Search

Mt. Fuji places to stay

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2005, 11:04 am
pod
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (MM)
Mt. Fuji places to stay

Don't know if this is the right forum for this. Planning on climbing Mt. Fuji and would like to know a good area to stay before making the trek (getting out of Tokyo for a night). I'm hoping something is within an hour travel time. Areas such as Hakone? And also reccomendations for Ryokans in the area.
Thanks.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Mt. Fuji is climbed starting late night, so you won't need a place to stay. You can head from Tokyo straight into one of the 5th stations and begin your climb there.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 9:50 pm
pod
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (MM)
Originally Posted by Pickles
Mt. Fuji is climbed starting late night, so you won't need a place to stay. You can head from Tokyo straight into one of the 5th stations and begin your climb there.
Wanted to start from the base, so thinking of somewhere closer to stay the night before, hike up during the day to a hut, and get to the top for sunrise. Is Hakone close enough to do this? Or any other areas near the trailheads?
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by pod
Wanted to start from the base, so thinking of somewhere closer to stay the night before, hike up during the day to a hut, and get to the top for sunrise. Is Hakone close enough to do this? Or any other areas near the trailheads?
Yes, Hakone is close enough. Other towns near by are Mishima, Numazu, and Fujinomiya. Of these, Hakone and the lake area is the most "picturesque", although I think that except for some small areas (such as Gora) it is overbuilt and overrun by tourists.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 1:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I just returned for Asia trip which included 2 nights in Gora Kadan. I cannot reccomend it enough. The hotel is so relaxing. The private baths are great, and the food is remarkable. The train station is a quick 2 minute walk from the hotel, which is very convienant. It was a very private, very quite hotel. A great place for some much needed R&R between the big-cities.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gate_pourri
I just returned for Asia trip which included 2 nights in Gora Kadan. I cannot reccomend it enough. The hotel is so relaxing. The private baths are great, and the food is remarkable. The train station is a quick 2 minute walk from the hotel, which is very convienant. It was a very private, very quite hotel. A great place for some much needed R&R between the big-cities.
squeak! And at 50,000 - 70,000yen a night I should hope so! Does look lovely though.
If you want to stay in Gora for a bout a 6th of the price and would like somewhere traditional and hospital with a shared onsen, but where the food is acceptable but nothing more, I suggest the Taiyo Sanso, also in Gora. PM me if you want the fax number, alas there's nothing on the internet. I think the place used to be a Ryokan but is now more like a Kokumin shukusha (people's lodge) - I guess the owners are too old to maintain the kind of standards you'd get at the Kadan. Make sure you take some mosquito repellant (or ask about the plug in ones for your room BEFORE you get munched on). Do brush up on your etiquette first as they don't have many western guests. I think they were closed on Wednesdays - beware as this is common.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.