Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

New immigration policies: Japan to fingerprint and photograph visitors (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New immigration policies: Japan to fingerprint and photograph visitors (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2007, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kcvt750
Just in case any of us have questions regarding the efficacy of the program:

Ummmm, yeah. This always happens on day one of any new program.
It will only get worse...........
Old Nov 21, 2007, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
Hi all,

I will be taking NWA69 DTW-KIX this Friday 23NOV (arriving KIX Saturday night). Has anyone gone through the new immigration procedures that recently came into effect? Lenghty waits / attitudes of the inspectors / other observations?

[MODS: please move to appropriate forum if you feel this thread should be elsewhere! I just got it started here since NWA has plethora of JPN flights & I will be flying them. thx]

thanks guys~

PF
I just went through yesterday at NRT. The line at Immigration for non-residents was long, and it took almost an hour to get to the front. The process itself was fast for me. They took my passport and forms, had me press down on the fingerprint machine with my two index fingers, then took my picture and waved me through. All of two minutes, if that, and no attitude from the inspecter. The guy in front of me, though, also American, took five minutes, but it may have been something on his form.

They should really have a few more stations at NRT for us foreigners. The line for natives and the line for those with reentry permits were short. Of course, your passage through KIX might be faster. Please report back on that.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
They should really have a few more stations at NRT for us foreigners. The line for natives and the line for those with reentry permits were short.
Funny, I see the exact same thing coming back into the U.S. many times.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I just went through yesterday at NRT. The line at Immigration for non-residents was long, and it took almost an hour to get to the front. The process itself was fast for me. They took my passport and forms, had me press down on the fingerprint machine with my two index fingers, then took my picture and waved me through. All of two minutes, if that, and no attitude from the inspector. The guy in front of me, though, also American, took five minutes, but it may have been something on his form.

They should really have a few more stations at NRT for us foreigners. The line for natives and the line for those with reentry permits were short. Of course, your passage through KIX might be faster. Please report back on that.
How many stations did they have running for non-residents? And was this T1 or T2?
Old Nov 21, 2007, 9:35 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Funny, I see the exact same thing coming back into the U.S. many times.
I was just going to say.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 8:25 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

So has it been established that they repeat the photo and fingerprinting when EXITING the country? Earlier reports suggested that would be the case.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 9:19 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
So has it been established that they repeat the photo and fingerprinting when EXITING the country? Earlier reports suggested that would be the case.
No new procedures when exiting, unless you are using the semi-automated gate.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:44 pm

Did anyone have fingerprinting experience at NGO and FUK? How long are the queues?

Thanks!
Old Nov 22, 2007, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Did anyone have fingerprinting experience at NGO and FUK? How long are the queues?

Thanks!
A reporter I know was covering the story at FUK and Hakata Port. The machines went down at Hakata Port while the complaints at FUK were that they weren't expanding the lines "dynamically" for some re-entrants. During the 8 AM arrival bank the lines were long for the foreigners while the immigration officials in the Japanese lines sat with nothing to do (despite having machines on their desks).
Old Nov 22, 2007, 7:38 am

Programs: United MP - 2P
Please keep updating...

I hope more people will post their experiences here, as I am concerned about my trip in January.

Also, what happens if you miss your connection because of immigration? For example, I have a 80-minute gap between my arrival and connection through NRT. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated - I'll also update my experience here when it's done.

Thank you all - man, I love this site!
Old Nov 22, 2007, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by garwynn
I hope more people will post their experiences here, as I am concerned about my trip in January.

Also, what happens if you miss your connection because of immigration? For example, I have a 80-minute gap between my arrival and connection through NRT. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated - I'll also update my experience here when it's done.

Thank you all - man, I love this site!
If you transit thru NRT to another country then you need not go through immigration/customs. There is a separate transit area and you only need to go through security. In other words you don't have to go through the procedures outlined in these posts. They are only applicable if Japan is your final destination. Hope that helps.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 7:57 am

Programs: United MP - 2P
In this case..

Unfortunately I have to go through as my connection is for a Japan domestic flight. So I'm hoping that will be enough time, but I would like to be ready if it's not.

Thanks!
Old Nov 22, 2007, 7:57 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by garwynn
Also, what happens if you miss your connection because of immigration?
International to International connection won't be affected - no immigration control.

International to Domestic - you may be put on the next flight, which require an extra day (or a bus trip to Haneda)

International to "International flight within Japan (from NRT to NGO) - I believe you are not required to go through immigration at NRT.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by motytrah
How many stations did they have running for non-residents? And was this T1 or T2?
T1. I didn't count - more than 5, though. Probably 7-8 at the time.

As to the posts about US entry, yes, it's bad for foreigners in the US, although I don't remember the disparity being as great at DTW. Of course, how much attention do I pay? I just want to go through and get to the WorldClub.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 10:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
For the NW flights to/from NGO that require a connection at NRT:
The DTW-NRT-NGO flight is treated as an international connection at NRT (security check) and you only go through Immigration and Customs at NGO.

The same in reverse, you do exit Immigration at NGO, do an "international" flight to NRT and make a international connection (security check) there. NGO is a smaller airport, I went there when it first opened and Immigration lines were pretty darn fast there, I don't know how it is now, but I "don't" think it would add that much extra time at NGO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.