Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

New immigration policies: Japan to fingerprint and photograph visitors (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New immigration policies: Japan to fingerprint and photograph visitors (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2007, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hamburgler
Apparently Narita will have an automated gate from 11/20 for those who have preregistered their photos and fingerprints (also can apparently do from 11/20 at T1-South and T2 exit immigration). However, the only information I've seen on this is in Japanese here:

http://www.moj.go.jp/NYUKAN/nyukan63-2.pdf

Can someone with better language skills than myself confirm that this is the case, and perhaps provide more details?
From my quick looksie you can also apply at the Tokyo Immigration Bureau......You will need a special form, plus your passport, and visa information (I assume your gaijin card too,but this is not explicitly written). I certainly don't see any time saving on the way out, perhaps on the way in though (but this is only in NRT.......) You still have to give your prints and photo each time, the immigration booth is still manned (as opposed to the Canadian system), as are the greenline customs booths which they stop all to have a chat!

Last edited by Q Shoe Guy; Nov 4, 2007 at 11:38 pm Reason: misread
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:00 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Apparently Narita will have an automated gate from 11/20 for those who have preregistered their photos and fingerprints (also can apparently do from 11/20 at T1-South and T2 exit immigration). However, the only information I've seen on this is in Japanese here:

Can someone with better language skills than myself confirm that this is the case, and perhaps provide more details?
Yes - you can register for this scheme in Terminal 1 or Terminal 2 of Narita Airport when you go through immigration to leave the country. (Also at the Tokyo immigration prison in the docklands).

The initial description of the service makes it sound unhelpful:

(1) On arrival
Advance to a position directly in front of the immigration officer. Place your passport in the reader. After it is confirmed that you are the registered person, you will provide your fingerprints and face photo. Then give your ED Card and passport to the immigration officer and after he checks, the gate will open and this concludes the procedure for arrivals inspection.

If this is correct, I'll give this service a pass...

Last edited by jib71; Nov 4, 2007 at 10:14 pm
Old Nov 4, 2007, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71

(1) On arrival
Advance to a position directly in front of the immigration officer. Place your passport in the reader. After it is confirmed that you are the registered person, you will provide your fingerprints and face photo. Then give your ED Card and passport to the immigration officer and after he checks, the gate will open and this concludes the procedure for arrivals inspection.

Well that is what I thought I read too, but what is the point of the card if they are going to get your prints/mugshot anyway? I guess you get a special line, and that is all.......
Old Nov 4, 2007, 11:38 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by jib71

(1) On arrival

Interesting, of course the version for Japanese folks seems to be more straightforward, without any immigration officer at all. Still, since I'm leaving on 11/21, I think I'll try it then and see how it works. OTOH, I do like getting all the Narita stamps now...
Old Nov 5, 2007, 3:12 am

Programs: WWMFD
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
I guess you get a special line, and that is all.......
It might actually be worth it if most people feel this way & the queue is resultantly shorter.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 3:31 am
mjm
Original Member

Just came back through and have confirmed that Japanese nationals are welcome to hang out through immigration in the plebian line with their loved ones/ family members. Vice Versa is no go.

And that machine for photos and prints is a doozy. Looks a bit like something out of a science fiction flick.

Going to miss the under 2 minute drill like today.

Mike
Old Nov 6, 2007, 6:56 am

I always come into Terminal 1 and have never taken more than a minute or two to get through immigration. Is this really going to make that much of a difference? I have always been up front (or close to the front) flying into Narita and have been towards the front of the crowd. Since planes in Terminal 1 seem to be better spaced than Terminal 2, shouldn't the overlap of pax going through immigration still be minimal?

I guess I will see for myself 10 Dec.

Marc
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:08 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by mjm
Just came back through and have confirmed that Japanese nationals are welcome to hang out through immigration in the plebian line with their loved ones/ family members. Vice Versa is no go.
This is ridiculous. Even the US lets my Japanese wife go through the US citizens line with me. They have fingerprint readers and cameras at all stations, so they can take her prints and photo even when she goes through the US line. There is no reason why Japan can't do the same, or why they can't continue to let re-entry permit holders go through the Japanese line.

