Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Narita International Airport (NRT) - Layover & Hotel
Where to stay overnight and what to do nearby

Narita Airport (NRT) is approximately 60 km from central Tokyo. It is blessed with numerous hotels, many with shuttles (served from the terminals' bus platforms) and often at surprisingly low rates for Japan. Some of these hotels offer free shuttles into the nearby city of Narita (Narita-shi).

If you have a few hours (say six or more) Narita offers many things to do--the Narita-san Shinsho-ji Temple and Park is beautiful and pleasant and on weekends one often sees performances of traditional arts and music. The Omotesando street leading there is lined with shops and restaurants, as well as a local museum.

See Mike Newman's Narita Layover Pages for many things one can do.

See the thorough online Japan Guide.

Read this article on CNN.

Some of the hotels at/near Narita Airport:
A - Radisson Hotel Narita https://www.radisson.com/narita-hote...-0221/jpnarita
B - Narita Gateway Hotel http://www.reservations.com/hotel/na...FQ-bfgodLi4M0A
C - Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu http://www.tokyuhotelsjapan.com/en/h...RIT/index.html
D - Narita View Hotel http://www.viewhotels.co.jp/narita/english/
E - Hilton Narita http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/jap...IHI/index.html
F - ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hote...cp/hoteldetail
G - Marroad International Hotel Narita http://www.marroad.jp/narita/eindex.htm
H - Narita Tobu Hotel http://www.tobuhotel.co.jp.e.mi.hp.transer.com/narita/
I - Hotel Nikko Narita http://www.nikko-narita.com/english/
J - Narita Airport Rest House (located inside the airport) http://www.apo-resthouse.com/english/
K - Toyoko Inn Narita Kuko http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00037/
L - Skycourt Narita http://www.sky-hotel.jp/narita/en/

Print Wikipost

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Old Dec 13, 2004, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
If you do go into Narita, do bear in mind you'll probably need good cold weather clothing this time of the year and you may want to weigh carrying that with you. While HKG is cooler compared to HNL and you may have something, it's usually rather warmer than Japan (Tokyo area) and most indoor spaces are warm enough. There's very few public places to stay warm in Narita. My GF and I spent a few hours there mid January. It was a nice sunny day but windy and less than 5C (40F). Wasn't pleasant without warm windproof clothing.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 7:57 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I don't know about terminal 1 (where UAL flies), but T2 has the Yahoo Cafe, a free internet cafe! It's on the 2nd floor, though not super well marked, you have to ask for it. Also the showers are right next to the Internet Cafe, so you could also get a refreshing shower for something like $5. FYI - this info is current, I was there less than 4 weeks ago (and had a 2hr layover in T2).
Old Dec 13, 2004, 9:39 pm

If you are *G or flying in F or C, you can check out the lounges at NRT T2. UA RCC has showers and the smaller SQ Silver Kris lounge has a lot better food. I take a shower at the RCC and eat in the SQ lounge. If you are neither, in addition to shower facilities (Ą500 for half-hour), the shower room also rents day rooms by the hour (Ą1000 per hour for single, Ą1600 for twin) that come with beds. Lots of food choices, duty-free shopping and internet cafes. I personally would not take a chance of going into town with 5 hours from touch down to take-off, but I am an overly cautious person.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SWA Rapid Rewards, Alaska Air Mileage Plan, AAdvantage, CX Marco Polo
Originally Posted by gt_croz
Having just spent 5 hours in NRT about 20 hours ago, I can let you know that you're out of luck if you wish to leave the airport. NRT isn't anywhere close to Tokyo, it's in Narita.

Even the Narita stop is 10-15 minutes by subway.

In the departure lounge however, there are a lot of shops and malls. There is a "Japanese section" and a "Western/Chinese section" It's an alright place to get some authentic Japanese grub if you so desire.

Personally, I just bounced from shop to shop sucking down Shoju (really alcoholic fruity drink) and eating sushi rice triangles while waiting for my plane.

Enjoy your visit
By "departure lounge", you mean the landside area, right? NRT's Terminal 1
airside departure area is relatively sparse in terms of both stores and eating places. Now on the other hand, the landside area has a lot of those restaurants and shops you mentioned. There's even an aviation souvenir shop (model planes, books, posters, etc.) for aviation fans on the 5/F of the central portion of T1's landside departure area.

You do have to clear immigration to get to landside area, of course.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 8:47 pm

Programs: /usr/bin
Originally Posted by silverkris168
By "departure lounge", you mean the landside area, right? NRT's Terminal 1
airside departure area is relatively sparse in terms of both stores and eating places. Now on the other hand, the landside area has a lot of those restaurants and shops you mentioned. There's even an aviation souvenir shop (model planes, books, posters, etc.) for aviation fans on the 5/F of the central portion of T1's landside departure area.

