Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Narita International Airport (NRT) - Layover & Hotel
Where to stay overnight and what to do nearby

Narita Airport (NRT) is approximately 60 km from central Tokyo. It is blessed with numerous hotels, many with shuttles (served from the terminals' bus platforms) and often at surprisingly low rates for Japan. Some of these hotels offer free shuttles into the nearby city of Narita (Narita-shi).

If you have a few hours (say six or more) Narita offers many things to do--the Narita-san Shinsho-ji Temple and Park is beautiful and pleasant and on weekends one often sees performances of traditional arts and music. The Omotesando street leading there is lined with shops and restaurants, as well as a local museum.

See Mike Newman's Narita Layover Pages for many things one can do.

See the thorough online Japan Guide.

Read this article on CNN.

Some of the hotels at/near Narita Airport:
A - Radisson Hotel Narita https://www.radisson.com/narita-hote...-0221/jpnarita
B - Narita Gateway Hotel http://www.reservations.com/hotel/na...FQ-bfgodLi4M0A
C - Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu http://www.tokyuhotelsjapan.com/en/h...RIT/index.html
D - Narita View Hotel http://www.viewhotels.co.jp/narita/english/
E - Hilton Narita http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/jap...IHI/index.html
F - ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hote...cp/hoteldetail
G - Marroad International Hotel Narita http://www.marroad.jp/narita/eindex.htm
H - Narita Tobu Hotel http://www.tobuhotel.co.jp.e.mi.hp.transer.com/narita/
I - Hotel Nikko Narita http://www.nikko-narita.com/english/
J - Narita Airport Rest House (located inside the airport) http://www.apo-resthouse.com/english/
K - Toyoko Inn Narita Kuko http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00037/
L - Skycourt Narita http://www.sky-hotel.jp/narita/en/

Print Wikipost

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by JackieC2
Arriving at NRT from BKK at 8:25 am on ANA on Sunday, January 28th. Leaving at 5:05 pm on ANA for ORD. My friend is on TG from BKK to NRT and arrives at 7:35 am. She is on the same flight to ORD.

Thinking about taking a tour of Narita city with Rainbow Tours. Is this crazy to do in January?Too cold? Any other suggestions? I will have access to the ANA and United lounges but don't want to spend 7 hours in the lounge. My friend has never been to Japan so would be nice for her to see something rather than Narita airport.

We are returning from a two week trip to Vietnam and Cambodia. Anything different to see in Narita city?

Thanks!!
you defintely have enough time to pop into Tokyo. The tour might be cutting it close if there is a delay. But at last you have time to pop in, wander, see a few sights and eat some sushi or ramen!
Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by njxbean

you defintely have enough time to pop into Tokyo. The tour might be cutting it close if there is a delay. But at last you have time to pop in, wander, see a few sights and eat some sushi or ramen!
However, since Tokyo is a big and spatially disorganized city (think Los Angeles), you should probably read up on it and decide which area you want to end up in.
Most Narita Express runs land you at Tokyo Station (generic international business district) or Shinagawa (a fairly boring area). If you can catch one going to Shinjuku or Shibuya, they are major entertainment districts, although Shibuya is more trendy and Shinjuku, once the place to be, is a bit passé.
Another option, and probably the best one for a quick trip, is the Keisei Skyliner, which takes only 45 minutes to Ueno Station, a more interesting area, and runs every 20 minutes. Ueno has a park with museums (I like the Sh*tamachi Museum of prewar city life) and a zoo and is only two subway stops from Asakusa, home of Sensoji Temple and one of the more traditional-looking areas.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Narita City has an interesting walking street and some beautiful temples. Much easier and more relaxed than going into Tokyo (but also a lot less to see) - but after the transit both ways, etc doing a low stress easy tour of Narita and going to one of the local restaurants might be nice. The problem is that you won't have clothes for the cold weather either way!

Arriving at NRT from BKK at 8:25 am on ANA on Sunday, January 28th. Leaving at 5:05 pm on ANA for ORD. My friend is on TG from BKK to NRT and arrives at 7:35 am. She is on the same flight to ORD.

Thinking about taking a tour of Narita city with Rainbow Tours. Is this crazy to do in January?Too cold? Any other suggestions? I will have access to the ANA and United lounges but don't want to spend 7 hours in the lounge. My friend has never been to Japan so would be nice for her to see something rather than Narita airport.