I can't believe Japan will now treat visitors even worse than the US! (And with policies that do nothing to enhance security.) What is this, a race to the bottom?
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:19 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold

The linked file says that foreigners have to get fingerprinted even at departure!?? So we have to go through this madness not only upon entry but also when we leave Japan??
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
The linked file says that foreigners have to get fingerprinted even at departure!?? So we have to go through this madness not only upon entry but also when we leave Japan??
Nice huh............
Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Nice huh............
If you refuse to give them your prints on departure they kick you out of the country..........
Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by valve bouncer
If you refuse to give them your prints on departure they kick you out of the country..........
Don't forget to give them the gaijin card when you are forced to leave...........!
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:05 am

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Just received this from ACCJ. Looks like, at least temporarily, families with one Japanese+one foreign parent can use the JP line at immigration.

The following is a recap of measures that will be introduced to ensure
that the new procedures are implemented as smoothly as possible:

Narita International Airport - Tokyo:
- Add 100 immigration officers during the transition period
- Provide dedicated queues for foreigners with re-entry permits
- Provide dedicated queues for airline crew members and disabled/
reduced mobility passengers
- Offer automated immigration gates in Terminal 1 South Wing and
Terminal 2 for pre-registered travelers. Registration is available at
the Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau or the Narita District Office
- Install cameras/fingerprint readers at all positions and dynamically
expand number of queues available to foreigners
- At least initially, allow mixed nationality families with children
under the age of 16 and one Japanese parent to use the Japanese
passport holder lanes

Central Japan International Airport - Nagoya:
- Add 18 immigration officers during the transition period
- Provide a dedicated queue for airline crew members and disabled/
- At least initially allow mixed nationality families (at least one
Japanese parent) to use Japanese passport holder lanes
- Consider installing automated immigration gates during 2008

Kansai International Airport - Osaka:
- Add immigrations officers (number under study) during transition period
- Provide a dedicated queue for airline crew members and disabled/
- Consider installing automated immigration gates during 2008
Note: the Kansai region is home to a large number of Korean special
permanent residents who will use the Japanese passport holders lanes
and are not subject to biometric data collection

Other airports:
The U.S. carriers have met with the local immigrations authorities and
believe that because a high percentage of passengers using these
secondary airports, foreign citizens will encounter few problems.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:14 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

So it looks like of the big 3, KIX will be the least prepared and no thought at all has been given to Haneda, which has a number of international flights, although apparently that doesn't matter since no U.S. carriers are involved!

Adding 100 extra officers to Narita has the following effect: in each direction, I think (not sure) there are 2 places to go through in terminal 1 and 2 places in terminal 2. So that is 8 places where a passenger can interact with immigration. It takes 4 shifts, 5 if you have holiday time and vacation time, to cover 24/7, so doing the math, that means at most 3 extra positions open, on average, at each location if they have forced overtime for immigration staff.

With the additional time required, apparently on both entry and exit, this small an addition is, of course, a recipe for disaster, espcially with tired officers forced to do overtime.

Also, where are they going to get these extra immigration inspectors? Will they pull them off visa processing? What happens when they decide they no longer need the extra staff?

Whatever the mess is like, I will be experiencing it in 2 weeks. My condolences to those who have to experience it before I do.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
So it looks like of the big 3, KIX will be the least prepared and no thought at all has been given to Haneda, which has a number of international flights, although apparently that doesn't matter since no U.S. carriers are involved!

Adding 100 extra officers to Narita has the following effect: in each direction, I think (not sure) there are 2 places to go through in terminal 1 and 2 places in terminal 2. So that is 8 places where a passenger can interact with immigration. It takes 4 shifts, 5 if you have holiday time and vacation time, to cover 24/7, so doing the math, that means at most 3 extra positions open, on average, at each location if they have forced overtime for immigration staff.

With the additional time required, apparently on both entry and exit, this small an addition is, of course, a recipe for disaster, espcially with tired officers forced to do overtime.

Also, where are they going to get these extra immigration inspectors? Will they pull them off visa processing? What happens when they decide they no longer need the extra staff?

Whatever the mess is like, I will be experiencing it in 2 weeks. My condolences to those who have to experience it before I do.
When have "koumuin" ever done overtime?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.