Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Cool new stuff (buildings / trains / technology etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cool new stuff (buildings / trains / technology etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2009, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjm
15 minutes is very doable today. You want to talk about cool new stuff? Here you go.....

http://www.mori.co.jp/mcas/
Is there a teiki for this service......JR Q Shoe used to offer 50% off theirs.....(not that I ever took them up on it )
Old Apr 16, 2009, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kcvt750
Or some more useless railway stations/bridges to nowhere.

Oh wait. That's the proposed concept.
Perhaps they will finally build that proposed Skybridge from Fukuoka city to Izuka.....can we all say Kakue Tanaka 2 sei.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 4:59 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by SJUAMMF
Half a million yen one way?
Nope. 150,000 per person. 500,000 if you book all four seats or do not want to share a ride. Call it 10% of full fare F?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 5:06 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Also if you look at the helicopter page, it takes 30-35 minutes so not very much better than the train. I guess this is how Mr. Mori tries to subsidize his personal use!
30-35 minutes door to door. 15-20 minutes actual flying time.

Compared to the N'ex. Hmmmm....

10-20 minutes (being very generous) to get from baggage claim to the ticket counter to the next train which may or may not be arriving soon.

An hour to Tokyo.

Another 20 minutes to the same locale (i.e. Akasaka).

And nobody to carry your bags.

So 35 minutes vs. 100 minutes. Or 1/3 of the time in a manner as different as is Y from F.

Far better would be a better descriptor than "Not very much better." This is a business venture. Strictly that. Subsidization it is not.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by mjm
Far better would be a better descriptor than "Not very much better." This is a business venture. Strictly that. Subsidization it is not.
I give it six months as a "business" venture.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
I give it six months as a "business" venture.
I bet 100 Riels on the bizness venture!
Old Apr 19, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
On my last trip out to NRT on the N'Ex, I noticed that they were adding an elevated connection to the viaduct just outside of the town of Narita (when you go past the shopping center). Maybe this is some minor improvement? Possibly it could eliminate the need for the N'Ex inbound to Tokyo to have to stop and wait on the trestle?

Seems to me that if JR doesn't do something, Keisei will kill them when the faster train route opens up, it will even be significantly faster to Shinjuku than N'Ex (although the Yamanote line part is less comfortable).
an elevated connection to the viaduct just outside of the town of Narita

is for

the faster train route.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
I bet 100 Riels on the bizness venture!
Another one from the "what the hell were they thinking" file: In Hiroo, a while back, a Nathan's hotdogs opened. Lasted about a year or so, only to be replaced by a "Chinese and Italian" restaurant. I gave that 6 months also. I think it lasted 5 months.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Lasted about a year or so, only to be replaced by a "Chinese and Italian" restaurant. I gave that 6 months also. I think it lasted 5 months.
It's all basically noodles, right?

I went to a Chinese restaurant in a provincial capital in northern Italy. The noodles were delivered prior to the 'secondi piatti' and it really took us a long time to figure out that they weren't going to bring us anything else until we ate them.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA (former CO), TrueBlue, Etc.
Another one from the "what the hell were they thinking" file: In Hiroo, a while back, a Nathan's hotdogs opened. Lasted about a year or so, only to be replaced by a "Chinese and Italian" restaurant. I gave that 6 months also. I think it lasted 5 months.
Was that in Hiroo? I definitely went to one in Shinagawa, in the "Fake New York" part of the Station. I thought there was one in Harajuku also? Or has that one closed as well? I
Old Apr 21, 2009, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by patchmonkey
Was that in Hiroo? I definitely went to one in Shinagawa, in the "Fake New York" part of the Station. I thought there was one in Harajuku also? Or has that one closed as well? I
Yes, they are all closed, I believe. Not a success, apparently. But fret not, you can get a hot dog at McDonald's. However, it is only available until 10:00... in the morning! That's right, there's nothing more invigorating and representative of a proper breakfast than a hot dog and a cup of coffee. Only in Japan.

For the record, I actually quite like Japanese-style breakfast (fish, rice, miso soup, dried seaweed, pickled plums, etc.) But a hot dog for breakfast is just not kosher, in all senses of the word.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Ooof. I'm generally extremely keen on Japanese food, but the idea of waking up for a breakfast of miso soup, raw egg, pickles and a bowl full of fish fry and grated daikon is major control on my alcohol consumption when on away-days to the onsen.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
NRT-HND by maglev, I doubt that will happen anytime soon.
This was the tone adopted by the Yomiuri Shinbun that I read on my journey to Narita on Tuesday. It seems that the NRT-HND maglev is being pushed by the governors of Kanagawa and Chiba. They'd like to make Narita and Haneda into one big virtual airport. It seems to be very "product out" thinking to me.

Needless to say, their estimated costs of 1.3 Trillion yen would turn out to be ridiculous underestimate if the project were to go ahead... and they don't want to pay for it themselves...

What is happening soon, and as mentioned is next year the new Skyliner services will start operating between Ueno/Nippori and NRT in 36 minutes.
With possible rerouting to HND (the connection exists today, just seldom used).
Does this mean that a train that goes to Keisei Ueno will then continue on to HND? I didn't see any way to do that (other than having the train back out of Keisei Ueno station until it gets to a junction somewhere).
Or does this mean that some trains from Narita will route to Keisei Ueno, while others will merge with the Asakusa line, missing out Nippori and Keisei Ueno?
(Or does it mean that the new station at Nippori will allow trains to merge onto a subway line somehow?)

New Narita Express trains will come into service this year too, just updated trains, no major speed upgrade to my knowledge (I think they look ugly compared to the slick new Skyliners).
Provided they don't have the crummy Bombardier seating, I'll see it as an improvement.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:07 pm

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Mt.Fuji Shizuoka Airport

An international airport opens today.
It is Mt.Fuji Shizuoka Airport.

http://www.mtfuji-shizuokaairport.jp/english/index.html

JL,KE,NH fly into the airport.
It means 3 major alliances serve it.

Last edited by O Sora; Jun 3, 2009 at 10:13 pm
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:20 pm

Programs: WWMFD
Originally Posted by O Sora
An international airport opens today.
It is Mt.Fuji Shizuoka Airport.
Your tax yen at work.

I don't know how the area has survived without it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.