Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

New immigration policies: Japan to fingerprint and photograph visitors (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New immigration policies: Japan to fingerprint and photograph visitors (merged)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2006, 6:48 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by LapLap
I'll need to go through all this BS every time I go back to see my father-in-law and obaasan - whilst MrLapLap sails through the other queue. And what I'm really going to look forward to is dealing with our kids, all by myself, when they're grumpy and fatigued after a 12 hour flight, as these offspring of my Japanese husband will also be regarded as aliens, no matter where they're born.
If either parent is Japanese, my understanding is that the children also qualify for Japanese citizenship. They would just have to choose which citizenship they wished to keep by age 20, IIRC, since Japan doesn't (technically) allow dual citizenship.

Edit: It is actually age 22. See below.

1. If one parent is a Japanese citizen and one parent is a non-Japanese
citizen, then the child is a Japanese citizen, but must choose by age 22
whether to keep Japanese citizenship or the other citizenship. The child's
choice is recognized legally by Japan. The child's choice might or might
not be recognized by the other country, so the child might choose Japan and
still be a dual citizen when in the other country or maybe third countries.
Until recently, this was the rule only if the father was the Japanese
citizen -- if the mother was the Japanese citizen, the child might become
stateless as a result. But the law no longer discriminates by parent's sex.

Note: For a child born overseas, the child MUST be entered in the family
registry of the Japanese parent, technically withing 30 days of the child's
birth. This can be done at the nearest Japanese embassy.
Old May 20, 2006, 8:08 am

I wonder how this is going to work when I take my legally dual citizen kids back home to visit the olds without the missus. Arriving back in Japan will they have to go through the foreigners line with me? That'd be nice, my kids being treated like foreigners in their own country. This sucks on so many levels. I wonder if it's worth going to see my local MP to register a protest, as useless a gesture as that will probably be.
Old May 20, 2006, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Scifience
If either parent is Japanese, my understanding is that the children also qualify for Japanese citizenship. They would just have to choose which citizenship they wished to keep by age 20, IIRC, since Japan doesn't (technically) allow dual citizenship.

On what basis did ex-Peruvian President (and fugitive from Peru for quite some time) Fujimori get and retain Japanese citizenship? On the basis of grandparents?
Old May 20, 2006, 3:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujimori#In_exile
Old May 21, 2006, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you! I'm delighted to be shown that my understanding of this is way out of date (opinion was formed by experiences of friends some time ago).

The upside to all this might be a nice relaxing hour to myself in the immigration queue whilst husband and offspring collect the suitcases (possibly laden with all the dodgy terrorist equipment I packed in there) and wait for me past customs.

I'm sure the fingerprinting and photographing of foreign spouses will be extremely effective in preventing crime.
Old May 21, 2006, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Exclamation We must rally the disparate diaspora!

Well I guess I just will have to get off my butt and start the process, any ideas? I thought a simple multi lingual web site to rally the disparate diaspora! I also thought of throwing stink bombs at my local councellors house.
Old May 21, 2006, 8:03 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Well I guess I just will have to get off my butt and start the process, any ideas? I thought a simple multi lingual web site to rally the disparate diaspora! I also thought of throwing stink bombs at my local councellors house.
You might want to contact this guy: Arudou Debito
http://www.debito.org/

He is a naturalized Japanese citizen who does a lot of work to try and end discrimination against foreigners in Japan. IIRC, he has met in the past with a number of fairly high-level officials in the Japanese government.

Talking to your local MP (provided your Japanese is good enough) also can't hurt.

Good luck! It is absurd that they are doing this to people with a gaijin card - the tourists, I have no problem with.
Old May 21, 2006, 8:35 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Pickles
That's no different anywhere else, including the US. Foreigners don't vote.
Not anywhere else. My mother has voted in elections in the UK, as a resident of the UK, despite not being British .

I may be wrong - but I think there are other examples - probably mostly within the EU. (And I know that any EU national can stand as a candidate for election to the European parliament in any EU member country).

I think it would be quite a good experience for the Japanese diet to see some foreign residents get some representation in return for the taxes they pay. There has been talk of allowing "permanent residents" in Japan the right to vote in Japanese elections. (And IIRC perhaps there was one example of a city that allowed this for some local elections?) But I think this is very unlikely to happen at a national level...

Last edited by jib71; May 21, 2006 at 8:43 am
Old May 21, 2006, 8:51 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
You might want to contact this guy: Arudou Debito
My guess would be that he already knows. He wrote about the possibility of this bill becoming law a few months ago.
Old May 21, 2006, 9:28 am

When will they start doing this?

On a totally different note, immigration at NRT was already horribly long during peak times on flights from the US. Now, it is only going to become longer.
Old May 21, 2006, 9:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
There should be another piece of legisitation stating when the program will be implemented (to my understanding), as mentioned according to USAToday it should be in place by Late 2007.
Old May 21, 2006, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by aa4ever
When will they start doing this?

On a totally different note, immigration at NRT was already horribly long during peak times on flights from the US. Now, it is only going to become longer.
And to top it all off, the exit inspection is getting loonier and loonier, I've been averaging over 25 minutes to get out the last few times. And no escaping that one, since everybody, from exalted to riffraff go through it.
Old May 22, 2006, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

FWIW, I spoke to a contact at the Canadian Embassy and it would seem that they are reviewing, and going forward to lodge a complaint vis a vis this new law. Perhaps you might also call your embassy to start the ball rolling. This law needs to be shredded........
Old May 24, 2006, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Exclamation Official text from the foreign ministry.......

I wanted to share the "official" foreign ministry text that was given to me by the Canadian Embassy in Tokyo. The following of course is juxtaposed with the article of the Japan Times and other newspapers. It would seem that the Embassy is currently seeking further clarification to the vague wording of "other permanent residents with permanent status". If any of you wish to contact your own missions for clarification it would greatly be appreciated.

"On May 17, 2006, the Government of Japan adopted an amendment to the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Law that allows Japanese authorities to take electronic fingerprints and digital photographs of visitors entering Japan. The provisions exempt those visiting Japan for diplomatic or official purposes, those invited by the state, those under 16, and ethnic Koreans and other permanent residents with permanent status. The Government of Japan has advised that the information will be closely managed to ensure that it is used for law enforcement and national security purposes only. Travel documents incorporating biometric technology are becoming commonplace worldwide, with that information increasingly collected and assessed at border control points. Implementation of these provisions is expected by November 2007."
Old May 30, 2006, 12:16 am

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Plat
The first two times I lived in Japan they required fingerprints to be taken and then they did away with the law after public backlash--mostly from long-time Chinese and Korean residents in Japan who aren't allowed to become Japanese nationals. I wouldn't be surprised if after a while they decide to back of this new legislation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.