Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

New immigration policies: Japan to fingerprint and photograph visitors (merged)

New immigration policies: Japan to fingerprint and photograph visitors (merged)

Old Nov 16, 07, 4:24 pm

Programs: WWMFD
Originally Posted by hamburgler View Post
Just received this from ACCJ.
It's missing the part about "ACCJ is lobbying diligently on behalf of American citizens with resident status to revise the entry/exit procedures."
Old Nov 16, 07, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One View Post
This is ridiculous. Even the US lets my Japanese wife go through the US citizens line with me. They have fingerprint readers and cameras at all stations, so they can take her prints and photo even when she goes through the US line. There is no reason why Japan can't do the same, or why they can't continue to let re-entry permit holders go through the Japanese line.

I can't believe Japan will now treat visitors even worse than the US! (And with policies that do nothing to enhance security.) What is this, a race to the bottom?
Even MrLapLap has been told that he's welcome to use the "EU passport holders" queue when returning to the UK (certainly when he's travelling with me).

So far, I've never seen any of the huge NRT queues that get discussed here. At least we can both wait together, so that's some comfort. I'll be interested to learn how it all pans out, but we don't anticipate returning until late next year.
Old Nov 17, 07, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Entered via NRT today. On the Japanese passport side, there are alternating booths with "re-entry permit holder" on top, so that's promising. All the stations appear to have the new hardware.

The foreigner line is the same CF it has always been. Interestingly, today was my first time ever that the NEX was full, standing room only. I wonder why that is, very strange, it isn't holidays or anything.
Old Nov 17, 07, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Interestingly, today was my first time ever that the NEX was full, standing room only. I wonder why that is, very strange, it isn't holidays or anything.
They probably offered the PASMO card deal to the Japanese.
Old Nov 18, 07, 7:58 am

Programs: UA MP
Since KIX has no seperate reentry permit line (and, from the sound of things, will be quite a mess), it'll be fun to see what everything is like on the 24th (when I come back), although my flight isn't very full (apparently around half full).
Old Nov 18, 07, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Was asked for my passport(by the police) this AM at Hakata Station. First time in 17 years that I have had my ID checked on the street here!
Old Nov 18, 07, 8:24 pm

Programs: WWMFD
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy View Post
Was asked for my passport(by the police) this AM at Hakata Station. First time in 17 years that I have had my ID checked on the street here!
Were you carrying a bloody head in a paper sack?
Old Nov 18, 07, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kcvt750 View Post
No, I had already mailed it to those idiots at Accenture in Bermuda..........

If anyone cares to sign a petition on this issue..........
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/f...pan/index.html
Old Nov 19, 07, 4:37 am

Programs: churning and burning
"We're sorry for fingerprinting you. Here, have some spaghetti."

http://business.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1818262007

Also, if you aren't used to having your ID checked on the street... you really need to get a bicycle.
Old Nov 19, 07, 4:41 am

Programs: UA 1K
I departed from NRT on Sunday, Nov. 18. Towards the right side of the immigration booths (as you face them), there was an automatic gate already set up. They had "out of order" signs set up. This thing looked scary and it only occupied one lane. I didn't get a close look as I was in line already. I arrived at NRT on Nov. 10 and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary on entrance, except for the finger print scanner and digital cameras at the individual booths.
Old Nov 19, 07, 6:03 am

I would love to hear reports from anyone landing at Terminal 1; especially if they come in on DL 55. I have never seen bad lines in Terminal 1 so I am very interested in the impact of the change. Also, if anyone departing Terminal 1 goes through passport control around 1300, I would be interested in hearing how long it took. I fly out in a couple of weeks and back again a few days later.

thanks,

Marc
Old Nov 19, 07, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Marq View Post
I have never seen bad lines in Terminal 1 so I am very interested in the impact of the change.
Note to self: Need to fly more often.
Old Nov 19, 07, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by kcvt750 View Post
I have some extra toilet paper you could wrap it in.
Old Nov 19, 07, 8:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
Post#148 mentioned that automatic gates for Terminal 1 will only be in the South Wing?

Marq, I fly into Terminal 1 myself a bit and don't usually see any long lines coming in, but rather going out. However, we'll see how things go, but I'll be there next month, so they got a month to work out some of the kinks.
Old Nov 19, 07, 11:28 pm
mjm
Original Member

Have just received the following in .pdf format:

1. Application Form for User Registration of the Automated Gates (45kb)
2. User's guide (manual for the gates and registration) (47kb)

Anybody that would like them mailed, please semd PM or mail to me wit an address at which you can receive these docs.

Mike

Search this Thread