You do have to clear immigration to get to landside area, of course.
Nope...I'm talking about the upstairs section before security by where all the checkin counters are.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 2:18 am

mikes narita layover page

hi there, my husband and I will also have a layover in narita and I typed in 'narita layover' in google and the above page came up which I printed off and have found so helpful
Old Feb 1, 2005, 3:56 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
How about a SEVEN hour layover

Have seven hours (arrive 9:55, depart 5 p.m.), could I make it to Tokyo.

From what I've found on the web, there are trains that run about every 20 minutes or so from the airport.

EmailKid
Old Mar 1, 2005, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Well,

just finished my 7 hour layover at NRT, where NONE of the staff inside the airport would give me a straight answer. But decided to head out anyways, and once outside the terminal found a helpful person at the Information Desk.

At her advice decided to stick to Narita. The train ride was quick, and the Xeroxed map of Narita where the temple is was very helpful. Decided to head back early in case the Immigration / Security line was long, and still ended up waiting over two hours in T2.

Thanks bostonbali for the tip about Yahoo Cafe !!! With what things cost in Japan (paid 420 Yen for a cappucchino in Narita), it was nice to have free internet access. And I was disappointed with the duty free shops - first time in a very long time I didn't bring any alcohol with me from my trip.

EmailKid
Old Mar 2, 2005, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Checkin time is 2 hours before departure unless you have status or are flying C/F.
Actually, what is the official cutoff time for checkin at NRT? Last week I showed up for my (TG) flight 45 min before departure, the lady at the counter didn't bat an eyelid and even gave me an entry coupon for the ANA lounge, where I managed to download my mail and swipe a few bottles of green tea before it was time to head to the gate.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:41 am

What do people think is the minimum time to (comfortably) visit Narita?

I have a 4+ hour layover from 7AM to 11:10 AM (arriving on SQ from SIN, departing to IAD on ANA). Is it even worth the trip at that early hour?
Old Mar 7, 2005, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
I would say that 4 hours is just enough time to make it worth it (and safe!); but there won't be much time to dawdle. It sure beats sitting around at NRT for 4 hours, though, IMO...

As for time of day, I can't comment on that from my experience.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 6:50 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpatokal
Actually, what is the official cutoff time for checkin at NRT? Last week I showed up for my (TG) flight 45 min before departure, the lady at the counter didn't bat an eyelid and even gave me an entry coupon for the ANA lounge, where I managed to download my mail and swipe a few bottles of green tea before it was time to head to the gate.
I don't think there is an official cutoff time. It also depends on whether you have to wait in a long line to check in, which could be a function of Frequent Flyer status with that particular airline. If they do check you in, they will generally hustle you through immigration if it is close to departure time, I see people walking through the immigration line with little sign boards about soon-to-depart flights all the time.

Given that there have been times when I have waited 45 minutes at the immigration line to enter Japan at Narita, I would say that 4 hours is NOT enough time to get into Narita City unless you are (a) lucky, (b) energetic and (c) already familiar with what to do.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Mar 7, 2005 at 6:53 pm
Old Mar 12, 2005, 9:30 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
3 hour NRT layover - any hope in leaving the airport?

As the subject says, I'm doing a SIN-NRT (on UA) and NRT-YYZ (on AC) with a 3 hour layover.

Is there any hope for me to leave the airport? If so, what's the 1 thing I should try and see for my first time in Tokyo?

If not, what's the best thing to do in NRT (I am *G)...

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 12, 2005, 10:11 am

Programs: AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG... you get the picture
if you're coming in on UA and leaving on AC, you have a terminal change. Your three hours will get sucked up in no time. Best to get checked in for the AC and snag some time at the ANA lounge.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 7:27 pm

need help for 17 hour NRT layover + young passenger

Hi,

I am a 14 year old that will be traveling to NRT on June 24th. My flight, NW5, will arrive around 5pm. My "connecting" flight is supposed to be at 6:40pm that day for CX, but it is unavailable yet(award ticket). The next flight is next day, around 11am. I am not able to check-in at a hotel since the minimum check in age is 18. also, the day room inside the terminal is only available until 21:30. I have no believes at myself going to a forein country without a adult. If the early flight is available, I still have a pretty tight schedule, around 90 min, can I make it?

--> If I did the online check-in thing over CX, can I skip both immigration part and check-in at the airport(no luggage), and head straight to the gate from my arrival NW gate? <-- I know it is hard to understand, but if you are confused, I am too..

Any other suggestion?

Any decent restarunts are available at the check-in terminal?

Are there any recommendation on wi-fi?

Are the seats good enough for a 6-8 hour sleep?

How much money would I need? (excluding wi-fi, i am gonna use my parent's credit card )

-->Gracias, thank you for every help here.

Last edited by beavk; Apr 30, 2005 at 7:29 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.