Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Narita International Airport (NRT) - Layover & Hotel
Where to stay overnight and what to do nearby

Narita Airport (NRT) is approximately 60 km from central Tokyo. It is blessed with numerous hotels, many with shuttles (served from the terminals' bus platforms) and often at surprisingly low rates for Japan. Some of these hotels offer free shuttles into the nearby city of Narita (Narita-shi).

If you have a few hours (say six or more) Narita offers many things to do--the Narita-san Shinsho-ji Temple and Park is beautiful and pleasant and on weekends one often sees performances of traditional arts and music. The Omotesando street leading there is lined with shops and restaurants, as well as a local museum.

See Mike Newman's Narita Layover Pages for many things one can do.

See the thorough online Japan Guide.

Read this article on CNN.

Some of the hotels at/near Narita Airport:
A - Radisson Hotel Narita https://www.radisson.com/narita-hote...-0221/jpnarita
B - Narita Gateway Hotel http://www.reservations.com/hotel/na...FQ-bfgodLi4M0A
C - Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu http://www.tokyuhotelsjapan.com/en/h...RIT/index.html
D - Narita View Hotel http://www.viewhotels.co.jp/narita/english/
E - Hilton Narita http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/jap...IHI/index.html
F - ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hote...cp/hoteldetail
G - Marroad International Hotel Narita http://www.marroad.jp/narita/eindex.htm
H - Narita Tobu Hotel http://www.tobuhotel.co.jp.e.mi.hp.transer.com/narita/
I - Hotel Nikko Narita http://www.nikko-narita.com/english/
J - Narita Airport Rest House (located inside the airport) http://www.apo-resthouse.com/english/
K - Toyoko Inn Narita Kuko http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00037/
L - Skycourt Narita http://www.sky-hotel.jp/narita/en/

Print Wikipost

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by evergrn
For budget hotels, Ueno is probably a better spot than Tokyo Station area. Ueno has nothing but budget hotels. It's very convenient to NRT and actually offers more than Tokyo station area. For your date, there's a bunch of options for ~$100 in Ueno, although I've not stayed in any of them personally. I remember some posters recommending Mitsui Garden Hotel as far as a decent hotel option in Ueno. Although that one runs ~$135/night for your date and I've not stayed there either, I'd just pay a little more to stay there rather than save $30-40 to stay in a 10m2 cubbyhole.
I agree. The Skyliner is fast and lands you in an interesting part of Tokyo: Ueno Park with its museums, the sidewalk stalls of Ameya Yokocho and other little side streets full of restaurants and shops, only a short distance to Asakusa. The Mitsui Garden Hotel is close to the station, and it gets good reviews, but you can really take your pick.

In contrast, the Tokyo Station area (I stayed there on my last night in Japan a few weeks ago to catch a night's sleep and a leisurely morning between the Shinkansen and the N'Ex) will give the impression that Japan is all "Westernized," which it isn't, of course, but that would be the superficial impression.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:36 pm

For budget hotels, Ueno is probably a better spot than Tokyo Station area. Ueno has nothing but budget hotels. It's very convenient to NRT and actually offers more than Tokyo station area. For your date, there's a bunch of options for ~$100 in Ueno, although I've not stayed in any of them personally. I remember some posters recommending Mitsui Garden Hotel as far as a decent hotel option in Ueno. Although that one runs ~$135/night for your date and I've not stayed there either, I'd just pay a little more to stay there rather than save $30-40 to stay in a 10m2 cubbyhole.
Originally Posted by ksandness
I agree. The Skyliner is fast and lands you in an interesting part of Tokyo: Ueno Park with its museums, the sidewalk stalls of Ameya Yokocho and other little side streets full of restaurants and shops, only a short distance to Asakusa. The Mitsui Garden Hotel is close to the station, and it gets good reviews, but you can really take your pick.

In contrast, the Tokyo Station area (I stayed there on my last night in Japan a few weeks ago to catch a night's sleep and a leisurely morning between the Shinkansen and the N'Ex) will give the impression that Japan is all "Westernized," which it isn't, of course, but that would be the superficial impression.
Thank you both. Ueno was actually my 2nd option, and it sounds like it may be the better one. I'll research this area some more.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
5 Hours at NRT

Hi All,

I have approx 6 hours at NRT from scheduled landing time to estimated departure time and I REALLY want to go outside the airport and at least see Japan for a few minutes. I've seen some reviews of people visiting Narita.

Flight arrives at 3PM at NRT and next one departs at 925PM for GUM. Bags *should* be checked in to GUM.

Give me reasonable thoughts please. I don't care if I have to run, I just want to see some Japan. Places I can go to, how I should get there and what I should do. All this considering my flights are on time.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:05 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it is easy to visit Narita town. You take either the Keisei or JR regular train, whichever is leaving next, and it's a less than 10 minute trip each way.

Unfortunately, your arrival time is a bit too late to do more interesting things, like the National Museum of Japanese History at Keisei-Sakura station as it closes at 5pm. Ditto for the other interesting thing, a recreated old Japanese village outside of Narita.

you might want to take a bus from either Keisei-Narita or Narita station to the big shopping center you will see on the way to Narita town. It's not exactly traditional but your layover is a bit too long for just walking down Omotesando St in Narita to the temple and back.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
As often happens, I sort of disagree with my friend Richard. If all you want is a quick taste of Japan, I think a 10 minute ride into Narita, coupled with a walk through the temple grounds and perhaps a nice Japanese meal somewhere along the shopping street would fill the bill. That would give you time to return to the airport in plenty of time before your flight, perhaps some shopping in the extensive retail area at NRT, some time on the observation deck and a little time in the executive lounge if you have access.

