FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-509/)
-   -   Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan/300123-narita-intl-airport-nrt-layover-hotel-master-thread.html)

jib71 Jan 30, 2006 8:16 am

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
I may be routing through NRT on an Asian trip some. I was wondering if there are any capsulte hotels in/hear NRT that I could use. I think it would be cool to try, and nice to be able to lay horizontal for about eight hours or so before I go on.

AFAIK, there are no capsule hotels in the immediate area around Narita airport. (I suppose that space is not at such a premium and there aren't very many drunk office workers who missed their last train home in the area around the airport).

Also - AFAIK - capsule hotels tend not to be open to guests between 10am and 4pm. I believe that they use this time to clean the capsules.

If you are doing an overnight stop at NRT, and you are desperate to try a capsule hotel, then you could catch the Keisei train to Ueno or Chiba. I don't recommend it, but I guess it's a "cultural experience" of sorts.

If you are not going to stay overnight... then your best bet for getting some "horizontal time" during an 8 hour stopover would be the day rooms at Narita airport or one of the ordinary hotels near the airport.

Hirano Jan 31, 2006 7:46 am

If you can read Japanese, go
http://travel.rakuten.co.jp/HOTEL/39177/39177.html

It's not your request, maybe a dormitory.

LapLap Jan 31, 2006 8:53 am

As jib71 says, space isn't exacly at a premium around Narita (You can get a double room at the Tobu Narita for about 6,000yen - the usual cost of a capsule room in the city)

For an alternative quintessentially Japanese experience, how about spending the night here:

http://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/e/laqua/spa.htm

Access info: http://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/e/access/
(Korakuen station is just a couple of stops from Ueno - a train journey should take about 70 minutes)

Not all salarimen make it to capsule hotels, you'll see a quite a few people dozing in these all night spas.

jib71 Jan 31, 2006 3:45 pm

That's a pretty good suggestion from LapLap -

IMHO the LaQua spa would be a fun experience if you have an 8 hour stopover during the day-time. However, if we're talking about an overnight stopover... I would rather not use that facility for an overnight stay. I can't get to sleep in a huge hall of strangers who are watching TV on reclining chairs.

Note - The LaQua spa is not quite as easy to reach as LapLap's post suggests. I think this is the best route:

From the Keisei Ueno station, you should walk South for a couple of blocks until you reach the Ueno Okachimachi subway station (for the Oedo line). From there, you can catch the Oedo line to Kasuga.
The LaQua spa is directly next to Kasuga station. (*Basically it's the same location as Korakuen station).

maspablo Jan 11, 2007 5:04 pm

Terminal 1 things to do ? 12 hr layover ,airside.

I have done search , and I have been in NRT several time myself . but , my friend is traveling for first time from Bali to JFK and has 12 hr layover Jan 15th until AA 168 leaves @ 7 pm . She is on low to minimal budget , and probably better to keep her in terminal 1 , where her flight leaves from .

, what comforts can I find her ?

Can I reserve Day room for her with my CC ? do i just call ## ?
Free internet is available still in Terminal 2 ? Terminal 1 have any ?
waiting lounge is air side , terminal 1 , 2nd floor ?

any other ideas ?

I am OW saphire , so i get in clubs . never pay attention to creature comforts. except for sushi !!

thanks

Pickles Jan 11, 2007 11:47 pm

I don't know, cry? 12 hours airside (or landside, for that matter) in NRT is not something I would do voluntarily.

I'd find myself some money, then, and get out. With enough money, I'd head all the way to Tokyo. With less money, Narita town could be a good substitute.

jib71 Jan 11, 2007 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles (Post 7001435)
I'd find myself some money

I have a mental picture of Pickles setting up his lemonade stand outside the Admirals Club....

kcvt750 Jan 12, 2007 3:46 am

I'd suggest staying awake for the Bali > NRT leg then getting a hotel room for sleep during the day. Makes staying awake easy on the NRT > JFK leg and theoretically easier to sleep once on EST upon arrival.

jib71 Jan 12, 2007 8:29 am

If you have about 6,000 yen you could get a day-plan at the Narita Rest House (It's on the airport campus). But really, you're still stuck in Narita airport if you stay there.

I would say that it's best to spend 500yen for the roundtrip to Narita city on the Keisei line. That way you can at least kill a few hours walking around the temple complex.

I don't see any "day rate" plans at the cheaper hotels in Narita City - most of them state 3pm as check in time. (It might be worth calling to see if you can get a day-plan).

After going back to the airport, rather than renting a day-room, perhaps you could see if a FlyerTalker will be able to invite her into one of the club rooms.

I hope this helps.

maspablo Jan 12, 2007 2:43 pm

stuck in terminal

She doesnt have Japanese visa, so is stuck airside. I am trying to get her dayroom , for a nap .

ksandness Jan 12, 2007 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by maspablo (Post 6999217)
I have done search , and I have been in NRT several time myself . but , my friend is traveling for first time from Bali to JFK and has 12 hr layover Jan 15th until AA 168 leaves @ 7 pm . She is on low to minimal budget , and probably better to keep her in terminal 1 , where her flight leaves from .

, what comforts can I find her ?

Can I reserve Day room for her with my CC ? do i just call ## ?
Free internet is available still in Terminal 2 ? Terminal 1 have any ?
waiting lounge is air side , terminal 1 , 2nd floor ?

any other ideas ?

I am OW saphire , so i get in clubs . never pay attention to creature comforts. except for sushi !!

thanks

Twelve hours is PLENTY of time for a jaunt into the city of Narita, a pleasant little town with a lovely temple complex. As another poster said, the roundtrip on the Keisei local train costs only about 500 yen, a meal in a small restaurant in town should cost no more than 1500 yen, and if she can't afford that, the equivalent of about US$18 all told, then she really has no business traveling internationally. Actually, it would cost her the same or more to spend 12 hours in the terminal and would be far less interesting.

Just make sure she gets a transit visa at Immigration.

maspablo Jan 12, 2007 6:16 pm

her budget is about 7$ more

25 $ budget strictly airside.

thanks for thoughts . I know next time I have 5 hrs or more I am going to Narita town.

Scifience Jan 12, 2007 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by maspablo (Post 7005228)
She doesnt have Japanese visa, so is stuck airside. I am trying to get her dayroom , for a nap .

Shouldn't she still be able to get a transit visa with proof of onward travel to JFK?

IceTrojan Jan 12, 2007 6:50 pm

Doesn't anyone else sense that something isn't adding up?

Pickles Jan 12, 2007 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan (Post 7006598)
Doesn't anyone else sense that something isn't adding up?

No, there is a JL flight from DPS that arrives at 8:00 AM that day, and the JFK flight does leave in the late afternoon. Anything else that's fishy? Maybe it is some mail-order bride thing, who knows.