Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

The "Christon Cafe" in Shinjuku

Old Feb 22, 05, 9:04 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, here's another reason for the religious right to hate Godless Japan! This bar/restaurant is done in the style of a Christian cathedral, highlighted by an altar with a large crucifix, surrounded by religious statues and lots of candles. The remainder of the decor matches -- there are statues of saints and models of religious vestments all over the place.

Extensive, moderately priced food and drink menu. There is a modest (Y300) cover charge and 10% service charge is added. Unfortunately, the drink list doesn't include the Holy Grail. They do, however, cater weddings. A DJ plays suitable music -- when I was looking around, the featured artist was Enya.

This company is an equal opportunity offender, and also runs a number of Buddhist temple-like bars. The home page for the parent company (mostly in Japanese, but you'll get the idea) is http://www.ug-gu.co.jp
Old Feb 23, 05, 4:29 am

Programs: AC*G Elite, SPG-G, Mariot-G
Thumbs up

Why should you be offended by a cafe such as Christon in a country where christianity isnt even a double digit percentage of the population's faith of choice?

I have been to that cafe. Like anything else in Japan it is another re invention of an established image.

While tacky to a degree, I quite enjoyed my time there.

Did you notice the menu's were in the shape of coffins!! How neat is that?

7.5 out of 10 on my scale.
Old Feb 23, 05, 5:24 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Heck, I wasn't offended, I just suggested there might well be folks who would be.

I have very limited experience with the food and drink there; the margarita I had was so-so but the tiramisu was tasty. And yup, I noticed the menu shape!
Old Feb 23, 05, 9:15 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The home page for the parent company (mostly in Japanese, but you'll get the idea) is http://www.ug-gu.co.jp
How wonderfully tacky! I see they have locations in Shibuya and Osaka. This one will have to go on my "check it out" list.

Thanks.

JR