We are returning from a two week trip to Vietnam and Cambodia. Anything different to see in Narita city?

Thanks!!
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Actually we will have winter coats for our return to Chicago. I have been to Tokyo 3 times. I’m not an expert but have been to many of the areas mentioned. I have not been to Ueno. The Askusa area was one of my favorites but it was in April. How early do we need to be back at the airport?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Actually we will have winter coats for our return to Chicago. I have been to Tokyo 3 times. I’m not an expert but have been to many of the areas mentioned. I have not been to Ueno. The Askusa area was one of my favorites but it was in April. How early do we need to be back at the airport?
Assuming you have already checked your baggage at the beginning of your return trio, and you also already have your BPs, In that case I would recommend getting back to NRT between 2:30 and 3:00 PM to avoid any stress, They are relatively efficient with the outbound immigration and security checks.

Now if you have lounge access..
Old Dec 27, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Assuming you have already checked your baggage at the beginning of your return trio, and you also already have your BPs, In that case I would recommend getting back to NRT between 2:30 and 3:00 PM to avoid any stress, They are relatively efficient with the outbound immigration and security checks.

Now if you have lounge access..

i do have lounge access. Flying J on ANA and have UA Club membership. Any suggestions on the best lounge?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:05 am

i do have lounge access. Flying J on ANA and have UA Club membership. Any suggestions on the best lounge?
Unfortunately not familiar with the ANA/UA Lounge options having only flown OW airlines from NRT, but I'm sure you could find info on those from either of their respective forums here on FT!
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:10 am

I'd definitely go with ANA Lounge (much better food offering), although recently there have been grumblings on here about ANA Lounge being too crowded.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
I've been to Japan twice before- travelling in a premium economy cabin.. One time customs line was decent, and the last time it was intense and super long.

This time, flew in J and FAs were handing out FastPass line access, which put us through immigration in literally 2 minutes.. impressive. Such a shame such a perk is only for J and not PY, which I usually fly!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
ANA wants you at the gate 30 minutes before departure, but even if you're checked in and all's good with your luggage, you need to clear passport check at entry, security and passport control.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:09 pm

~30 hour stopover NRT

I have a stopover in Tokyo on my way back to LAX from BKK on 21 February next year. Arriving at NRT 8:25 AM Thursday and departing NRT next day at 5:00 PM. I'll be with my dad and want to show him a quick taste of Tokyo. Was thinking of staying overnight around the Tokyo Station area since it's an easy on/of the N'EX, and I'd like to take my dad to Tsukiji. Any suggestions for hotels ~$100/night and sushi/ramen restaurants in this area?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:45 am

delete

Last edited by muji; Jul 22, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Old Jul 22, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
This time, flew in J and FAs were handing out FastPass line access
Originally Posted by muji
What airline were you flying, JAL (from Vancouver)?
Just researched it. It's actually called Fast Lane (not FastPass).The JAL YVR-NRT flight does not have first class seats, so it seems that the coupons (as they are called) on that route at times are given to business passengers.

edited to say: Don't want to get this thread off topic.
Fast Lane thread is here: NRT and KIX to introduce fast lanes for immigration

Last edited by muji; Jul 22, 2018 at 3:06 pm
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by slookx24
I have a stopover in Tokyo on my way back to LAX from BKK on 21 February next year. Arriving at NRT 8:25 AM Thursday and departing NRT next day at 5:00 PM. I'll be with my dad and want to show him a quick taste of Tokyo. Was thinking of staying overnight around the Tokyo Station area since it's an easy on/of the N'EX, and I'd like to take my dad to Tsukiji. Any suggestions for hotels ~$100/night and sushi/ramen restaurants in this area?
I'm afraid that Tsukiji is planned to be closed in Oct of 2018.. moving to a new location (https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/ea...-says-governor).

I have no idea if there are hotels @ $100 a night in that general area. Highly doubt it being that it is "central" Tokyo.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by slookx24
For budget hotels, Ueno is probably a better spot than Tokyo Station area. Ueno has nothing but budget hotels. It's very convenient to NRT and actually offers more than Tokyo station area. For your date, there's a bunch of options for ~$100 in Ueno, although I've not stayed in any of them personally. I remember some posters recommending Mitsui Garden Hotel as far as a decent hotel option in Ueno. Although that one runs ~$135/night for your date and I've not stayed there either, I'd just pay a little more to stay there rather than save $30-40 to stay in a 10m2 cubbyhole.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.