Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Narita International Airport (NRT) - Layover & Hotel
Where to stay overnight and what to do nearby

Narita Airport (NRT) is approximately 60 km from central Tokyo. It is blessed with numerous hotels, many with shuttles (served from the terminals' bus platforms) and often at surprisingly low rates for Japan. Some of these hotels offer free shuttles into the nearby city of Narita (Narita-shi).

If you have a few hours (say six or more) Narita offers many things to do--the Narita-san Shinsho-ji Temple and Park is beautiful and pleasant and on weekends one often sees performances of traditional arts and music. The Omotesando street leading there is lined with shops and restaurants, as well as a local museum.

See Mike Newman's Narita Layover Pages for many things one can do.

See the thorough online Japan Guide.

Read this article on CNN.

Some of the hotels at/near Narita Airport:
A - Radisson Hotel Narita https://www.radisson.com/narita-hote...-0221/jpnarita
B - Narita Gateway Hotel http://www.reservations.com/hotel/na...FQ-bfgodLi4M0A
C - Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu http://www.tokyuhotelsjapan.com/en/h...RIT/index.html
D - Narita View Hotel http://www.viewhotels.co.jp/narita/english/
E - Hilton Narita http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/jap...IHI/index.html
F - ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hote...cp/hoteldetail
G - Marroad International Hotel Narita http://www.marroad.jp/narita/eindex.htm
H - Narita Tobu Hotel http://www.tobuhotel.co.jp.e.mi.hp.transer.com/narita/
I - Hotel Nikko Narita http://www.nikko-narita.com/english/
J - Narita Airport Rest House (located inside the airport) http://www.apo-resthouse.com/english/
K - Toyoko Inn Narita Kuko http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00037/
L - Skycourt Narita http://www.sky-hotel.jp/narita/en/

Print Wikipost

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2017, 6:09 pm

I can probably figure it out.

Any suggested souvenirs to buy in Narita? Any specific food to try out aside from unagi?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:05 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by maortega15
I can probably figure it out.

Any suggested souvenirs to buy in Narita? Any specific food to try out aside from unagi?
Chiba prefecture - where Narita city and airport are located - is also (locally) famous for peanuts and strawberries.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Chiba prefecture - where Narita city and airport are located - is also (locally) famous for peanuts and strawberries.
You know where I can get the peanuts? I won't able to bring strawberries into the U.S. unfortunately.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by maortega15
You know where I can get the peanuts? I won't able to bring strawberries into the U.S. unfortunately.
I don't have a specific store in mind, but the peanuts are sold in various shops along Narita Omotesando.

For further info, possibly check out this place or this one for more souvenir ideas.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA OWE
Question Narita town park evening?

What is it like/advisable to walk around the park in Narita and other interesting areas of town at night, say around 7 or 8PM?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Development
What is it like/advisable to walk around the park in Narita and other interesting areas of town at night, say around 7 or 8PM?
Shops along the main tourist shopping road would likely be shut by then. Restaurants and convenience stores are open, but not much else.

If you're looking to shop at that time, try visiting the AEON mall.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by Development
If you're asking about safety, you are unlikely to encounter any street crime. But not much will be open.

The park where Shinshoji is located is a good place for a morning walk, and walking around outside in the daylight is a good way to combat jet lag.

I know that restaurants and hotel bars tend to be open, but don't expect a lot of night life or shopping.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: AM, UA, AA
10-hour NRT layover to Tokyo. Doable?

So here's the plan

I arrive on NH818 from PNH at 6:45
I'm guessing 90 minutes to process customs, then take N'EX Tokyo to Shibuya
That would have me at Shibuya around 10 AM
I plan to spend 3 hours and then at 1 PM head back to NRT to and be at the airport at 3 PM for my 5 PM flight to SFO

My bags will be tagged all the way so only carry on that I plan to leave in a locker

Is it too crazy or doable?

