Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Narita International Airport (NRT) - Layover & Hotel
Where to stay overnight and what to do nearby

Narita Airport (NRT) is approximately 60 km from central Tokyo. It is blessed with numerous hotels, many with shuttles (served from the terminals' bus platforms) and often at surprisingly low rates for Japan. Some of these hotels offer free shuttles into the nearby city of Narita (Narita-shi).

If you have a few hours (say six or more) Narita offers many things to do--the Narita-san Shinsho-ji Temple and Park is beautiful and pleasant and on weekends one often sees performances of traditional arts and music. The Omotesando street leading there is lined with shops and restaurants, as well as a local museum.

See Mike Newman's Narita Layover Pages for many things one can do.

See the thorough online Japan Guide.

Read this article on CNN.

Some of the hotels at/near Narita Airport:
A - Radisson Hotel Narita https://www.radisson.com/narita-hote...-0221/jpnarita
B - Narita Gateway Hotel http://www.reservations.com/hotel/na...FQ-bfgodLi4M0A
C - Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu http://www.tokyuhotelsjapan.com/en/h...RIT/index.html
D - Narita View Hotel http://www.viewhotels.co.jp/narita/english/
E - Hilton Narita http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/jap...IHI/index.html
F - ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hote...cp/hoteldetail
G - Marroad International Hotel Narita http://www.marroad.jp/narita/eindex.htm
H - Narita Tobu Hotel http://www.tobuhotel.co.jp.e.mi.hp.transer.com/narita/
I - Hotel Nikko Narita http://www.nikko-narita.com/english/
J - Narita Airport Rest House (located inside the airport) http://www.apo-resthouse.com/english/
K - Toyoko Inn Narita Kuko http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00037/
L - Skycourt Narita http://www.sky-hotel.jp/narita/en/

Print Wikipost

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:59 pm

In Narita Terminal 1, how long would it take to walk (or run) from:

Arrivals on ANA T1-South Wing (from LAX)
Departures on KE T1-North Wing (to ICN)?

I had a schedule change on my ANA flight and may have to do an terminal sprint to make my connecting flight to ICN (if it is possible).
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by op487062
In Narita Terminal 1, how long would it take to walk (or run) from:

Arrivals on ANA T1-South Wing (from LAX)
Departures on KE T1-North Wing (to ICN)?

I had a schedule change on my ANA flight and may have to do an terminal sprint to make my connecting flight to ICN (if it is possible).
You will arrive at NRT Terminal 1 South on 4:25 p.m., then depart NRT Terminal 1 North on 5:00 p.m. Is this the case?

First, this is not legal connection. Minimum International-International connection at NRT is 45 min., this has to be on two separate tickets, airlines will not issue tickets which does not meet minimum connection time. Which means ANA at LAX will not check through your bags to ICN.

Also, KE closes check-in for international flights 40 min. before the departure. You need to check-in for your KE flight prior to arriving at NRT. Hoping to check-in and getting a boarding pass for your KE flight at NRT will not work. Hope you can web check-in for your KE flight prior to departing LAX.

At NRT, International-International connecting passengers have to go through the security check.

International-International connection at NRT Terminal 1

On above link on first diagram on the page shows "Security Check." When you deplane at NRT you will walk the corridor just like arriving passengers and will come to area with the sign of "International Connection." At this location you will show the boarding pass for your KE flight or your reservation detail of your KE flight and they will let your through the security check. You will come out to Terminal 1 South international departure gate area. From there you will go to Terminal 1 North where KE flight departs.

It will be tight. Finger crossed that your ANA flight will arrive on time, not even 5 min. late. Depends on how long will take to get out of your ANA flight, how long is the line of international connection security check.

If you miss your KE flight to ICN, KE code share with JIN Air flight to ICN departing 7:00 p.m. If you will be re-accommodated to 7:00 p.m. flight or not is all dependent on KE. Good luck.
muji and op487062 like this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
You will arrive at NRT Terminal 1 South on 4:25 p.m., then depart NRT Terminal 1 North on 5:00 p.m. Is this the case?

First, this is not legal connection. Minimum International-International connection at NRT is 45 min., this has to be on two separate tickets, airlines will not issue tickets which does not meet minimum connection time. Which means ANA at LAX will not check through your bags to ICN.

