until the health department gave it a "D".
Old Jul 17, 2006, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy

One of this sites top picks is Honmura An in New York. I completely agree. They are a soba restaurant. They serve sushi and sashimi as well as other small dishes as first courses and then you typically finish with a noodle dish. Owned by a Japanese gentlemen whose family owns two soba restaurants in Tokyo. The best uni and sweet shrimp I have had outside of Tokyo. Also excellent toro and hamachi on most nights. Overall my favorite restaurant of any type in NY.

My second favorite place for sushi in NY is Jewel Bako which got one Michelin star.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Koenji
Did you make it? If you haven't gone yet, I just wanted to warn you not to order any sort of "rolls." Just go for the nigiri sushi standards. Ask for salmon, hamachi, uni and ankimo and you will not be disappointed.
I didn't make it yet but plan to check it out soon. Don't worry: I only order rolls at bad sushi places.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

London

Not a sushi place.

But somewhere to get rice and soup.

http://www.tsutaya.co.uk/tsutayashop.html

Just discovered the place and I'm in love!

Small donburis with perfectly made rice with toppings that change everyday (they only serve one variety a day) - £3.50

Served with a mouthwatering miso soup (also changes daily) £1.50

As a set, the takeaway lunch deal is £4.20

The lovely ladies who served me were a real joy - and the plant filled premises is incredibly welcoming (and kind of like stepping into Japan).

I'm currently beaming with happiness at having found this place (I've just started working in the area)

Address: 61 Great Titchfield Street, London, 020 7580 7161

(Sample menu - 21-25 August)
21 Teriaki chicken rice + carrot+onion+egg soup
22 Chilli Prawn rice + potato + onion miso soup
23 Stewed beef rice + wakame + onion miso soup
24 Salmon & mushroom rice + pumpkin + onion miso soup
25 Pork & cabbage oyster sauce rice + chinese cabbage + carrot + egg soup.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:03 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, CX Gold
London

My number one favourite when it comes to quality and price is Saki in Smithfield market - it has a small doorway and very easy to miss but is directly opposite
Smith of Smithfields (a huge mega-sized bistro bar - and therefore not easy to miss )

A great atmosphere and a very nice looking dining room.

The funny thing is, so I heard, (or at least was when I was back in London in the Spring - I went 5 times in 4 weeks and consistently good) the sushi-chef is, shall we say, very keen, that there are not more diners than he can give 100% to - so whenever I went probably only 30% of the tables were occupied for this reason. If you phone up to make a reservation they would always say "sorry we are full until 9pm".

One night, wanting to take some friends to this new great restaurant we killed 90 minutes in the local bars trying to stifle our hunger and turned up at
8.45 (for a 9pm) booking to find only three tables occupied....."oh, everybody must have just left"....

Service was fantastic as well.

So, I would suggest if they are still following this policy and you want to eat at 7 and they say only 9pm is available - then just turn up anyway.

Maybe this is all different now that all the main reviews have been done and hopefully they have more kitchen staff in.

The couple of reviews I saw were excellent - and food was top rate - and came in at about £40 a-head. I always expect to pay £30.00 ahead minimum for (very average) Japanese food in London - so this was, for me, a great find.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 1:37 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Philadelphia

Philadelphia

Morimoto Restaurant with the Iron Chef Morimoto is easily the best Japanese Restaurant I've been to outside Japan. It is expensive though.
Real Japanese say this is cutting edge.

http://www.morimotorestaurant.com/
Old Aug 18, 2006, 1:44 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Vancouver

Vancouver

In Vancouver, Hidekazu Tojo's Japanese restaurant. I took an entourage from Japan to this resturant and they all mentioned that the resturant is superb. Comparable to better restaurants in Japan even. The "omakasa" is the best. Very expensive however.

http://www.tojos.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.