Thanks
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Just curious what you plan to do in Tokyo in 3 hours? Have u been to Narita town?
Originally Posted by rene86mx
So here's the plan
I plan to spend 3 hours and then at 1 PM head back to NRT to and be at the airport at 3 PM for my 5 PM flight to SFO

My bags will be tagged all the way so only carry on that I plan to leave in a locker

Thanks
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:51 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

This is doable, and I've done it, but only because I had a specific errand to complete. If you don't, most people would probably say there's too much time spent in transit, and a tour of Narita town is a better idea (some sightseeing, some food, some shopping).
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:42 pm

If you want to go to Shibuya, you'll have plenty of time to do so. 90 minutes for immigration/customs is like worse than realistic worst-case scenario. More likely, it'll be 5-20min for immigration & customs combined since you're not picking up luggage. If your plane's on time, you should make the 7.44am Narita Express (even accounting for the time spent at ATM in arrival concourse), getting you into Shibuya at 9.26am. On the way back, the 14.16pm NEx out of Shibuya will get you to NRT at 15.27pm, which should be plenty good for your 5pm flight since you don't have to stop at the airline counter.

So you'll have almost 5hrs in Shibuya.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Probably a little to pessimistic. I had a flight arriving at 7:30 am and had to wait 30 minutes or so in front of the post office (opening at 8:30 am) to pick up my sim card. I was in Ikebukuro shortly before 10 am.

Unfortunately both the NEX and the Skyliner don't have very early departures. If you make it through immigration and customs quickly enough, you might be able to catch the Limousine bus (departure from T1 @7.10/7.15; arrival at Shibuya @8.50 am): It's slower, but the earlier departure may make up for that.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: UA, NW
Do you want to get a taste of Japan, or do you just want to add Tokyo to your list of "places I have set foot in"?

If you want to experience Japan, Narita is a better option. You can tour a famous temple and relax in its wooded grounds, visit a Japanese shopping mall, eat authentic food in mom-and-pop restaurants, and buy some souvenirs. You can just walk around and see Japanese life up close in a leisurely manner before your next long-distance flight. A fifteen-minute train ride from the airport.

Or, you can take the N'EX to Shibuya, walk around in one of the most hectic and confusing neighborhoods of Tokyo, and come back a few hours later. Anyway, to my mind, if Shibuya is your thing, it's more interesting at night, when the neon signs are on, the projection-screen store fronts are featuring J-pop videos, the clubs are open for business, many of the stores are still open, too, and the famous scramble crossing is crowded with young people out for an evening.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Probably a little to pessimistic. I had a flight arriving at 7:30 am and had to wait 30 minutes or so in front of the post office (opening at 8:30 am) to pick up my sim card. I was in Ikebukuro shortly before 10 am.

Unfortunately both the NEX and the Skyliner don't have very early departures. If you make it through immigration and customs quickly enough, you might be able to catch the Limousine bus (departure from T1 @7.10/7.15; arrival at Shibuya @8.50 am): It's slower, but the earlier departure may make up for that.
I used to live in Shibuya. The NEX is not the most efficient way to get to Shibuya. In fact, it is much slower than the bus in the am. The bus pads its timetable for the worst case scenario. It shouldn't take more than 70 minutes in the morning. In the afternoon it is different. Also before 9 am the NEX operates as a commuter train, which makes the trip slower and it was always significantly delayed in my experience. I admit that I often took the NEX anyway because of the SUICA-NEX package, which is no longer offered.

Another option is the bus to the TCAT terminal, which departs every ~10 min, so it gives you the best flexibility. From there you can take the Hanzomon line to Shibuya (20 min) and you can stop and check places on the way (or back) like the Imperial Palace area and Omotesando.

There is also the cheapo bus to Ginza if that's still running. You can check out Ginza and then take the metro to Shibuya.

The Skyliner is also faster to Shibuya and without luggage the Yamanote line connection is not a problem. In fact, it could be an interesting experience, giving you a flavor of the city.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Also consider taking the Keisei Skyliner to Ueno/Nippori. Lots of temples around Asakusa, plus Ueno Park, the Skytower, Kuramae's burgeoning arts district.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.