Also, KE closes check-in for international flights 40 min. before the departure. You need to check-in for your KE flight prior to arriving at NRT. Hoping to check-in and getting a boarding pass for your KE flight at NRT will not work. Hope you can web check-in for your KE flight prior to departing LAX.

At NRT, International-International connecting passengers have to go through the security check.

International-International connection at NRT Terminal 1

On above link on first diagram on the page shows "Security Check." When you deplane at NRT you will walk the corridor just like arriving passengers and will come to area with the sign of "International Connection." At this location you will show the boarding pass for your KE flight or your reservation detail of your KE flight and they will let your through the security check. You will come out to Terminal 1 South international departure gate area. From there you will go to Terminal 1 North where KE flight departs.

It will be tight. Finger crossed that your ANA flight will arrive on time, not even 5 min. late. Depends on how long will take to get out of your ANA flight, how long is the line of international connection security check.

If you miss your KE flight to ICN, KE code share with JIN Air flight to ICN departing 7:00 p.m. If you will be re-accommodated to 7:00 p.m. flight or not is all dependent on KE. Good luck.

Thank you very much for the details.

The ANA flight was booked as a VS award flight that was scheduled to land at 3:45pm—I guess ANA canceled the earlier flight until February.

I purchased the KE flight separately (and foolishly) hoping to minimize the layover time in NRT without taking into account any issues.
Fortunately I don’t have any checked bags.

The bad bad thing about the ANA flight is it is chronically late

Last edited by op487062; Nov 11, 2018 at 1:28 pm
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by op487062
The ANA flight was booked as a VS award flight that was scheduled to land at 3:45pm—I guess ANA canceled the earlier flight until February.
I don't know what NH's policy is regarding a 40min schedule change, but maybe you can call them and find out if they could change you to a different flight (earlier flight on partner airline or something).
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
I don't know what NH's policy is regarding a 40min schedule change, but maybe you can call them and find out if they could change you to a different flight (earlier flight on partner airline or something).
NH said because it was a VS award seat they cannot change it—I would have to go through VS to change.
They also said they don’t have any F seats available on any of their flights that day.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
This is probably the wrong thread - you'd get more help posting in the VS thread or KE to see if you can get any insight or help from them.

The real problem is that you booking separately with an optimistic connection time. I don't know if KE has a "flat tire" rule or would otherwise be helpful. If you had baggage checked through it might give you an edge - but maybe not.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:49 pm

Hi ,
I'll have 10 hours layover in Narita Airport, Tokyo for trip from SGN, Vietnam (ANA) --> NRT, Tokyo (ANA, operate by United Airlines) --> SFO. I'd like to go out and visit Sensoji temple in Asakusa, Tokyo. Please advise if this is possible and what's the best way/route to get there? Arrive NRT at 6:45am and depart 4:55pm. If not, please give some recommendation for checking out Tokyo.

Also do I need to collect luggage after arriving at Narita airport?

Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by phamdt8ft
Hi ,
I'll have 10 hours layover in Narita Airport, Tokyo for trip from SGN, Vietnam (ANA) --> NRT, Tokyo (ANA, operate by United Airlines) --> SFO. I'd like to go out and visit Sensoji temple in Asakusa, Tokyo. Please advise if this is possible and what's the best way/route to get there? Arrive NRT at 6:45am and depart 4:55pm. If not, please give some recommendation for checking out Tokyo.

Also do I need to collect luggage after arriving at Narita airport?

Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk. First, what passport do you hold? U.S. passport you do not need visa to enter Japan, where Vietnam passport you do need visa to enter Japan.

You can get to Asakusa directly by Keisei Line train. Not all trains from Narita Airport goes to Asakusa. Best is ask at Narita Airport station what is next train to Asakusa. Keisei Line runs directly into Toei Subway Asakusa Line, where Asakusa station is on Toei Subway Asakusa Line.

From Asakusa simply go back to Toei Subway Asakusa Line station and wait till the train bond for Narita Airport. There are two to three trains per hour form Asakusa to Narita Airport.

You should able to check your luggage directly to SFO at SGN, should not have to collect your luggage at NRT.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:41 am

I have a SFO-NRT flight on ANA First class landing at 3:25pm next July. I can choose the following connecting flights

1. NRT-CTS leaving 5:30pm for $130 per person (2 people) on ANA
2. NRT-CTS leaving 5:35pm for $65 per person (2 people) on Jetstar

Is it advisable to book on ANA so I don't need to switch terminals and I'm using the same airline (in case my SFO-NRT flight is late)?

