What CC's for domestic lounge access?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2006, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor

Seeing TR35R's post from this thread in the AA Forum got me thinking about exactly what credit cards are acceptable for access to lounges (domestic as well as international) in Japan. And rather than ask my question in the AA Forum thread as it would be off-topic, I thought it better to bring my question here where those with more probable experience with this situation would see it.
Originally Posted by TR35R
Also, there're credit card company lounges(7:00AM~)... here's the link, http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/gui.../svc_61_t1.html
I hope you have a Diners club or AMEX...
Of course we know that Gold (and above) card versions of those listed (with the exceptions of the AMEX, Diners and Priority Pass) are necessary for access to lounges in Japan. Absent an AMEX, Diners, Priority Pass, I would think that not many visitors to Japan have a Japanese-based Gold card in their possession with which to access these lounges.

My question is, "Would a non-Japanese-based card also allow access (or at the very least allow one to slip by), for example a Gold VISA card put out by Chase or a US-based JCB Gold card?"

Having a Diners and VISA (Japan) Gold card to access these lounges (except when using a WorldClub/affiliate), I've never had the experience. Anybody?

I've used the following site to keep up on CC-lounge applicability. While the page may not look polished and professional, it has been kept fairly up-to-date and has been very informative. Sorry, but it's only in Japanese.
http://michelin.web.infoseek.co.jp/service5/card52.htm
Old Jan 22, 2006, 5:05 am
TR35R

Originally Posted by DoubleJ
My question is, "Would a non-Japanese-based card also allow access (or at the very least allow one to slip by), for example a Gold VISA card put out by Chase or a US-based JCB Gold card?"
No... unless the gate dragon is moron.
There has been the sign in airport lounges indicating that "We accept credit cards only issued in Japan....albeit those characters are written tiny, I'd say "almost invisible.

As far as I know,they do not honor VISA(US) Signature & Infinite, CITI/AA Platinum.

Having a Diners and VISA (Japan) Gold card to access these lounges (except when using a WorldClub/affiliate), I've never had the experience. Anybody?
The lounge in NRT T-1(land side) are usually wide open in the morning, newspapers are complimentary,copy/FAX machines, also you can get one free drink...that's it. JAL3052(FUK~NRT) arrives T-2 at 8:50AM but AA ticket counter in the T-1 opens 10:30AM so I have to kill at least 60-90mins there as I opt connecting to AA/JAL code share flight from JL3052...that's why I visited this lounge. In any case, I'd recommend choosing airline's (air side) lounge If the option is available.

and thanks for the link, It's interesting.
I've used the following site to keep up on CC-lounge applicability. While the page may not look polished and professional, it has been kept fairly up-to-date and has been very informative. Sorry, but it's only in Japanese.
http://michelin.web.infoseek.co.jp/service5/card52.htm

Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
(domestic as well as international)
Not sure about domestic, According to JCB USA's website, the JCB Gold Card (the one issued in the us)

ACCESS TO THE NARITA AIRPORT LOUNGE
The JCB Gold Card gives you exclusive access to the Narita, Kansai and Central Airport Lounge.

Last edited by railroadtycoon; Jan 22, 2006 at 11:21 am
Old Jan 22, 2006, 5:51 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
My guess is that the "Visa Japan" lounge might only accept Visa Gold cards which were issued in Japan.

However, the "IASS" lounges in Terminal 1 and 2 seem potentially more promising for gold card holders (AMEX / Diners / etc) with non-Japanese cards.

It might be worth calling the lounges to find out - The phone numbers are published on the Narita airport website:

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guid...st/svc_61.html

I'd call myself, but I'm not in country right now...
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
Not sure about domestic, According to JCB USA's website, the JCB Gold Card (the one issued in the us)

ACCESS TO THE NARITA AIRPORT LOUNGE
The JCB Gold Card gives you exclusive access to the Narita, Kansai and Central Airport Lounge.
They sure do look to be the same card to me.
JCB Japan Gold card
JCB USA Gold card

I would assume that if the USA card can be used at the NRT lounges, then why not all the domestic lounges as well?

The big difference that I see between these two cards:
JCB Japan Gold card annual fee: 10,500 JPY
JCB USA Gold card annual fee: no annual fee
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
However, the "IASS" lounges in Terminal 1 and 2 seem potentially more promising for gold card holders (AMEX / Diners / etc) with non-Japanese cards.
There should be no problem accessing not just the IASS lounges in NRT, but the domestic lounges as well with any Diners Club card. In fact, the Diners website specifically lists access to these lounges as a benefit of the card:
http://www.dinersclub.com/en/DCIHome...rtlounge.jhtml

Don't know about the AMEX, though. Will give it a try next time I have the chance, as my AMEX is a US-based one.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by DoubleJ
There should be no problem accessing not just the IASS lounges in NRT, but the domestic lounges as well with any Diners Club card. In fact, the Diners website specifically lists access to these lounges as a benefit of the card:
http://www.dinersclub.com/en/DCIHome...rtlounge.jhtml

Don't know about the AMEX, though. Will give it a try next time I have the chance, as my AMEX is a US-based one.
I've used my US based AMEX to access the IASS lounge at NRT without problems. Never leave home without it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.