One thing to consider is what passport you are traveling on. I am assuming one that offers free shore pass or tourist visa availability. Some will not be so easy.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
As often happens, I sort of disagree with my friend Richard. If all you want is a quick taste of Japan, I think a 10 minute ride into Narita, coupled with a walk through the temple grounds and perhaps a nice Japanese meal somewhere along the shopping street would fill the bill. That would give you time to return to the airport in plenty of time before your flight, perhaps some shopping in the extensive retail area at NRT, some time on the observation deck and a little time in the executive lounge if you have access.

One thing to consider is what passport you are traveling on. I am assuming one that offers free shore pass or tourist visa availability. Some will not be so easy.
Costa Rican! No visa required!

Thank you for the suggestion. Anything works for me but I like the idea of a stroll and a nice dinner. I've always wanted to go to Japan but it was just too darn expensive to get to from PEK for a day.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: Delta
Unagi is famous in Narita. I recommend that you have it for dinner for a great Japanese experience. Here's one of the most well-known restaurants, though there are others.
https://tiptoeingworld.com/2016/12/u...o-narita-city/
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:01 pm

If it were me, I'd choose Aeon Mall over Narita town for sure.
For the OP whom I presume has never been to Jpn, I'd recommend what abmj-jr suggests.

If I recall correctly, a lot of the stores on that Omotesando street in Narita close around 6pm (but restaurants should stay open later).
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:13 pm

If it were me, I'd choose Aeon Mall over Narita town for sure.
Do you mean choose Aeon Mall over Narita airport (not town)?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by nishimark
Do you mean choose Aeon Mall over Narita airport (not town)?
I meant the town of Narita.
Narita's Omotesando street that leads up toward the temple has interesting vibe, but nothing that I've seen or eaten there has really blown me away. Best food I've had in Narita town is actually at Gyoza no Oushou lol. (have not had eel, though) Aeon mall would have a lot more things that would interest me.

But again, that's me. And particularly for someone who wants to get a taste of Jpn during a short NRT layover, I'd definitely recommend Narita town over anything else.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:34 pm

[QUOTE=evergrn;30066934]I meant the town of Narita.
Narita's Omotesando street that leads up toward the temple has interesting vibe, but nothing that I've seen or eaten there has really blown me away. Best food I've had in Narita town is actually at Gyoza no Oushou lol. (have not had eel, though) Aeon mall would have a lot more things that would interest me.

But again, that's me. And particularly for someone who wants to get a taste of Jpn during a short NRT layover, I'd definitely recommend Narita town over anything else.[/QUOTE

Ah, OK, I get it. Next week we have a long layover in Narita on way to Seattle. All these years, I've never been to Narita town (though too many times to Narita airport!). We're going there to walk around and have, of course, unagi for lunch. Don't know if I can get excited about an Aeon mall though, that's like the epitome of rural Japan blandness. But with the current heat, I'm sure we'll end up there for Starbucks or something.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
I'm not sure if the restaurant you referenced is the one with a group of chefs taking live eels, nailing their heads and preparing them for grilling (which is done close by). Depending on your level of squeamishness this could be interesting or not. There are lots of places serving eel but none of the others are probably quite as "fresh".
On the walking street there is a tourist information place about midway that I've passed many times, but last time I went inside and in the back room is a mini museum with some interesting samurai exhibits Free and worth 10 or 15 minutes.
Once when I was on the street they were filming some kind of TV/movie and it was quite interesting to see - handled very well with people asked to stop for a few minutes, film, stop - then they let people through, rinse and repeat. So you never know what you'll run in to.
The AEON mall (can be reached via a circle bus which you must pay for 100 or 200 yen) has a lot of stores, restaurants, food court and it is a/c but it is, after all, a mall. I'm not sure but I think you could do both but there really is an amazing amount of stores/restaurants to see at NRT so with a short amount of time I'm not sure I"d bother with the mall vs shopping/window shopping at the before immig. part of the airport.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by nishimark
Ah, OK, I get it. Next week we have a long layover in Narita on way to Seattle. All these years, I've never been to Narita town (though too many times to Narita airport!). We're going there to walk around and have, of course, unagi for lunch. Don't know if I can get excited about an Aeon mall though, that's like the epitome of rural Japan blandness. But with the current heat, I'm sure we'll end up there for Starbucks or something.
Since you live in Jpn, of course Aeon mall is nothing to get excited over.
But for a guy who lives abroad and only makes it to Jpn few times a year, Aeon mall is like paradise. (actually there're better malls these days and I feel like Aeon needs to step up).
If you've never been to Narita town, it may be worth checking out.
But if the current weather over there is anything like it was a couple weeks ago when I was there, I'd personally just stay at the airport even for 4-5 hours.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:34 am

Since you live in Jpn, of course Aeon mall is nothing to get excited over.
But if the current weather over there is anything like it was a couple weeks ago when I was there, I'd personally just stay at the airport even for 4-5 hours.
Yep, still hot and muggy. What a terrible summer this has been! Started in early July. We've got about 7 hours (!) for our layover, no way that we're going to spend that much time at an airport we've passed through too many times. Though I must say, the collection of peoples from all over the world at Narita airport is always amazing to me. Please turn on the cool rain in Seattle for me. :-)
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:37 am

Narita town is nice for a first-timer on a tight schedule. Omotesando St takes only 30 minutes to walk without stopping, there's free and fast wi-fi at the tourist information center. Be aware that the stairs going up the main temple grounds are a little steep.

If you're not going for the mall, spend some time browsing the local 7-Eleven and Lawson convenience stores. They stock cheap umbrellas and interesting snacks and drinks that are fun to figure out.

Last edited by FlitBen; Aug 10, 2018 at 5:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.