Thanks
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by hamburglar
I have a SFO-NRT flight on ANA First class landing at 3:25pm next July. I can choose the following connecting flights

Is it advisable to book on ANA so I don't need to switch terminals and I'm using the same airline (in case my SFO-NRT flight is late)?

Thanks
Advantage of taking ANA on NRT-CTS is that your transfer will be within same Terminal 1, and also you get two free checked baggage. Jetstar you have to change terminal from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3 and has to pay for checked luggage depending on fare you pay.

ANA has only two flights per day on NRT-CTS, so protection in case of your delay SFO-NRT have not much of advantage. 5:30 p.m. flight is the last CTS flight of the day for ANA. If you miss 5:30 p.m. flight then option will be take a flight to CTS next day or head to HND and catch flight to CTS, where last flight of the day to CTS from HND is 8:40 p.m. but not sure ANA will put you on HND-CTS flight when holding NRT-CTS ticket. There is 9:30 p.m. HND-CTS but that is code share operated by AirDo, do not know ANA will put you on that.
hamburglar likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by hamburglar

Your flight is supposed to arrive at 3.25pm from SFO, correct?

First of all, between those two options, I'd definitely cross out #2 .
For option #2 , assuming your SFO-NRT flight arrives on time, you've got about 75min to go from gate, thru immigration/bag/custom to T1 landside (before heading over to T3). Do you feel comfortable with 75min, accounting for possible flight delay + possible long immigration queue? If your flight is delayed an hour, you might be screwed.
For option #1 , I'd say you get an extra 20min time pad on top of the above 75min... just because you're not changing terminals and there will be zero line at the NH bag drop.

On the other hand, if there was another $65 LCC flight that was departing from NRT after 6pm, then you've got a decision to make.

Although I always like to play it real safe when it comes to separate tix, personally I'd go with ANA. As long as flight times don't change, you'll most likely be fine.
Also, NRT-CTS costs only 5k UA miles! The reason you don't see that available now is because they only release the award seats 2mo out.
So if it were me, I'd continue to wait, making sure there are no flight time changes. Then when you're 2 months out, get the award seat. I'm fairly certain there will be 5k award seats available at 2mo out. If not, then you can look for the cheap gaijin special fare (~$110) or look for another LCC flight then.
hamburglar likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Vague but in a week instead of 2 hour layover Im going to make it 26, Don't drink, not a shopper, love nature, temples, food. ease. I would appreciate some help as to where to stay, simple but need king bed clean room, Not against luxury but like deals and tend to dress down, Not ino big cities as I am leaving for the mess of one the next day. Very little luggae and none checked. Flying economy JAL but back a few days later in F and will spend the same 26ish hours again. Thank you
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tobikosan
Vague but in a week instead of 2 hour layover Im going to make it 26, Don't drink, not a shopper, love nature, temples, food. ease. I would appreciate some help as to where to stay, simple but need king bed clean room, Not against luxury but like deals and tend to dress down, Not ino big cities as I am leaving for the mess of one the next day. Very little luggae and none checked. Flying economy JAL but back a few days later in F and will spend the same 26ish hours again. Thank you
Have you considered hiring a car?
You sound like an ideal candidate for this option.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Suggestions for a night near Narita
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by tobikosan
A layover in Narita sounds like just the thing for you. A local Keisei train will take you there. There's a large and well-known temple within walking distance of either the JR or or Keisei station, and another local Keisei train will take you to the National Museum of Japanese History, within walking distance of Keisei Sakura station. As far as food is concerned, Japan has more restaurants per square mile than any place I have ever been. Just pick one.

There are a lot of tourists and airline employees in certain parts of Narita, but on the whole, it's a fairly quiet small city.

I have stayed in two places in the town of Narita. One was a ryokan, so no king-size bed there. The other was the APA Hotel, which had rooms that were tiny even by Japanese standards. Others on this board recommend the Mercure, but I have no personal experience with it. Most other Narita hotels are located next to a four-lane highway outside of town. I stayed in one once, and it felt like staying in the area around my home airport of MSP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.